Can't use keyboard during bootup.

mayurthemad01

Journeyman
Hello everyone, I have a hyperx mechanical keyboard. The problem is I can't use keyboard during boot screen i.e. del, f2 doesn't work while booting. Please help me, can't seem to find the solution anymore.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

patkim

Cyborg Agent
What motherboard do you have?

What interface the keyboard has?

Do you have alternate Num Pad Keys (17 Keys Section) on the right side of the keyboard?
If yes, did you try operating those keys e.g. DEL on Alternate Numeric Keypad?

The problem might lie in certain Firmware (BIOS/UEFI) Settings on your board. You may need to experiment with that. e.g. USB Settings, SATA/IDE Mode settings, Num Lock Seek at boot , BIOS Shadow settings etc.

Did you try connecting the board to alternate port on your PC?
Are you using any USB Hubs? If yes, remove.

Did you discover this behavior by chance or was it working before?

A somewhat risky option is to check if the board has any updates to UEFI/BIOS and if yes try to flash he BIOS to latest version and check also. I assume you are familiar with such procedures.

Last edited:
OP
mayurthemad01

mayurthemad01

Journeyman
What motherboard do you have?

What interface the keyboard has?

Do you have alternate Num Pad Keys (17 Keys Section) on the right side of the keyboard?
If yes, did you try operating those keys e.g. DEL on Alternate Numeric Keypad?

The problem might lie in certain Firmware (BIOS/UEFI) Settings on your board. You may need to experiment with that. e.g. USB Settings, SATA/IDE Mode settings, Num Lock Seek at boot , BIOS Shadow settings etc.

Did you try connecting the board to alternate port on your PC?
Are you using any USB Hubs? If yes, remove.

Did you discover this behavior by chance or was it working before?

A somewhat risky option is to check if the board has any updates to UEFI/BIOS and if yes try to flash he BIOS to latest version and check also. I assume you are familiar with such procedures.
Sorry for the late reply, i have a an Asus P8B75-M keyboard with Intel i3 core processor. My keyboard has alternate numpad keys (17 keys), I tried using them but no response I got. The keyboard lights up but I can't use during boot up.

I think if I have to use another keyboard to enter the boot setup. Please help

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I think your motherboard has PS2 port. (Do confirm by looking at the back panel of your motherboard) Just look for a very basic PS2 keyboard that you can get for as low as Rs 250 to 300 and connect it to the PS2 port and check again. Or borrow from a friend or any nearby computer repair shop.

If Function key and DEL works fine on PS2 during boot up then you are good to go. Disconnect your current keyboard temporarily when PS2 is plugged in.

There may not be any fault with your current keyboard, it could be the way BIOS sees devices and initializes them during boot up. However right now you have a Chicken & Egg problem. The issue might be in BIOS but you can not enter BIOS!

If PS2 keyboard works, explore certain BIOS Settings. Do you have any option like OnChip SATA port 5/6 or 4/5 as ACHI or IDE. Set it to IDE if so and check again.

What if you long press DEL with your current keyboard? Does it help?

Last edited:
Top Bottom