Dumbledore

Journeyman
I just bought a computer with the following config

AMD Phenom X4 9950 BE
ASUS M3A-H/HDMI
2GB Transcend RAM
3 hard disks 160GB, 250GB and 500GB
Winfast PX6600GT grafix

My problem is, I'm unable to install Mandriva on my computer. If I try to install Mandriva 2008.1, when I select the install option, my computer freezes after loading the kernel and shows a green line on the top. I have to restart after that.

In case of Mandriva 2009, after I select the install option, the kernel loads and then the system restarts. The DVDs work fine on my laptop, so there is no problem with the DVDs. Also, I only recently installed Windows 7 from the same DVD drive, so there can be no problem with the DVD drive.

I googled around a bit and noticed that people could install Mandriva on the same processor brand and motherboard brand, but I don't see anyone installing Mandriva with both together. Please help. The motherboard and the processor are still under warranty, so they can be replaced any time.

B

bashphoenux

well i am also facing same problem after installation just that comp. is still instead of restarting ..... i think mine the problem is because it couldnt load the graphics properly cos i dont have a gfx card

OP
D

Dumbledore

Journeyman
well i do have a graphics card as you can see from my comp specs. people please help, i need linux on my comp urgently!!!

vaithy

In the zone
I think it is video related problem.. what version is it Free or one.. if you have mandriva One then you may not face any difficulty as it have the nvideo drivers with it..

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
The problem is with the ASUS BIOS. Asus boards are known to not work well with Linux as they have acpi issues with linux which is reportedly purposefully done by Asus. You should be able to workaround it by using the acpi=off feature, try googling on it a bit.

Best thing to do is get the Asus board exchanged with your dealer for another one like gigabyte as you will have a lot of headaches with this on linux. Tell the dealer that the board does not support linux.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dumbledore

Journeyman
Sorry for the late response guys.

I have Mandriva Powerpack, so I have the nVidia drivers already in it.

Regarding acpi, can I get a more clear explanation please?

OP
D

Dumbledore

Journeyman
And Cyrus_the_virus, I've bought an ASUS m3A H-HDMI for my comp. I'll be glad if anyone here could suggest an equivalent msi or gigabyte replacement.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
At boot add the following parameters before you hit ENTER

noapic

or

acpi=off

First try with noapic. One of them should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom