Buy S9 plus or wait for OP 6?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hello folks,

I wish to ditch my Nexus 6P now and get a new phone for myself asap, which one should I go for?

1. Budget? - no bar. Can extend upto 70k's for S9+
2. Display type and size? - OLED, biggest possible screen as I have big hands
3. Dual sim? - A must
4. Preferred choice of brand? - Samsung or One Plus
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? - Not a big fond of camera, atleast it isn't my first priority, but I would love to have max. functionalities.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc). - Android only.
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready). - 4G
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? - Multimedia, Internet and gaming.
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? - Samsung Galaxy S9+, S8+ (got cheaper now) or upcoming One Plus 6
10. Any other info that you want to share

I want to get a phone asap. I am very interested in S9+, but confused if I should wait for One Plus 6 to arrive. What I know is that One Plus 6 is going to be equal (or better due to minimalistic android skin) in performance. But the features and quality that Samsung gives is unmatchable (at least till now). However, would it still worth >20k price difference? I guess the One Plus 6 is going to cost somewhere 40k. What do you guys think?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
S9+ eyes closed. Camera, screen, speakers(they rock), headphones etc are unmatchable. Also you get vr support+9000 cashback.
Moreover op phones have a 6 month eol timeframe due to the T variant.

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
how can I get 9000 cashback?! is there any offer going on?
2 offers actually, pay via paytm and get 9k cashback. Kyc verification is needed for the same. Paytm people will open your bank account without your intimation though.
6k cashback if you pay via hdfc card.
You can also claim gst input tax credit and get benefit of the gst rate also.
Forgot to mention op6 is a Chinese clone of SHITpple x.

Seriously OP6 isn't meant to beat S9, it doesn't need to. OP6 might launch at 35-40k, acc. to rumors, but the notch is the biggest turn off for me. I will any day prefer metal back over the glass back but OP might drop that as well, only time will tell.

If you aren't into the camera, get S8 plus & save some money. There isn't much of a difference between S8+ & S9+ if camera upgrade isn't considered. The SoC of S8+ is still very powerful. Stereo speakers are good but not that useful at least for me as I consume media mostly via headphones (using speakers in public spaces is not a good thing & at home, I have my laptop which has much superior speakers than any phone). My previous phone had stereo speakers & I don't miss them even once in my S8. The fingerprint sensor location is bad in S8+ & Note 8 (but it was reachable in S8). If you are ok with a bit smaller screen, you can get S8 & save even more.

6GB RAM is still kind of too much for a phone, but 8GB is absolutely overkill, so don't get a phone for 8GB RAM.

Considering your usage, the paying extra 20k might not be worth it as you don't want a better camera. The camera of Samsung S7 is better than OP5T's camera, so Samsung phones have a really good camera. For stock android experience, you can get Pixel 2 XL too.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hi @anupam_pb @billubakra

Thank you for your suggestions! I went ahead and bought S9+ yesterday. The 9k paytm cashback was too sweet for me to ignore :)
Reasons to consider:

1. I also don't like the notch design, and its 99% confirmed that OnePlus 6 going to have it.
2. No Pixel device as they got rid of headphone jack (why google why?!)
3. No S8 or S9 as I wanted biggest possible screen (and my hands are big). I can single handedly use S9+ lol.
4. Could have gone for cheaper S8+ but then I thought "what the heck, just go for the better one lol"

Thank you!

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Seriously OP6 isn't meant to beat S9, it doesn't need to. OP6 might launch at 35-40k, acc. to rumors, but the notch is the biggest turn off for me. I will any day prefer metal back over the glass back but OP might drop that as well, only time will tell.

If you aren't into the camera, get S8 plus & save some money. There isn't much of a difference between S8+ & S9+ if camera upgrade isn't considered. The SoC of S8+ is still very powerful. Stereo speakers are good but not that useful at least for me as I consume media mostly via headphones (using speakers in public spaces is not a good thing & at home, I have my laptop which has much superior speakers than any phone). My previous phone had stereo speakers & I don't miss them even once in my S8. The fingerprint sensor location is bad in S8+ & Note 8 (but it was reachable in S8). If you are ok with a bit smaller screen, you can get S8 & save even more.

6GB RAM is still kind of too much for a phone, but 8GB is absolutely overkill, so don't get a phone for 8GB RAM.

Considering your usage, the paying extra 20k might not be worth it as you don't want a better camera. The camera of Samsung S7 is better than OP5T's camera, so Samsung phones have a really good camera. For stock android experience, you can get Pixel 2 XL too.
Notch and glass back is 100% confirmed.

Thank you for your suggestions! I went ahead and bought S9+ yesterday. The 9k paytm cashback was too sweet for me to ignore :)
Reasons to consider:

1. I also don't like the notch design, and its 99% confirmed that OnePlus 6 going to have it.
3. No S8 or S9 as I wanted biggest possible screen (and my hands are big). I can single handedly use S9+ lol.
4. Could have gone for cheaper S8+ but then I thought "what the heck, just go for the better one lol"

Thank you!
Congrats bro. Party? How much did you pay for it and 64 gigs? Post some photos.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Both are stupid LoL. Get the Pixel 2 XL. Or wait for the new Pixel supposed to be released for emerging markets or whatever.

Both are stupid LoL. Get the Pixel 2 XL. Or wait for the new Pixel supposed to be released for emerging markets or whatever.
OP got S9+ & Pixel 2 XL doesn't make much sense if the camera or stock android isn't the first priority. Its screen is inferior to S8's display (only if you compare side by side though, I did compare my S8 to a friend's Pixel 2 XL). Lack of headphone jack is another big turn off, which I forgot about earlier during my post.

Reasons to consider:

Thank you!

Congrats

I forgot about lack of headphone jack in Pixel. I find my S8 a bit bigger than I would like but sadly there aren't any good phones for people who want compact phones. Good for you that you have big hands.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
OP got S9+ & Pixel 2 XL doesn't make much sense if the camera or stock android isn't the first priority. Its screen is inferior to S8's display (only if you compare side by side though, I did compare my S8 to a friend's Pixel 2 XL). Lack of headphone jack is another big turn off, which I forgot about earlier during my post.
Software experience and camera are like the most two important parts of a mobile phone I believe. Display is the only advantage S9 has over P2XL. But whatever floats OP's boat.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Software experience and camera are like the most two important parts of a mobile phone I believe. Display is the only advantage S9 has over P2XL. But whatever floats OP's boat.

To be honest, I've used stock android from past 4-5 years (Nexus 5 and then Nexus 6P) without using any custom ROM's and I loved the experience, but I must say that I am loving Samsung's skin (touchwiz is it?) even more!
Samsung has given options in all those areas where I've always thought of having some while using the stock android. It can easily be felt that Samsung R&D has done a superb job on making the experience even better. and who doesn't like options? ;)
One more good thing they have recently done is, their samsung apps are no more forced and are given as options which is great!
Few things which I admired in past couple of days usage:
1. Game Launcher: intelligently detects installed games and combine them into one app, so your app drawer doesn't look cluttered.
2. Secure Folder: In-built password protected area wherein you can store any app, file etc. and its very convenient to use.
3. Samsung Themes: In-built app for changing your look instantaneously (including app icon packs).
4. Performance modes: different performance modes which lets you make most out of your battery.
5. Samsung music: the most beautiful music app I've seen till now, specially because of edge lighting.

After using Touchwiz, I don't think I would be able to go back to stock android, but I hope that it doesn't make the experience laggy after fair amount of usage.

Also, it has everything i.e. 3.5mm jack, dual stereo speakers, water-dust resistance, micro-sd card or dual sim compatibility etc. a combination which cannot be seen in any other flagship phone these days.
Best part is its screen. 5 minute of usage and you can easily tell that no other player is even close to samsung's tech.
Camera: I know its not the best, but its certainly not bad. Infact its one of the best, and the pictures and videos on this screen certainly looks much better than pixels and apples.

A worth upgrade for me!

billubakra

Conversation Architect
To be honest, I've used stock android from past 4-5 years (Nexus 5 and then Nexus 6P) without using any custom ROM's and I loved the experience, but I must say that I am loving Samsung's skin (touchwiz is it?) even more!
Samsung has given options in all those areas where I've always thought of having some while using the stock android. It can easily be felt that Samsung R&D has done a superb job on making the experience even better. and who doesn't like options? ;)
One more good thing they have recently done is, their samsung apps are no more forced and are given as options which is great!
1. Game Launcher: intelligently detects installed games and combine them into one app, so your app drawer doesn't look cluttered.
2. Secure Folder: In-built password protected area wherein you can store any app, file etc. and its very convenient to use.
3. Samsung Themes: In-built app for changing your look instantaneously (including app icon packs).
4. Performance modes: different performance modes which lets you make most out of your battery.
5. Samsung music: the most beautiful music app I've seen till now, specially because of edge lighting.

After using Touchwiz, I don't think I would be able to go back to stock android, but I hope that it doesn't make the experience laggy after fair amount of usage.

Also, it has everything i.e. 3.5mm jack, dual stereo speakers, water-dust resistance, micro-sd card or dual sim compatibility etc. a combination which cannot be seen in any other flagship phone these days.
Best part is its screen. 5 minute of usage and you can easily tell that no other player is even close to samsung's tech.
Camera: I know its not the best, but its certainly not bad. Infact its one of the best, and the pictures and videos on this screen certainly looks much better than pixels and apples.

A worth upgrade for me!

Touchwiz is now called Samsung Experience. Do post some photos.

A worth upgrade for me!

After using Nexus 4 for about a month, I understood that I can't use stock android due to lack of features. I installed a custom ROM within a month & was flashing ROMs every month or two due to instabilities. After that, I decided to not buy stock android phones because even now it lacks features provided by almost all skinned android. Since S6, the Touchwiz made a big jump in terms of responsiveness & I was surprised at how well it was working in some Samsung J phone 2 years back. From my experience, Samsung, LG, Huawei & Xiaomi have optimized their software well, Oppo, Vivo & other small companies have bad UI (still lags, etc).

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
After using Nexus 4 for about a month, I understood that I can't use stock android due to lack of features. I installed a custom ROM within a month & was flashing ROMs every month or two due to instabilities. After that, I decided to not buy stock android phones because even now it lacks features provided by almost all skinned android. Since S6, the Touchwiz made a big jump in terms of responsiveness & I was surprised at how well it was working in some Samsung J phone 2 years back. From my experience, Samsung, LG, Huawei & Xiaomi have optimized their software well, Oppo, Vivo & other small companies have bad UI (still lags, etc).

Exactly my point. Its just that in my case, I realized the lack of features little late. lol
As for the pics, I just happened to click only one with my old phone:

IMG 20180429 200828

@billubakra

Thank you!

Top Bottom