Can't install kali linux on Windows 10

anarchy0x

In the zone
Getting Error: failed to copy d:\ to c:\win32-loader/linux when trying to install kali linux from WIndows 10, my laptop is amd ryzen 5 3550h.
Thanks

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You mean you are installing it using WSL? I think it installs directly from the Windows Store in that case.

If you want to make a bootable USB from the ISO to install directly on your machine, then use a tools such as rufus.

OP
anarchy0x

anarchy0x

In the zone
You mean you are installing it using WSL? I think it installs directly from the Windows Store in that case.

If you want to make a bootable USB from the ISO to install directly on your machine, then use a tools such as rufus.

No, not WSL but directly from Windows 10

patkim

Cyborg Agent
@anarchy0x

What version did you download? Kali 2020.4?
Did you verify the hash of the ISO as well as the hash of the setup.exe or win32-loader.exe whatever therein to confirm its integrity after download?
It could be that the setup exe therein is corrupt.
Try copying a few files from the mounted ISO/DVD/pen drive to C:\win32-loader folder (just to test) and see if it manually copies well or not?
Disable all antivirus on your Windows. Try running setup as admin.
Alternatively try an earlier version of Kali installer ISO. The setup therein might just work well on Windows.
Also this method of installing from Windows by running setup might have its own set of challenges w.r.t. Legacy vs UEFI boot. It’s more suited for Legacy boot.
What is the boot mode (Legacy MBR or UEFI GPT) in which your existing Windows 10 is installed?

Is there any specific reason why you want to stick to this Windows installer method?

Are you going to use Kali for penetration testing? If you have a compatible USB WiFi adapter, then installing Kali in Virtual Machine on Windows 10 host is also another option for you.

Last edited:

Willjoe

Broken In
There can be a wide variety of reasons for a Kali Linux installation to fail. This could include issues such as a corrupt or incomplete ISO download, not enough disk space on the target machine, etc. The following article will give you some pointers on what to look for when your Kali Linux installation has failed.

Regards,
Will

Top Bottom