Buy New PC Components or Upgrade Existing?

abcxyz

Journeyman
Hi guys, please advice.
I am not able to decide weather to upgrade my current configuration or buy new things,
Current configuration,
  • Biostar TA785GE 128M mobo TA785GE 128M Ver. 6.0 AMD Socket motherboard gaming-Biostar
  • AMD Athlon™ II Processor
  • nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2
  • 2GB DDR2 RAM
  • Standard PSU, Monitor, Keyboard, mouse, cabinet

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: This will be used for Day-to-Day use & lightweight gaming under low settings.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
12k (max 20k)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 or Win 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Looking for 320GB or anything above 120GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No Monitor required. Current 1024*768

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, cabinet(+ stock psu) (check my current config at the beginning)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within 10days from this post

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Oh yeah I have built desktops

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad....willing to buy online or local

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Can I get an entry level GPU in this budget?

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I am not able to decide weather to upgrade my current configuration or buy new things,
With the given budget, buying new components is not possible. Upgrading would still be hard because of availability issues of compatible parts.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Can I get an entry level GPU in this budget?
Good entry level GPUs alone cost 5-6k.

OP
A

abcxyz

Journeyman
With the given budget, buying new components is not possible. Upgrading would still be hard because of availability issues of compatible parts.

Good entry level GPUs alone cost 5-6k.

Hi Goku, long time buddy. How are you?
Well, what if I can extend the budget up to 20k?

I am looking for mobo, processor, gpu, ram.
If the Mobo has any good integrated graphics, then no need of GPU IMO.

After getting the Gigabyte 1070GPU laptop 2years back, I never looked into PC Components :p and I haven't used this desktop. Now my brother wants to buy a laptop with a mere 20k budget. I said no to laptop & want to use that money to upgrade/ build a new PC.

I understand it is hard to get old compatible parts, but I can try locally in Hyderabad CTC complex, some shops should be having them :D

Of the things you mentioned, what're all the components you want to upgrade?
I open for anything Flash, if you say upgrade all I will or if I can salvage any existing components its great.
Maybe I can get a decent processor & a decent GPU for Biostar mobo. I am searching for online stores as we speak.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ryzen 3 2200G + Asus PRIME A320M-K + Corsair DDR4 4GB + Antec BP350PS Pro + Kingston 120GB SSD
or
i3 8100 + Asus PRIME H310M-E + Corsair DDR4 4GB + Antec BP350PS Pro + Kingston 120GB SSD

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hi Goku, long time buddy. How are you?
Well, what if I can extend the budget up to 20k?

I am looking for mobo, processor, gpu, ram.
If the Mobo has any good integrated graphics, then no need of GPU IMO.
I'm good. How have you been?
4GB DDR4 ram would cost around 3.5k
Good iGPU for gaming would be in AMD 2200G (8k) and 2400G (12.5k). Intel has no good entry level CPU if you won't be getting a dGPU.
Good AM4 mobo would be at least 6k.
Also, if your current PSU is too old, you'd need to get it checked and replace it with a new one if needed. Not sure about the cabinet though. Does it have proper airflow and front IO ports?

OP
A

abcxyz

Journeyman
I'm good. How have you been?
4GB DDR4 ram would cost around 3.5k
Good iGPU for gaming would be in AMD 2200G (8k) and 2400G (12.5k). Intel has no good entry level CPU if you won't be getting a dGPU.
Good AM4 mobo would be at least 6k.
Also, if your current PSU is too old, you'd need to get it checked and replace it with a new one if needed. Not sure about the cabinet though. Does it have proper airflow and front IO ports?

This looks good,
AMD 2200G (8k)
RAM 4k
AM4 mobo 6k
HDD 1.2k
Yeah, I have an old PSU which comes with cabinets, what kinda psu would you suggest for this config?
Cabinet has good airflow & IO ports.

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU-7,800
MSI B350M PRO-VDH-6,700
HYPERX FURY SERIES 4GB 2400MHZ DDR4 MEMORY HX424C15FB/4-3,400
Antec BP450S-2200
SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST1000DM010 1TB HDD-2,900

OP
A

abcxyz

Journeyman
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU-7,800
MSI B350M PRO-VDH-6,700
HYPERX FURY SERIES 4GB 2400MHZ DDR4 MEMORY HX424C15FB/4-3,400
Antec BP450S-2200
SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST1000DM010 1TB HDD-2,900

Thanks for the config,
Is PSU Antec BP450S-2200 compulsory in the above config. Can I use a regular cabinet PSU.

Top Bottom