Buying a New Power packed Laptop

Bharat Dabrai

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,

recently i have decided to go for a new laptop. a laptop with some power which can do many things - mainly gaming and light surfing

i have shortlisted two laptops - here is the details

Inspiron 17r SE

Processor
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor (3M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)

Operating System
Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)

Memory
4GB 1 DIMM (4GB x1) DDR3 1600Mhz
8GB 2 DIMM (4GB x2) DDR3 1600Mhz

Chipset
Mobile Intel® 7 Series Express Chipset (HM77)

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GDDR5 2GB

Display
17.3" 3D Capable FHD WLED True-Life (1920x1080)

Second option is

Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 3,610QM (2.30Hz, 6MB L3 Cache)

Display
LCD 39.62cm (15.6) SuperBright 300nit HD+ LED Display (1,600 x 900), Anti-Reflective

Graphic Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M Graphics, Optimus™ technology
2GB DDR3

Memory
8GB DDR3 System Memory at 1,600MHz (4GB x 2)

both specs are pretty even, difference being i5 vs i7 one is dual core other is quad core. - samsung wins on th
Graphic card both are the same but inspiron features ddr5. - dell wins this one

its 1 - 1 so can you guys tell me which i should go for - very confused

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
You also need to consider the screen size. Do you really need a 17" monitor? It's more on the bulky side. I prefer 1 15.6" myself, but your requirement might be different.
Between DDR3 and DDR5, for normal usage, there isn't much difference. I wouldn't consider that as a deal-breaker.

If I were in your shoes, I would pick the Samsung model.

middy

Even I'm confused b/w two..

I was in a mood to buy the Samsung 550p-S02 model when I came across this website

Inspiron 17r or NP550P5C..Confused which 1 to buy.need help - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

I am quoting what the users posted there.

Hey guys i want to buy a new laptop but a bit confused betweeen these 2 laptops..

Here are the specs of these 2 laptops:

::::::::::Samsung NP550P5C-S02:::::::::

intel i7 3610QM-2.3 GHz with turbo boost upto 3.3 GHz

NVIDIA GT 650M-2 GB DDR3

::::::::::DELL INSPIRON 17R SPECIAL EDITION::::::::

intel i5 3210M-2.5 GHz With Turbo Boost upto 3.10 GHz

NVIDIA GT 650M-2 GB GDDR5

(i m not bothered about the rest of the specs)

I m confused because ,as gddr5 has twice bandwidth than the ddr3,so it will result in a better performance but having i5-3210m(which is half the performance of i7-3610qm) will result in a decrease in the performance ..So,from overall point of view, i suppose the performance of both the laptops will be balanced...Then again having i7-3610qm i can play those games releasing in the near future which will require quad cores instead of dual core...So i have set my mind of buying NP550P5C-S02IN but don't know whether my decision will be in my favour or not...Hence i want ur valuable opinions on this...So plss do help me ..I JUST WANT THE BEST PERFORMANCE FOR GAMING..So according to that give ur opinions..

i have also read the reviews on Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News - Notebookcheck.net and found some cons in samsung np550p5c like display quality is not so good though it has anti reflective screen, aslo it has some heating problem and u can also check the default clock speeds of nvidia gt 650m in both the laptops..
samsung-2gb ddr3-deafault core clock 410 MHz,memory=900 MHz,turbo core clock upto 950 MHz

dell-2gb ddr5-deafault core clock 745 MHz,memory=1000 MHZ,turbo core clock=835 MHz
Again on heavy loading both the laptops drops to their original core clock speeds..If that happens then the performance of samsung will drop to a very low level(410MHz) which is not in the case of dell(745 MHz)..

Now I'm confused, because if the above info is true and the base clock speed of dell is higher then it will perform better even if laptop is overheated whereas in samsung fps will drop.

What do you suggest guys?
Which one to go for?

P.S: IF S02 is discontinued(rumours :-? ) and is replaced by S03, then which one should we choose, viz S03 or inspiron 17r se? S03 doesn't has a bluray as per flipkart Samsung NP550P5C-S03IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1 TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook

dell inspiron specs here : Dell New Inspiron 17R SE Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Notebook

OP
B

Bharat Dabrai

one all for both

problem with samsung is its availability and i do like 17 inch screen of dell. fr me mobility isnt an issue am still confused guys

i knw fr a fact better GPU = Better gaming - but in this case its same model and one is DDR 3 Vs DDR 5. how much of a difference does it make.

and i5 (dual core) Vs i7 (Quad core) - how much diff this makes.?

but isnt it true that GPU alone cant determine gaming CPU support is must.

what if i am playing a game like fifa 13 which is not that tasking on the machine but i also was editing some pics at the same time.

guys still confused... advice pls.

Add Sony vaio SVS15116GNB to the mix.

same as samsung 550p, except nvidia 640m gt card.

now out of three which is better

Top Bottom