Budget-ish Laptop for Content Creation (After Effects/Premiere Pro)

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
60-80K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Preferably lightweight, but really doesn't matter

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Content Creation (AE, PS, some minor 3D rendering), Video editing, light Gaming if anything

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Preferably Ryzen, for cost and performance reasons

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell
b. Dislike: Acer

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution: FHD with 60 or higher refresh rate
  • Battery back up: More than 3-4 hours
  • Purchase place: doesn't matter

OP
B

BrickInTheWall

Broken In
So far zeroed in on:

HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/1TB HDD + 256GB SSD/Windows 10/144Hz/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1052AX

HP Omen Ryzen 5 Hexa Core - (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 Ti) 15-en0001AX Gaming Laptop (15.6 inch, Mica Silver, 2.37 kg)

Not keen on TUF owing to the thermal issues

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
60-80K

Content Creation (AE, PS, some minor 3D rendering), Video editing, light Gaming if anything

I think these may be a pretty good bet -:

ASUS TUF --> con - no harddrive can get pretty toasty

Lenovo Legion --> con - a mediocre processor, 8gb less RAM than TUF

HP pavilion --> this is the one I personally purchased, and will happily link link you to my review of it, but right now it is a terrible value as it's price has been increased by 4k.

OP
B

BrickInTheWall

Broken In
I think these may be a pretty good bet -:

ASUS TUF --> con - no harddrive can get pretty toasty

Lenovo Legion --> con - a mediocre processor, 8gb less RAM than TUF

HP pavilion --> this is the one I personally purchased, and will happily link link you to my review of it, but right now it is a terrible value as it's price has been increased by 4k.

I really am not interested in TUF thanks to the poor thermals, I really don't want to take that risk tbh. ASUS really botched it up there. Otherwise for sure would have considered this.

Lenovo, I don't really need i5, got a Dell with i5 and it really isn;t the best at handling my stuff. So hoping that Ryzen 5 with a better GPU might solve it for me.

As for Pavillion, any reason why you'd prefer this over Omen? 144Hz display aside

dissel

Cyborg Agent
For Ae and Pr my vote goes to HP OMEN as of now...Also remember there 4800H version of the OMEN released in India @ 86K.
Wish If there Demo available Adobe Ae and Pr on that machine, In theory that must be an Amazing Experience to crush Adobe Ae.

OP
B

BrickInTheWall

Broken In
For Ae and Pr my vote goes to HP OMEN as of now...Also remember there 4800H version of the OMEN released in India @ 86K.
Wish If there Demo available Adobe Ae and Pr on that machine, In theory that must be an Amazing Experience to crush Adobe Ae.
That's out of stock tho *sigh*

And outside my budget - actually. Anyhoo, any reason for preferring Omen over say, Pavillion?

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
You mentioned content creation in usages.
None of the laptops in the ones discussed have a good enough color gamut. So, do plan to use an external monitor if you're getting any of these.

P.S. I bought the omen base variant. Have posted some of the things I felt worth mentioning in the post
Entry level workstation laptop (No gaming) in max 75k .

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

OP
B

BrickInTheWall

Broken In
You mentioned content creation in usages.
None of the laptops in the ones discussed have a good enough color gamut. So, do plan to use an external monitor if you're getting any of these.

P.S. I bought the omen base variant. Have posted some of the things I felt worth mentioning in the post
Entry level workstation laptop (No gaming) in max 75k .

Yeah I get the color gamut part, thaet's fine by me, I can use an external Monitor when I'm using it for actual work. I can't afford anything with a good gamut + has decent support + build quality + thermals anyway, some trade off for the other is gonna be there since I don't have the dough :p

How's the portability? Also, over time, how do you find it, since youve used it now for a few weeks? Any other issues?

123hero

In the zone
60-80K

ASUS TUF - Buy ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD 144Hz Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB Graphics (8GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-AL047T Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
Buy this model before price increases or goes out of stock. Currently at 61K. Thermals are reasonable.

Second Best bet : HP Pavilion ec-1024AX /1021 AX on a similar pricing. Better thermals than ASUS TUF but sadly no SSD - you can purchase one and add.

Dont buy any i5 or Ryzen 3500 / 3550H laptops at anything above 52-53K since its just not value for money.

PS : All laptops in the 60-75K budget have average displays and not suited for colour correction / colour grading during editing / processing videos. You need to buy a decent external monitor if you intend to do so.

Battery life on performance laptops are going to be on the lower side. You may not get more than 3-3.5 hours time on most of the laptops, 1-1.5 hours is max what you may get with heavy usage.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
How's the portability? Also, over time, how do you find it, since youve used it now for a few weeks? Any other issues?

I've been stuck at home right now, so no experience about portability. But handling the laptop has to be with a little bit of extra caution. (Like don't pickup from the hinge side when closed. Pick with two hands, etc. ) That might just be me.

When using an external HDD (WD MyPassport), the USB seems to be disconnecting after some time. This seems to be the drivers. I've been busy and didn't try resetting yet.

OP
B

BrickInTheWall

Broken In
Bump.

HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1024AX

has reduced in price to 59K on Amazon. Worth it? Are there any new options worth checking out? Tuf seems out of stock + expensie rn.

123hero

In the zone
Bump.

HP Pavilion Gaming 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Ryzen 5-4600H/8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB/Shadow Black), 15-ec1024AX

has reduced in price to 59K on Amazon. Worth it? Are there any new options worth checking out? Tuf seems out of stock + expensie rn.

OK to buy at 59K provided you can buy and install the SSD, since this model does not come with an SSD. New SSD will cost you around 6-7K additional.

Only buy from trusted vendors like Cloud Tail or Appario.

OP
B

BrickInTheWall

Broken In
^Yeah did an oopsie there, sorry :)

BTW what about Omen? Or better, Legion 5? I really am not gonna get TUF with crap thermals + display. The thing they did with the vents really put me off.

Also, I can just see one option for Legion 5 and it's on Lenovo. Still looks alright though.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
^Yeah did an oopsie there, sorry :)

BTW what about Omen? Or better, Legion 5? I really am not gonna get TUF with crap thermals + display. The thing they did with the vents really put me off.

Also, I can just see one option for Legion 5 and it's on Lenovo. Still looks alright though.

Legoin 5 avaialble in India ? Yes, So far that was the best one but I didn’t see it avaialble in India - Amazon IN listed it though but not available.

Anyhow, Omen is the best thing for Indian buyers so far and it is the most recomended one.
Flipkart now listed the RTX 2060 model too with 124k price tag but looks like seller is not the mainstream one...though RTX 2060 varient got some graphics issue.

*www.flipkart.com/hp-omen-15-ryzen-...n=homepage&ssid=dlegqvx1cqyd1zpc1608015551953

OP
B

BrickInTheWall

Broken In
I really don't have that much budget tbh.

BTW found Legion here: Lenovo Legion 5 15 | 39.62cms (15.6) AMD powered gaming laptop | Lenovo India

Top Bottom