Buying iphone 3GS (unlocked and Jailbroken) for 200-250 USD....Have Queries ??

raksrules

Youngling
I had previously considered getting the iPhone 4 but the unlock thing is really not software based and i don't want the hassle of gevey SIM etc etc. So i have decided to get the iPhone 3GS. This phone is for my wife and hence NOT for a power user or user who cares about dual cores and Operating system. I have a heard a lot about the Iphone OS (iOS) usability from a novice user's perspective. Someone who does not care much about tinkering with the phone and figuring things out. If at all any tinkering is required, i will do for her.

So here are my queries

1. Is the iPhone 3GS used at 200-250 USD for a unlocked and jailbroken a good price ??
2. Are all iPhone 3GS, all baseband / firmware etc software unlockable (no gevey/turbo SIM) ??
3. Does the latest version if iOS (i.e iOS 5) work fine with 3GS and can the phone still be unlocked and jailbroken ?
4. How is the performance of iOS5 on 3GS, lags etc ??
5. Is this phone a candidate for a non power user wanting a touchscreen phone.
6. Do all apps that work on iPhone 4/4S also work on 3GS ? Lower screen resolution hinders anything from apps not running ?
7. Does the iPhone 3GS use a regular SIM or a Micro SIM ?
8. Does the iPhone 3GS unlocked / jailbroken with iPad baseband have GPS issues ? If yes then what ??

PS: I have had other phones in mind like the captivate but i don't want her to go the android way as i know she finds it bit difficult using it. (i have a ZTE Blade)
I am in USA so buying here is the only option.

Please take your time to answer them and guide me more.

ujjwal321

Journeyman
I had previously considered getting the iPhone 4 but the unlock thing is really not software based and i don't want the hassle of gevey SIM etc etc. So i have decided to get the iPhone 3GS. This phone is for my wife and hence NOT for a power user or user who cares about dual cores and Operating system. I have a heard a lot about the Iphone OS (iOS) usability from a novice user's perspective. Someone who does not care much about tinkering with the phone and figuring things out. If at all any tinkering is required, i will do for her.

So here are my queries

1. Is the iPhone 3GS used at 200-250 USD for a unlocked and jailbroken a good price ??
2. Are all iPhone 3GS, all baseband / firmware etc software unlockable (no gevey/turbo SIM) ??
3. Does the latest version if iOS (i.e iOS 5) work fine with 3GS and can the phone still be unlocked and jailbroken ?
4. How is the performance of iOS5 on 3GS, lags etc ??
5. Is this phone a candidate for a non power user wanting a touchscreen phone.
6. Do all apps that work on iPhone 4/4S also work on 3GS ? Lower screen resolution hinders anything from apps not running ?
7. Does the iPhone 3GS use a regular SIM or a Micro SIM ?
8. Does the iPhone 3GS unlocked / jailbroken with iPad baseband have GPS issues ? If yes then what ??

PS: I have had other phones in mind like the captivate but i don't want her to go the android way as i know she finds it bit difficult using it. (i have a ZTE Blade)
I am in USA so buying here is the only option.

Please take your time to answer them and guide me more.

1. That is a good price for and unlocked iphone 3gs
3. Ios 5 works well if the phone is factory unlocked.. If it is software unlocked then there is no unthered jailbreak available that means every time you restart the phone you have to connect the phone to computer.
5. This is a perfect phone touch screen phone for a non power user.
6. Most of the apps works perfectly on 3gs.
7. Regular sim card.
8. Baseband 6.15 has gps problem.

dhanraj

Broken In
1. The pricing sounds decent.

2. The below baseband's are software unlockable.
06.15.00 (iPad Baseband)

3. iOS 5 works very well on iOS 5. 3GS on old bootrom has untethered jailbreak.
I am using a 3GS on iOS5 software unlocked with untethered jailbreak.

4. I don't see any performance problems on my 3GS due to iOS 5 update.

5. Yea it is a decent choice for non-power users, though u might be able to find good deals on Android based phones on similar pricing.

6. All apps work fine on 3GS with no problems.

7. iPhone 3GS uses a regular SIM card.

8. As mentioned by ujjwal321, after upgrading to baseband 6.15.00 users report issues with gps.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom