Building a low form factor PC for gaming?

angie

At last the devil is here
Budget : 80k (can stretch) (monitor, keyboard, mouse, hdd/sdd not included)

Ideally I would like to go for Nvidia 1060 GTX line of card. People point out that it is enough for 1080p res. Anything higher would also unaffordable?

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming. Like ROTR, Witcher 3 etc all new games at 1080p 60fps (if possible at highest settings)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 80k (without hdd, monitor, mouse, keyboard)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I will probably use a 256GB ssd and 2 tb hdd.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. Have a dell 1080p monitor, will go with that for now. Can buy a new one later. Please disregard the monitor issue (like gsync vs freesync) for now.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None, except hdd, keyboard, mouse and monitor can be disregarded.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: There is no immediate hurry.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: hyderabad. CTC market here is generally cheaper than online. Have built a desktop before, see signature for configuration.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: LOW FORM FACTOR. This is the biggest requirement.
I would like it to be future proof (as long as possible but on 1080p. If I ever move to higher resolutions, will re-start from scratch) So can stretch budget a little. For example people recommend going for gtx 1060 6gb instead of 3GB.
Or is it not possible to build a small form-factor box?
Also is there any downside of building a small form-factor box?'

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -80.6K

Intel Core i7 8700K -28600,
Gigabyte GA-Z370M-D3H -11300,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB(4GBx2) 3000Mhz -7000,
Seasonic M12II 620w -6500,
JONSBO Mini Tower v4 -4700,
Zotac GTX1060 6GB AMP -22500.
TOTAL -80,600.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
If small form factor is really important, consider the newly launched Kaby Lake G series which has Intel core i5/i7 processor, RX Vega GPU, and 4 GB HBM2 in one package. The new core i7 NUC will be available for 799$ (other co.s like Gigabyte will likely launch the cheaper i5 variant). Add 8 GB RAM and a hard disk, and you're good to go.

Small form factor PCs are generally more expensive and perform worse because of thermal bottlenecking. If you can find a GTX 1060 that fits in a mini ITX case, that'll be way better than the Kaby Lake G NUC, but the NUC is pretty much your only option if you need a really small PC. So, when you say small form factor, what size is acceptable? mATX, mini ITX, or NUC?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there is no immediate hurry then better wait for a few weeks for things to settle down after Meltdown & Spectre mess especially when considering an intel system.
Meltdown and Spectre: ‘worst ever’ CPU bugs affect virtually all computers

OP
angie

angie

If small form factor is really important, consider the newly launched Kaby Lake G series which has Intel core i5/i7 processor, RX Vega GPU, and 4 GB HBM2 in one package. The new core i7 NUC will be available for 799$ (other co.s like Gigabyte will likely launch the cheaper i5 variant). Add 8 GB RAM and a hard disk, and you're good to go.

Small form factor PCs are generally more expensive and perform worse because of thermal bottlenecking. If you can find a GTX 1060 that fits in a mini ITX case, that'll be way better than the Kaby Lake G NUC, but the NUC is pretty much your only option if you need a really small PC. So, when you say small form factor, what size is acceptable? mATX, mini ITX, or NUC?

didn't know there was a terminology for small form factor PCs! :p

I guess I would like to build a mini-ITX.

The NUCs are beautiful but I would rather stick with the Nvidia 1060. However, I saw that the just launched Kaby lake NUC outperforms Nvidia 1060 gtx low powered version. So I guess I should wait for the price and availability.

OP
angie

angie

Budget -80.6K

Intel Core i7 8700K -28600,
Gigabyte GA-Z370M-D3H -11300,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB(4GBx2) 3000Mhz -7000,
Seasonic M12II 620w -6500,
JONSBO Mini Tower v4 -4700,
Zotac GTX1060 6GB AMP -22500.
TOTAL -80,600.

Thanks for the suggestion, I see you have the MSI gaming laptop. Do you play games regularly on that? Does it get hot at 1080 ultra ? what about noise?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks for the suggestion, I see you have the MSI gaming laptop. Do you play games regularly on that? Does it get hot at 1080 ultra ? what about noise?
I am not right now playing since it does not have an SSD. I plan on playing after I fit it with an SSD.

Top Bottom