Buying External Harddisk

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Folks,

Space and I want space..

Going to buy an external HDD (capacity upto 4TB).Shortlisted WD Passport 4TB.But the prices are high now. (may be due to GST).

If anybody, finds cheaper one under 9~10k. Please tell me :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
See this:
The Best Portable Hard Drive

Wait for a 1-2 weeks before buying imported pc parts like hdd,ram,processor,mobo etc.Now that all checkposts are gone,transit time & expenses for shipping from port cities to far away cities has also gone down & should reflect in prices of new stock.

4TB hdd is indeed a risk but as long as you have a good fast UL internet connection & majority of the space is going to be used for such data that can be re-downloaded easily,it is worth it.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Unless you want a 4 TB drive for commercial reason (like stocking up lots of footage before editing them) 4 TB is indeed a bigger risk.
I would say taking care of your drive, like keeping it on places which is not easily accessible (not on computer table), ejecting properly, keeping a tab on SMART data for its health, a 4 TB is STILL freaking huge basket to keep all your eggs at one place.

Better to have 2x2 TB HDDs.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Unless you want a 4 TB drive for commercial reason (like stocking up lots of footage before editing them) 4 TB is indeed a bigger risk.
I would say taking care of your drive, like keeping it on places which is not easily accessible (not on computer table), ejecting properly, keeping a tab on SMART data for its health, a 4 TB is STILL freaking huge basket to keep all your eggs at one place.

Better to have 2x2 TB HDDs.
I agree, but a 4TB has better cost per gigabytes as compared to 2x2TB one...what do u say ?
Btw, anybody using 4TB external HDD in TDF ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No,USB one that launched exclusively on Amazon India here in Nov 2016 I think.It is the largest USB portable HDD as of now.

@Nerevarine Well that's good if that's what you need.For me,my needs are a bit large.Currently I have around 10TB in portable external HDDs & around 7TB in internal HDDs.:)

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Sorry about an offtopic question, how much free space does a 2tb internal drive have?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In digital world base number system is 2(binary number system) not 10(aka decimal number system). So One Thousand is not 1000 but 1024.However HDD manufacturer advertise the capacity in decimal system so the actual space of HDD is always less than advertised capacity(because at every stage you are dividing by 1024 & not 1000.e.g.100000bits is 100000/1024=97.65kb but advertised value will be 100kb).In case of 1TB hdd the bits are 1000000000000 but divide it by 1024 three times & you will get ~931gb so basically manufacturers are advertising decimal system values but PC will use binary system values.

Top Bottom