Can this Sapphire card be unlocked

darth_vader1280

Broken In
i have this sapphire 6950 2gb card, can this be unlocked to 6970.

*www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1041&pid=1082&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Highly improbable. You can try to unlock the shaders by RBE. But make half a dozen copy of the original BIOS (;))and you have to do it in the old school way, ie, backup the original bios, now unlock shaders through RBE (or any other method you want) and save that BIOS, flash, check your results, if something went wrong restore the original BIOS and all this time pray a LOT!!!

Or just be happy with what you have got, its already powerful for all the games currently available and at your resolution you will barely face any frame-rate issue.

And a word of caution, don't just flash to a 6970 BIOS, its got higher power requirement which the 6950's power circuitry will be unable to provide and in long run it will ultimately damage your card.

sukesh1090

Adam young
what i suggest is be happy with what you have got than repenting later.your card is more than enough to play any games available today and in near future.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Experiment it prior to your next upgrade. You might just extend the shelf life of your card.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, you can unlock the shaders of 6950 (1408) to that of 6970 (1536), with a lot of LUCK!!!

rchi84

In the zone
There's a bit of a misconception about the whole unlocking thing. Let's go back to December, when AMD had to release the 69xx series, as the Geforce 5xx series had been launched to very positive reviews. The 570 beat the 6870 and 5870 comfortably enough and the 580 was untouchable.

AMD had to respond and had to release the 6950 and 6970 in time for christmas, which is a critical sales period in the US and other developed markets. They had issues with production of 6950 and 6970 PCBs, and in order to meet the deadline, they decided to release both 6950 and 6970s with the 6970 PCB, the only difference being that the 6950 models would be clocked lower, with lower grade memory to cut costs and the number of shaders would be reduced to 1408 in the Bios, to artificially create a performance gap. Now why they decided to go the dual bios route is still not clear..

Once the cards were released and the reviews started coming in, some people noticed that the performance difference between the two cards was almost too perfect around 10% consistently, in title after title. And physically, the cards were identical.

So some guy decided to slap on a 6970 Bios, just to see if he could unlock it. He did and the news burst out on the internet and boosted the 69xx sales.

AMD meanwhile, sorted out their production issues around March, and now had enough supply of 6950 and 6970 PCBs to sell to the market. The new batch of 6950 PCBs were manufactured with 1408 shaders from the start and thus, there are no hidden shaders to unlock anymore.

The flurry of unlocks happened in the initial months, I would say between December to March in the US, and from January to May everywhere else, with reference PCBs with a dual bios switch, 2 GB Vram and the stock cooler on the right side. But now, since AMD was aware that unlocking had given them a lot of word of mouth publicity on the internet, they had to release random 6970 PCBs in the guise of a 6950, to keep the buzz alive and continue the strong sales..

The majority of 1GB 6950 models are the new PCBs, with a central cooler, and unlocking on these is very rare. Almost all the new 6950s, even with 2GB Vram, are custom cooled, with redesigned PCBs which in most cases only have 1408 shaders. Any new unlocks you hear about from now on, will be entirely due to luck with the random 6970 PCB I talked about earlier.

Unlocking the shaders themselves gives you a very small boost, and only when combined with an OC to 6970 clocks do you get a boost.

Sorry for the long post :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The flurry of unlocks happened in the initial months, I would say between December to March in the US, and from January to May everywhere else, with reference PCBs with a dual bios switch, 2 GB Vram and the stock cooler on the right side. But now, since AMD was aware that unlocking had given them a lot of word of mouth publicity on the internet, they had to release random 6970 PCBs in the guise of a 6950, to keep the buzz alive and continue the strong sales..

Nicely summed up, just couldn't agree with this sentence. AFAIK, currently only the PowerColor cards can be unlocked to a certain extent of certainity as they are still using some original PCB with their cards. Rest like MSI, Sapphire, HIS, ASUS, XFX -all are using custom PCBs for their 6950 and most of them are unlockable. So, AMD is not exactly releasing random cards with unlocking capability, it is more or less up to the manufacturers, and almost all of them are unwilling to give their customer a free upgrade.

And MSI has earlier released a "special" unlocked BIOS to work specifically on their 6950 TFIII. Apparently that card can be unlocked with a little bit of tweak. But as you have rightly said the failure rates are on the higher side now. And with a 6950 is already a beast at FullHD gaming, I see little point in voiding your warranty. I would rather reserve it to try before my next upgrade.

Another question, ain't the shader cores reside in the GPU, which remains unchanged for every 6950. So if the additional shaders are not laser cut, you may still try your luck with any PCB. Just asking.

Last edited:

rchi84

In the zone
You can try your luck. But the thing is, it's better to try it with a model that has a dual bios, because in the worst case, if you screwup the flashing process, you can always have a default working Bios to fall back on.

The 1GB and the new 2GB models don't have a dual bios switch, so if things are screwed up, it's a headache of having to enable your onboard video/backup GPU(if you have an additional PCIE slot), booting into windows, doing a command flash restore and praying that things work again..

not worth the risk without a dual bios switch. You can always get more performance by simply OCing your card to 6970 levels, which almost 80% of 6950s have no problem of matching..

@skud, I meant to say AMD was releasing random 6970 PCBs as 6950 to manufacturers.

Powercolour had to withdraw the 6950 PCS++ model from the market, because they couldn't guarantee that the supply of 1536 PCBs would continue. There were complaints from a couple of customers whose shader counts didn't increase when they flipped the other Bios switch on and Powercolour couldn't guarantee a replacement which had all the shaders intact..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
:+1:

As I have already told, trying before the next upgrade in the best option to me.

Top Bottom