Classic/Vintage games discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This thread is dedicated to classic and vintage games from back in the past, for some good dose of nostalgia and for newbies to learn about the roots of modern gaming.

That being said, the topics for discussion are:

- Classic games.
- Abandonware.
- Classic console games and their system emulators.
- Support for running older games on modern systems.

Resources:

- Internet Archive's software library: Play classic MSDOS games such as Prince Of Persia, Aladdin, Leisure Suit Larry and more in your browser.
- Emuparadise: Resource for pretty much all ROMs and emulators for almost every system.
- Abandonia: Largest abandonware site in the world.
- DOSBox: Open source DOS emulator for running older DOS games.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Ah those games...

Had only reached 4th level of original Prince of Persia.
Had reached 7th level of Dangerous Dave.
Had completed Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, Bomberman, Hercules.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I beat Prince Of Persia several times. I haven't beat Prince Of Persia 2: The Shadow And The Flame yet, same for Prince Of Persia 3D.
Wolfenstein 3D I have beat three episodes, Hitler is the final boss at the end of the third episode. Spear Of Destiny I beat completely, the end level where the walls change is awesome.
Hercules and Bomberman I only played the demo.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Spear of Destiny ending was in some nightmare dimension where you have to kill a demon or something, sent me chills as a child..
Anyone played Doom ? Was one of the favourite games of my childhood.
Doom 2 was the best, followed by Final Doom Plutonia experiment

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes. Completed all episodes of Doom. Haven't finished Doom 2 though mostly because of the large levels.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The last level was a nice surprise in Spear of Destiny. The demon actually felt scary at that age. There were ghosts in the level too. But they only gathered around you blocking your vision.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The ghosts were immune. You could not permanently kill them, only disable them temporarily.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Nice thread. Stickied for some time for visibility.

List of few of my old games that I used to love are following (from top of my mind):
Mario and Contra (of course, duh): Used to arrange Rs 1 coins and go berserk in some video game parlor, going gaga over every time I use to save Peach. Contra was awesome. I use to effing shout whenever I use to get that "S" gun powerup. The horizontal level, the vertical level, the level where our movement was restricted (couldn't jump) and have to shoot enemies from above. Damn Contra was so much fun.

Metal Slug 3: I had almost forgotten about this game when I recently found it on Steam. That game has a big nostalgia factor. At the time I didn't know it was Japanese game. The artworks makes so much sense now. Just look at the sprites of a single character from Metal Slug 3 and you shall know how great the game must have felt playing. Link: The Spriters Resource - Full Sheet View - Metal Slug 3 - Marco Rossi

My PC master race gaming began when I got access to a Pen 3 PC at my relative. I use to play many games on them like:

Carmageddon 3D: I have spend countless hours running through killing all cars to finish the level (never attempted to just race through them) and most hours trying to kill all those pesky zombies. Just blowing myself up with dynamites and then repairing the car by pressing backspace. I could never finish the level 7 where you had to blow up all tanks on a warship (it was time limit based).

Star Wars Rogue Squadron: This classic.. I played this game when I was not even introduced to Star Wars series. This game blew my mind. The air combat use to be unparalleled to my child's brain. And the music... I knew it was something epic.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of secrets: This was probably first EA game I played. This game was the single most reason I attribute failing of 1st year of my college. Finished this game many times. Collecting all Jelly beans, trying to find every hidden chambers and attempting to explore the map in general. This game with its magical spells and story based game play took over my mind.

Wolfstein 3D: Oh this game. This game was a nightmare. It was like someone converted that Win 98 Puzzle screensaver into actual maps that use to puzzle my naive mind. Trying to complete a level, find hidden doors for loot and killing guards tactfully was something I never forgot over a decade. Never completed this game though. Maybe someday now that I have it on steam. Or not.

Thanks for reminding my gaming childhood. It's a good topic to write an in depth blog about.

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Metal Slug series has some of the best pixel art. Even now it looks good. Metal Slug 3 and X are available on Steam AFAIK. Otherwise, you can also play Metal Slug X using a Playstation emulator.
Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets is probably the best Harry Potter game.
First time I played Wolfenstein 3D was on a black and white monitor on DOS in my school. The computer teacher had brought it on floppy once and was playing during the lunch break and let me play for a few minutes. It's now available to play online for free on the 20th anniversary of Wolfenstein: Celebrating 20 Years of Wolfenstein 3D - The Game That Started It All . Ported to HTML5 by John Carmack himself.
Other DOS games I've played: Dangerous Dave, Epic Pinball, Raptor: Call Of The Shadows, Disney's Aladdin (available for free online on the Internet Archive), Commander Keen (another good ID software sidescroller), Disney's Lion King, all of the Prince Of Persia series, etc.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I do have Metal Slug 3, thanks to Steam sales. (Did mention that in my post).

And yes, thanks to emulators we can play most of other DOS based games now. But the feel of playing them on cartridge based consoles were epic at the time.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If we are talking about Windows games, there was:
Unreal Tournament (1999)
Quake 3 Arena
Metal Gear Solid
House Of The Dead
Half Life and its mods
Road Rash
etc.

Half-Life had some really classic mods back in the day.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Before the consoe era we had the handheld game (black & white) if u all remember
it had 99999 games in array display such as Tetris & F1-Race and most popular Snakes with MIDI sound

We used to go after school to cybercafe to play the console games (it was a heavy machine) and played many games such as Contra, Mario, Spartan etc.
Wasted many Rs 1 coins but it was fun but within a month the machine was removed from Cybercafe due to Parents complain of addicted children.

then bought the 8-Bit Console and enjoyed every game, I still remember the popular names such as 999999 in 1.
many of my friends used to FLAUNT their collection of rare & unique cartridges such 3 in 1, 6 in 1 or 2 in 1.

I liked SPARTAN very much.

The good thing is we can play all these NES games on Android mobiles now.

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
One of my most favourite cartridges was a 4 in 1 cartridge containing Super Contra, Kage, Silkworm and Double Dragon 3.

Top Bottom