Cannot access Orkut,facebook,avast, websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

karansthink

Broken In
I'm not able to access Orkut,facebook,avast etc. websites .I have tried Internet explorer,opera and firefox.Reinstalling these applications didn't fix the problem nor does deleting cookies... Firefox gave this message :
"Access Denied : Your page is blocked due to a security policy that prohibits access to category
Personals & Dating."

similar messages were given by opera and internet explorer.

Please Help:sad:,

Karan

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
I think you have a firewall installed! If you have Zone Alarm, go to Parental Control >> Categories and uncheck "Personal and Dating" or simply untick it.

Check the same if you have other firewalls also!

OP
K

karansthink

Broken In
Actually I have this problem(Cannot access Orkut,facebook,avast, websites) on windows xp but I have similar problem in Ubuntu(linux) too...
I'm running ubuntu from a bootable pen drive..does ubuntu have a firewall of its own?
In windows xp I'm using Comodo Internet Security suite ...but I was not able to find the parental control setting....
I am new to Comodo Internet Security suite and to ubuntu...
I think it is a malware that's creating the problem as I'm not able to visit any computer security related website....nor can I update my antispyware(spybot-search and destroy)...:sad:

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
According to many, linux is not infected by malware as the viruses are targeted to windows users. But if you are facing the same problem then your ISP may have blocked it. Try using a proxy site to see if you could open those security related websites.

Hmm.... why don't you scan your comp. with Malwarebytes Antimalware or Trojan Remover in Windows and see! Also try opening the websites switching the firewall off as your firewall might be blocking them.

And if you have SP2 installed, update it to SP3.

OP
K

karansthink

Broken In
I tried the antimalware and trojan remover.....trojan remover showed that svchost.exe is started by a hidden registry entry...it gave the option to fix it but actually it wasn't able to do that...then I noticed another problem that firefox would not show its window but I saw firefox.exe running in task manager....So, I finally reinstalled windows....:cry:
Everything is fine now and I'll have to start from the scratch again....Thanks for your help..I really appreciate it....:smile:

open
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

open the file host with notepad

there will be a starting line like this
# Comment
127.0.0.1 localhost

and after that u will see your blocked sites below it !!
just select the line containing :
127.0.0.1 www.orkut.com (or facebook or whatever)

and save that file !!

ya if it shows u write protected error then go to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

right click the host file and unmark it as read only !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom