Can a faulty GPU kill Motherboard & processor?

Vyom93

Journeyman
It started 2 months back when my gpu started displaying red vertical line so I went to my local pc shop that guy told me that gpu memory was short & he can fix that & he fixed the card & it was working fine,3day before my pc just started freezing when i started games then no display I went back to the shop & the gpu was working on his pc so I tried on my pc it work for 1day the same no display went back to him tried his gpu on my pc same no display then we checked ram,psu motherboard & motherboard chipset was getting extremely very hot we can't even touch it so he told that the MB chipset was faulty so got new motherboard & same thing no display on my gpu changed the gpu it was working & my gpu was dead.Came home installed my old gpu pc started crashing & when I power on it would stuck on windows loading then after cutting power on second time it would start normally then when restart from windows it would restart but after shut down it won't start at first time i tried formating reinstall windows same thing.Again went to the shop he said keep the pc so he can check now he say that my processor he failing cache test so it's faulty.

Want i think is that then i got repaired my gpu it was having some problem so it killed my MB chipset and because chipset was faulty it might have killed the processor.

It's all most 5 years old
My pc spec:
AMD FX8350
ASUS M5A970 LE 2.0 (old)
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P (new)
Sapphire R9 280x
Gskill ripjaw 4x2
Corsair RM 650
SAMSUNG 840 120GB SSD

Last edited:

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Gradually he will replace all your components and celebrate happy new year. Sorry can't help you. We have no clue what he did for the first time on your GPU.

OP
V

Vyom93

Journeyman
Gradually he will replace all your components and celebrate happy new year. Sorry can't help you. We have no clue what he did for the first time on your GPU.
I tried doing troubleshooting at home pc doesn't even boot on Linux & failed with in 5min in Aid64 in windows.

I have no option than upgrading my pc but will not be buying from him.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I tried doing troubleshooting at home pc doesn't even boot on Linux & failed with in 5min in Aid64 in windows.

Vyom93, you should never go to the shop keeper man, you should always aprroach the distributor or the service centre of the components.
We can never know for sure what killed the CPU, but I suspect its the faulty repair of the GPU that caused its demise because you have a high quality PSU.
When my LGA1151 MSI motherboard CPU socket got burnt, normally any RMA center will not honour burnt components but in my case MSIs Accro Engineering took it and sent it for RMA but bang came the reply that its non-repirable but they in fact gave me a refurbished motherboard of the same model.
I used it for another 2 years before selling it to a member in another forum. He is still using it for his business.

OP
V

Vyom93

Journeyman
Vyom93, you should never go to the shop keeper man, you should always aprroach the distributor or the service centre of the components.
We can never know for sure what killed the CPU, but I suspect its the faulty repair of the GPU that caused its demise because you have a high quality PSU.
When my LGA1151 MSI motherboard CPU socket got burnt, normally any RMA center will not honour burnt components but in my case MSIs Accro Engineering took it and sent it for RMA but bang came the reply that its non-repirable but they in fact gave me a refurbished motherboard of the same model.
I used it for another 2 years before selling it to a member in another forum. He is still using it for his business.
Yes I never do repair locally,I usally go service center only but this time I thought lets try it as my pc is 4yr old I never thought that repairing gpu might kill my almost whole pc.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
You should have posted your problem here when it started for forum members to give good advice.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Rockfella why do you always post such jokes dude?
Vyom93 is already in pain because of that cheater fellow who destroyed his PC.
Glad to know we understand the cheater's motive. Vyom should have posted the problem before going to him. How will he test component by component?

Last edited:

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Something like this was done by a gigabyte center as well. Out of warantee board was replaced. I used it for 3 more years without problems.
Vyom93, you should never go to the shop keeper man, you should always approach the distributor or the service center of the components.
When my LGA1151 MSI motherboard CPU socket got burnt, normally any RMA center will not honor burnt components but in my case MSIs Accro Engineering took it and sent it for RMA but bang came the reply that its non-repirable but they in fact gave me a refurbished motherboard of the same model.

quicky008

Technomancer
If the rest of your components are working fine and the issue lies only with the mainboard,you can get it replaced for about 5-7k quite easily.Just go to any decent hardware store and ask them to do the assembling for you rather than relying on that deceitful seller again.

Btw what exactly is a cache test failure?I've never encountered such an error with any of the cpus i've used till date.Make sure that the cpu is really faulty before you assume that he's telling the truth.

OP
V

Vyom93

Journeyman
If the rest of your components are working fine and the issue lies only with the mainboard,you can get it replaced for about 5-7k quite easily.Just go to any decent hardware store and ask them to do the assembling for you rather than relying on that deceitful seller again.

Btw what exactly is a cache test failure?I've never encountered such an error with any of the cpus i've used till date.Make sure that the cpu is really faulty before you assume that he's telling the truth.
Yes we tried changing MB & its not working system freeze & crashing & fails in Aid64 hardware failure in cpu cache test.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom