Buying a gaming laptop from US. Warranty? HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Hi Everyone,
My cousin is in US right now and told me he could get me a laptop..
I am basically looking for a laptop which can play most modern games at medium quality at 720p resolution and with preferably a 3hrs battery life. Most importantly, the warranty should be applicable in India.

I heard Asus and Dell laptops have no problems and come with default international warranties? But Acer and MSI laptops don't. Not sure about others.(Read that Sony Vaio lappies have problems getting services if brought from outside, Toshiba and Lenovo model dependent?)

Here is the basic config needed:
Proccy: Any
RAM :3 gb or 4 GB
HD : 320 or 500 gb 7200 rpm preferable
Graphics Card : Nvidia GT 335m, 330m or 240 m
or ATI Mobility Radeon 5730,5650, 4670 or 4650 etc..
Screen Size : 15" or lower (14" being the sweet spot. 16" also ok)
Weight: 8 lbs or lower; 6.5 lbs preferable

Budget :US 1000 $ or lower.(1.1k max )

One of the laptops I am looking at is the Dell Studio XPS 16. Have read that the RGB LED display is probably one of the best laptop displays in the market?
The basic one with 1 GB 4670 Card is what I am looking for. I know that cost is considerably higher, but isn't is possible to get some good deals (like using coupons, you can get even upto 500$ off, which may bring it within my budget)..

Other laptop options are Asus N61jq-X1 or A1
with USB 3.0, Core i7- 720 1.6 ghz, Radeon 5730, 320 or 500 gb 7200 rpm

Another would be ASUS X83VP-A1 or ASUS N81Vp-X1 etc. (4650 Radeon, 14" screen).

PLEASE HELP !! Which are some of the good online sites to shop other than amazon and newegg where you can get some really good deals?

Also, suggestion regarding which brand to buy and models to look for would be really helpful..

Thanks in advance,everyone..

Last edited:
OP
H

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@Jaskanwar Singh,
I have to change locations, so desktop would be a burden. I can carry it anywhere( 3-3.2 kg is not much for me ; quite light weight).
I need the portability of a laptop. So, desktops are out.

Others,
Please help me in choosing the right brand. I have heard that HP laptops purchased from abroad have lots of problems and may face problems getting proper service. Is it true?

PraKs

Youngling
Go with Dell in US.

Come to India, change the warranty to Indian address. Thats it.

You are good to go with indian home service.

tus123

Broken In
Dude I have bought 5 laptops from us....so if u want the best bang for ur buck buy from eBay. Luk for good deals, don hesitate to buy refurbished product if gateway or Asus those r great.... I suggest atleast a 9800 m gt for gaming.... There is this lappy from asus don remember model got 260 m gt..... Thts great for gaming tht refurb wud be about 700 to 800 $.....call me if u need any info..... I was a lot into laptop gaming..... Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 AM ----------

Never buy hp..... Tht **** overheats like hell

OP
H

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@PraKs,
Yes, that is why I was considering Dell, as I've heard no problems switching warranty to India. Thanks for the suggestion.

@tus123,
Thanks a ton for replying.
So you bought from eBay when u/ur friend was in US right? (Else shipping charges and custom duty would make it v.expensive right?)

I have never shopped in eBay. Can you please tell me how you make sure that the laptop you buy has international warranty and is reliable?(Do all refurbished ones come with all the accessories etc. intact?. Plus with warranty cover?) [/B]Also, Gateway isn't available in India, so there won't be any warranty in India right? (Else, they have some great laptops).

Some of the asus laptops(Asus G51) with similar config as you told:
*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220639R

*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220700

Definitely Asus G51 would be a steal at 700-800$, if it comes with warranty cover and everything intact..(I couldn't find any warranty details in the open box lap, so was wondering whether it came with warranty)

Update: I checked E-bay for Asus laptops. Truly awesome configs for 800$!! but,it seems the refurbished parts comes with 90-days direct to end-user warranty only in US :(

tus123

Broken In
i was in us myself i had a dell vostro, an asus g51, a gateway 6860fx, now asus w90vp-x2, bought g51 for frnd also.....

well frankly speakin refurbs come with 90 day warranty only, but go for it y i'm suggestin asus or gateway is cuz their quality is great, if nothin is wrong on arrival then don wrry bout it i have had these laptops for over 1-2 yrs n probs so far, my w90 is brand new though........but i'm jus tellin u value for money stuff

my personal recommendations are

*cgi.ebay.com/Asus-G51VX-RX05-15-6-...tops_Nov05?hash=item53e03974e4#ht_1174wt_1161

*cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-G71GX-RX05-500GB...tops_Nov05?hash=item335aebcbfa#ht_2372wt_1161

get one of these and u'll be a happy man.......i bought g51 v5 or x5 sumthin lik tht for a frnd a yr bac not a single complaint so far, gateway 6860fx 2 yrs no complaints, dell sold it in 6 months so don know tht was brand new though.......check dealsofamerica.com and deals2buy.com everyday for great laptop deals u'll get coupon codes and all there but i suggest one of the asus lappys tht i mentioned above, u'll not regret.....just an honest advice......don ship to india though else u'll be screwed.....

regards
td

OP
H

Hrithan2020

In the zone
i was in us myself i had a dell vostro, an asus g51, a gateway 6860fx, now asus w90vp-x2, bought g51 for frnd also.....

well frankly speakin refurbs come with 90 day warranty only, but go for it y i'm suggestin asus or gateway is cuz their quality is great, if nothin is wrong on arrival then don wrry bout it i have had these laptops for over 1-2 yrs n probs so far, my w90 is brand new though........but i'm jus tellin u value for money stuff

my personal recommendations are

*cgi.ebay.com/Asus-G51VX-RX05-15-6-...tops_Nov05?hash=item53e03974e4#ht_1174wt_1161

*cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-G71GX-RX05-500GB...tops_Nov05?hash=item335aebcbfa#ht_2372wt_1161

get one of these and u'll be a happy man.......i bought g51 v5 or x5 sumthin lik tht for a frnd a yr bac not a single complaint so far, gateway 6860fx 2 yrs no complaints, dell sold it in 6 months so don know tht was brand new though.......check dealsofamerica.com and deals2buy.com everyday for great laptop deals u'll get coupon codes and all there but i suggest one of the asus lappys tht i mentioned above, u'll not regret.....

regards
td

Thnks a lot mate for the suggestions. Will check out the 2 sites nd try 2 find a good deal for asus laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom