Budget phone for Senior Citizen

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Received the package. Delivery went smooth. All the seals were intact, delivery boy opened the package and took few snaps and asked me to check the contents and everything. After me checking everything he asked for OTP. Overall the delivery went fine.
Right out of the box, it had 50% battery life. So I finished the initial set up right away.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Received the package. Delivery went smooth. All the seals were intact, delivery boy opened the package and took few snaps and asked me to check the contents and everything. After me checking everything he asked for OTP. Overall the delivery went fine.
Right out of the box, it had 50% battery life. So I finished the initial set up right away.
I always check device, take some photos, videos, screenshots, internet speed, Play games if pre-installed, check settings, new features, then each family members try hands on new device same day after delivery.
After that I factory reset device before setting up.

Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It showed update MIUI 13.0.5 about 440MB (update notes said, security update and bug fixes and optimisation), I charged the battery to ~90% and updated. Right after that another update MIUI 13.0.2 about 2.8GB (notes said Android 12 and August security update). Version number suggested downgrade. I updated, it took some time to complete.

Uninstalled about a dozen apps which I felt won't be needed and about a handful of apps we don't need but couldn't uninstall. They are moved to hidden apps. Including hidden there are 34 apps now out of which 10 are uninstallable but I am keeping them as they could be useful sometime if not every day.
Mostly things are familiar and some new features (vs Redmi 4)
There is no screen on time tracker since last charge, but there is for daily SOT. And there is also time on battery since last charge (90%+)
Turned on some suggested battery optimization, and ignored few like 60hz refresh, lock screen after 15 sec and dark mode.
Didn't add google account, so Chrome is not updating as it needs Google play store logged in. It has to wait until the phone gets to my Mom's hands.
Leaving the colour scheme to default as it looks better than saturated and standard.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I didn't have any high expectation of pre applied screen protector but I didn't expect them to get fingernail scratch this easy. Don't mistake I didn't do it deliberately, just a normal use made them. Even though the scratches are so mild, it's apparent when the screen has lot of light colour or white in and around the scratched area. If it's dark or black it won't be visible unless seeing the scratches at an angel.

Anyway local mobile shop has 100-150/- tempered glass. But they either don't have holes for the camera and/or edge to edge coverage would make the transparent case non usable. Personally I am not a fan of tempered glass or case/skin. I would prefer to use as it is. Since this is not my choice, I am gonna let my mom decide about this.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Initial impression:
Sounds are decent enough, anyway I will compare this and Redmi 4 soon.
Stretching the youtube video to full screen sometimes not working.
Always on display isn't working as the name suggests. I guess you guys know about that as MIUI optimization prevents it.
There is no screen on time tracker since last charge, but there is for daily SOT. And there is also time on battery since last charge.
Since I have used my mom's Redmi 4, so the MIUI is pretty familiar.

20% to 95% charge took about 45min, 100% took about 1hr.
34c before charging, highest I noticed 43c while charging (around 70%)

67.5hrs time on battery. i.e., 95% to 20%
7hrs screen on time. No gaming.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I didn't have any high expectation of pre applied screen protector but I didn't expect them to get fingernail scratch this easy. Don't mistake I didn't do it deliberately, just a normal use made them. Even though the scratches are so mild, it's apparent when the screen has lot of light colour or white in and around the scratched area. If it's dark or black it won't be visible unless seeing the scratches at an angel.

Anyway local mobile shop has 100-150/- tempered glass. But they either don't have holes for the camera and/or edge to edge coverage would make the transparent case non usable. Personally I am not a fan of tempered glass or case/skin. I would prefer to use as it is. Since this is not my choice, I am gonna let my mom decide about this.

No.
Local temper glass also have notch, holes and available for cheap price from ₹40 to ₹70, not from the store, roadside sellers.

Use temper glass and cover

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't know if I can find one for 40-70/-. I asked couple of my friends, it's likely be in the range of 100-200/-

Will see..

faxedasto

Right off the assembly line
I just bought poco m4 pro 4g yesterday and the speakers are not loud enough. I upgraded from vivo y91i, the loudness is almost the same, clarity is better.

mobdro 2022

Last edited:
Top Bottom