Budget HTPC for 40000

mssquare

Broken In
Hi, I've decided to build a htpc for myself this summer. I'm sure about the budget, but it can go to 43k. Blu ray drive is a must and I would be buying a projector separately later. I have a windows 8.1 licence with me and a graphic card like 750ti would be great. 5.1 sound or optical audio out is a must. Keyboard and mouse is not needed.
I live in chennai and the components would be bought at Ritchie St.
I would watch movies and play games like assassins creed series, simulators and nfs series.
I have a few questions-
1. Would a g3258 or a6 6400 k justify this build?
2. Is 750ti sufficient for 1080p gaming at med settings?
3. Would a m-atx board and case be of better value than itx config?
4. Can this blow away a ps4 or Xbox one in terms of streaming and media capabilities, apart from gaming?

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
*www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

fill this up

OP
M

mssquare

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:I want a htpc for blu ray movies, games like assassins creed, simulators and NFS series and streaming content from android phone to PC.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:43k max

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Yes, if a suitable processor is found

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:windows 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1tb or 500gb HDD + 120gb ssd

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No, I'll connect it to my TV before I buy a projector

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I won't need keyboard, mouse and the os

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:summer 2015

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:I'll assemble and overclock it, if possible, myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Chennai, the components will be bought from ritchie St.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:I personally prefer m atx builds as size is not a constraint. 5.1 sound or optical audio out is a must. Since this is not my money, but my dad's, I prefer to be extra cautious when burning 40k

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Summer is 3-4 months away. :|
5th gen processors may launch by that time, prices may change/fall which may lead to a change in the suggested config.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
There is always going to be something new coming out. Don't wait just buy the best that's available right now at your price point.

By the way skylake would be coming after broadwell and have a new socket with new features and improvement. Wait for that otherwise go for haswell refresh now as broadwell have nothing much to offer above haswell except slightly better thermal temp and slightly lower watts.

OP
M

mssquare

Broken In
Wow, that's great! I'll wait till then. But can u guys suggest a motherboard that suits my needs and a nice cabinet for it? Thanks in advance.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Wow, that's great! I'll wait till then. But can u guys suggest a motherboard that suits my needs and a nice cabinet for it? Thanks in advance.

mobo selection depends on the choice of cpu. if you are waiting, no point in getting mobo alone now.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
^ maybe GTX 950 will also launch by then and it would be better than GTX 750 Ti which @op's aiming for.

isnt 750Ti is the same architecture as 9xx series? so why would they release 950 to replace 750? 950 will prolly be around 15k i guess. (750 is 9k and 750Ti is 11k)
no sense in getting mobo now. get deepcool tesseract as cabby if you want.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
isnt 750Ti is the same architecture as 9xx series? so why would they release 950 to replace 750? 950 will prolly be around 15k i guess. (750 is 9k and 750Ti is 11k)

no sense in getting mobo now. get deepcool tesseract as cabby if you want.

Better performance with lower power consumption

GeForce GTX 980 vs 780

Intrapolating will give similar results with GTX 950 and GTX 750

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
well i know , you asked for a PC , but have you thought about the idea of getting a PS4?
it should fit for you

OP
M

mssquare

Broken In
That's great, but I'll wait till 950 comes. I guess that'd perform better than the 660. I have another question, shall I buy a high end motherboard or a a mid range mobo and a good sound card? Sound is very important for me as my dad expects really good sound for that investment.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
As far as sound card is concerned. You just need to make sure that you get above or atleast a built in realtek 887 or 892 chip. Nowadays, these motherboards have awesome integrated sound. Until or unless you have a high end sound system or headphone(going into thousands of bucks). You won't even know the difference.

You don't sound like a audiophile to me though. In which case you don't actually need a separate sound card.
From what I can make out, you are basically looking for 2in 1 system that could work as htpc and have the power to do the gaming as well.
I would personally suggest that you only go for gtx750 ti over gtx 660. Reason for that being, gtx750ti is based on the latest nvidia architecture. Don't get confused by the name. It is actually pretty much gtx 950 under the skin.

Secondly, it's the only card that don't need a extra 6pin connector and runs only on pcie slot means 75watts max while having the most awesome performace. Gtx 660 is just 10-15% more powerful while taking twice the power needed to run a gtx750.

A htpc should/must have a lower watt consumption as it is supposed to run 24*7 if need arises. Both your objectives can be handled by a gtx 750ti. Even 1080p gaming at medium to max settings.

Rest is up to you. If you have to get a more powerful card than 750ti. Then I would suggest a Amd r9 270. That would cost almost same as gtx 660 and is much more powerful than 660 for 1080p gaming.

OP
M

mssquare

Broken In
I wouldn't need audio through HDMI as I'll connect to a projector, and I'll connect through optical audio out to my Phillips hts5530 home theatre. I'd buy a 5.1 surr speakers later.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Current gen mobos are equiped with pretty decent audio chip , plus if movies are the target all these GPUs passthrough full HD Audio (DTS MA and DD THD) over HDMI
That I agree.
Anyway Entry level add-in card like Asus xonar dg is a much better option than onboard audio with alc 887 or892.

Top Bottom