Choosing right combination of HDD and enclosure?

srdigit16

In the zone
I want 1 TB HDD for backup purpose. Is an internal HDD with enclosure better than external HDD so that it can also be used in desktop later?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I want 1 TB HDD for backup purpose. Is an internal HDD with enclosure better than external HDD so that it can also be used in desktop later?

I wont recommend using Internal HDD + Enclosure specifically, if you have Old HDD and want to make it external, then you may. Major reason is most external enclosures are not that great in terms of performance and reliability than external HDD. Also, most of them dont have good warranty etc.

If you want to use that HDD in a desktop after 2-3 years, then prefer getting external one and buy new one for the Desktop at that time, as performance of HDD also degrades. If you will be using it after 6-12 months on your desktop then you can go for enclosure + HDD way.

I wont recommend using Internal HDD + Enclosure specifically, if you have Old HDD and want to make it external, then you may. Major reason is most external enclosures are not that great in terms of performance and reliability than external HDD. Also, most of them dont have good warranty etc.

If you want to use that HDD in a desktop after 2-3 years, then prefer getting external one and buy new one for the Desktop at that time, as performance of HDD also degrades. If you will be using it after 6-12 months on your desktop then you can go for enclosure + HDD way.
+1

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone

I don't have old hdd to use on enclosure. As I am looking for a backup option wanted to know which is better

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless you live in a cold region which never needs you to run AC or you at least have a well cooled AC room, avoid putting internal 3.5" desktop hdd inside an enclosure. In fact even 4TB portable external HDD gets quite hot & easily reach 50C in a top floor room(no AC only water/desert cooler) in Delhi region during summer season when doing copy pasting of large amount of data(say 10gb+).

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Look at seagate backup hub, the 4 TB is actually cheaper than an internal 4 TB drive right now. It's a really good option.

Good quality enclosures cost a lot and aren't really worth it.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Unless you live in a cold region which never needs you to run AC or you at least have a well cooled AC room, avoid putting internal 3.5" desktop hdd inside an enclosure. In fact even 4TB portable external HDD gets quite hot & easily reach 50C in a top floor room(no AC only water/desert cooler) in Delhi region during summer season when doing copy pasting of large amount of data(say 10gb+).
i was testing it and WD 4TB crossed 50 mark in mid march 2018, ground floor when it was not hot and fan was not on. after the fan was switched on, it went down by 2-3 degrees.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was testing it and WD 4TB crossed 50 mark in mid march 2018, ground floor when it was not hot and fan was not on. after the fan was switched on, it went down by 2-3 degrees.
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/pathetic-after-sales-support-fraud-behaviour-by-wd-in-india.208960/

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/pathetic-after-sales-support-fraud-behaviour-by-wd-in-india.208960/
i have good experience of seagate - sent 500gb HDD back to my vendor next day after i realized there is some problem. vendor sent someone to dealer immediately, was told yes it has problem, will provide replacement within 2 hours.
it was given before that.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have good experience of seagate - sent 500gb HDD back to my vendor next day after i realized there is some problem. vendor sent someone to dealer immediately, was told yes it has problem, will provide replacement within 2 hours.
it was given before that.
Actually earlier(talking about pre-2012 era) the after sales support & overall quality of hdd was much better(just like laptops & LED TVs) for both seagate & WD. It is just in recent years that overall quality as well as customer support has gone down.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Actually earlier(talking about pre-2012 era) the after sales support & overall quality of hdd was much better(just like laptops & LED TVs) for both seagate & WD. It is just in recent years that overall quality as well as customer support has gone down.

good old days

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If your only usage is backups, then WD Purple offers good performance at almost the same cost of WD Blue, but carries 3 year warranty instead of 2.
You can use something like this as a hdd dock, that supports semi hot swap. (make sure you unmount)
*oricoindia.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=62

Top Bottom