Carrying PC components in an Internatinal Flight

anky

Youngling
Hi Guys,

I am not sure which section this post would go so Mods please move it to the appropriate section.

I had build a ssytem last year in august but now i am moving out of country in january. I was thinking of selling all my pc components and then buying a laptop over there.

Instead of that, i thought of selling just monitor, cabinet and keyboard and carry rest of the parts in the flight as a hand luggage. Has anyone ever tried this? will it be a problem at customs?

i will be going from Mumbai to Heathrow.

xtr3m3

Journeyman
Hi,

I used to live in Pune, and now work living in Dubai , yes u can take your pc with you without you needing to worry about customs.

But i suggest you to convert your PC into mini itx form factor as i did to save space and reduce weight of your rig.
Make sure to put your rig in the big bag (i had my thermocol protectors and cardboard box of my ITX case , which easily fit inside the full size travel bag)

Usually a single person can carry 1 big bag, 1 flight cabinet bag , 1 laptop bag
u can put all accesories in laptop bag (headphones , keyboard mouse etc..) like i did

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
i was just thinking of carrying Motherboard, RAM, CPU ,GPU and PSU, all in their original boxes and bills. and can put them in backpack and carry it in the cabin. i am worried about security check , will they allow or not.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
i was just thinking of carrying Motherboard, RAM, CPU ,GPU and PSU, all in their original boxes and bills. and can put them in backpack and carry it in the cabin. i am worried about security check , will they allow or not.
You can go with the following components to reduce the SIZE of the cabinet:
Asrock B250M-Pro4 -7000,
SilverStone SG13B (M-ITX) -4000.

Links:Buy Online | ASRock B250M Pro4 LGA1151 Intel B250 Motherboard | Price in India
*www.amazon.in/dp/B00U8IS89E/ref=pd...&pf_rd_p=cd818f9c-142a-4b42-ad2c-f0421857aaf5

maheshn

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I am not sure which section this post would go so Mods please move it to the appropriate section.

I had build a ssytem last year in august but now i am moving out of country in january. I was thinking of selling all my pc components and then buying a laptop over there.

Instead of that, i thought of selling just monitor, cabinet and keyboard and carry rest of the parts in the flight as a hand luggage. Has anyone ever tried this? will it be a problem at customs?

i will be going from Mumbai to Heathrow.

It is possible, but I would recommend against it. The PSU especially will contribute a lot of weight, and airlines these days are very strict in weight restrictions and you'll have to pay through the nose if it goes above the weight limit, or put it in checked baggage, which kind of goes against your purpose.

I would recommend taking a laptop instead if at all possible. It will be a lot easier.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will advice you not to take at least psu in cabin luggage as with all its wires & whatnot it will most likely be taken out of bag for manual inspection(one of my friend had to take out an induction cooktop/plate for manual inspection on a domestic flight while carrying it in backpack/cabin luggage).

OP
anky

anky

Youngling
It is possible, but I would recommend against it. The PSU especially will contribute a lot of weight, and airlines these days are very strict in weight restrictions and you'll have to pay through the nose if it goes above the weight limit, or put it in checked baggage, which kind of goes against your purpose.

I would recommend taking a laptop instead if at all possible. It will be a lot easier.

I can take that in check in luggage, that is not a problem for me.

See, as per my calculations -

If I sell whole setup which I bought at 75k, it will be sold for about 50k - 25k loss
if I sell only monitor , cabinet and keyboard (it is heavy) for about 10k - 6.5k loss (original cost of monitor , cabinet and keyboard is 16500)

Will buy used monitor and new cabinet plus keyboard from UK and just use my PC as normal.

Otherwise selling the PC at 50k for all the components and then buying the laptop at 60k , i.e already 25k loss and spending 10-15k extra for laptop.

and performance of PC will still be better than laptop - even if I have to pay about 3-4k extra for weight (chances of which is very less) then also IMO carrying the parts is still a better deal.

Top Bottom