Brainstorming: Ideas for a regularly scheduled threads.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have been thinking of creating certain threads at regular intervals to consolidate information about certain products from time to time.

For example, every quarter we could have a thread each for best PC builds, phones, peripherals, etc. for certain budget ranges. I haven't decided on the format yet but we could do something like one week before the upcoming thread, everyone could submit their entries and people can vote on the best configs, the best configs get published in these "best of" threads.

This is just a simple idea for now. Looking for further comments and suggestions for topics to cover.

Edit: Discussed ideas listed below:
  • PC build of the month.
  • App of the month.
  • FOSS software of the month.
  • Phone of the month

Last edited:

K_akash_i

Journeyman
I support the best config of the week (maybe someone can come with random budget/certain no of parts) , it will overall keep everyone updated about current hardware.
Peripheral hunting could ease people as well.

We could also have foss/oss softwares which are up and coming and could substitute the established ones (sort of like an introduction).Like general use software. For eg: notesenook an up and coming project thats tryin to compete with evernote and joplin.We could keep the foss software tier updated and can be used to copy paste whenever people are trying to switch to alternate os'es.Though i doubt if most people are interested in this.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
i also would like to suggest rolling out these threads one by one adding each one after previous one is getting some sort of traction.
Would be great to have forum culture rising. Everything is becoming reddit dependent nowadays.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I support the best config of the week (maybe someone can come with random budget/certain no of parts) , it will overall keep everyone updated about current hardware.
Yes. Though since hardware releases aren't so frequent, perhaps we should do these monthly or quarterly. "Build of the month" or something like that.

Categories could be on two axis:

Budget: upto 25k, upto 50k, upto 75k, upto 100k, 100k and above, etc.
Config: Onboard GPU only, Discrete GPU Intel, Discrete GPU Nvidia, Discrete GPU AMD, etc.

Everybody can suggest builds to any of these categories and perhaps we could put them to a vote. The builds get featured in descending order of votes or perhaps budget if there are not enough votes.

We could do something similar for peripherals, laptops, phones, etc. Need metrics for these though.

Peripheral hunting could ease people as well.

We could also have foss/oss softwares which are up and coming and could substitute the established ones (sort of like an introduction).Like general use software. For eg: notesenook an up and coming project thats tryin to compete with evernote and joplin.We could keep the foss software tier updated and can be used to copy paste whenever people are trying to switch to alternate os'es.Though i doubt if most people are interested in this.
Sure, we could probably do that as well. Perhaps "FOSS Software of the month"? We could take nominations the previous month and then put them to a vote. We could do something similar for apps. I'd like it if people tried out the apps being nominated and give their opinions so that we can add some additional context to the nominations.

i also would like to suggest rolling out these threads one by one adding each one after previous one is getting some sort of traction.
We could have multiple nomination threads running and the feature thread could be at given times.

IMO monthly might be decent for PC builds, phones & laptops. Voting is good, if we get enough votes.

Digit website has their top 10, but seems to have out of date or outright bad choices:
www.digit.in/top-products/top-10-android-smartphones-under-rs-15-000-18.html
Like was it even updated on 18 Jan 2024? It still has Moto G62 on it & not G54 for instance.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
All rounder, camera & gaming can be 3 segments, but maybe just stick to all rounder. Tough to get info on say what is a good camera phone under 20k.
I think we should think in two axes: Price segments and utility segments. What you have suggested could be utility segments and we can compare against price segments.

So, for example, having price segments such 10k and below, 15k and below, 25k and below, 50k and below, etc. we could have a combination of 12 categories.

I think we should think in two axes: Price segments and utility segments. What you have suggested could be utility segments and we can compare against price segments.

So, for example, having price segments such 10k and below, 15k and below, 25k and below, 50k and below, etc. we could have a combination of 12 categories.
Yes, 3 segments per price category is what I wanted to convey but judging best camera phone under 20k or 15k is tough as most of us just read/watch reviews & there aren't many great reviews for cheaper phones. Like easy to crown Pixel 6a as best camera under 25k, but under 20k, IMO the competition is close.

For laptops, gaming & office/multimedia can be the categories across multiple price segments, like under 40k, 55k, 75k, 110k, etc.

For desktops, can suggest rigs with monitors with categories like office/multimedia usage, gaming & productivity. But here 50k will have just office/multimedia category and only the other 2 from higher budgets like 75k, 100k, 125k, 150k, etc. IMO no need to touch the super high end prices above 200k here or in laptops.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
A different app could be nominated every month.

I was also thinking of having best paid app and best free app as categories.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think we should start with the smartphone of the month event. And based on how successful it is we can rollout more.

I'm thinking we open up a sticky thread in the Mobile Monsters sub-forum to take nominations, starting in Feb and ending a few days before the last day of the month. The format will be as follows:

Code:
Phone:
Price segment:
Utility segment:
Appreciation:

Everyone will be open to post nominations on the nomination thread and people can vote by leaving likes on the posts, the ones with the most likes will be featured as "Phone of the month". We will have to aggregate the number of nominations and votes to determine the one to feature. The appreciation must be effort-posts to be considered to be featured alongside the product.

Let me know what you guys think of this.

Include finance also like best bank of the month,best trading platform,best credit card etc.
That is a bit out of my area of expertise, perhaps you can own that part and come up with a proposal on how to do it.

Note that some of the topics discussed here might not get a lot of engagement.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Include finance also like best bank of the month,best trading platform,best credit card etc.
Best bank is very subjective, most of the times it depends on your local branch. Same bank can get very good as well as a very poor rating depending on where the reviewer is located. Trading platform is too niche for tech forums. Credit card too is quite subjective topic as there is no best credit card only what's best card for your usage pattern.

I was thinking whether to use Google Forms instead of the posts here? It might make it easier to aggregate the data. Let me know what you guys think.

It's also possible, though who would own it? @shreeux perhaps?
IMO whatever makes your job easier would be good but one thing to keep in mind is the visibility others get in forum poll. Maybe can have initial discussions in forum regarding the options with final voting for the monthly/quarterly list in Google form.

shreeux

Movie Buff
I was thinking whether to use Google Forms instead of the posts here? It might make it easier to aggregate the data. Let me know what you guys think.

It's also possible, though who would own it? @shreeux perhaps?

@ico

Follow my thread...Choose Rating above 6

Last Year...Watched Movies list...

Last Year Series...Wathced list...

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Cellphone of the month nomination thread has been created: *geek.digit.in/community/threads/nominations-cellphone-of-the-month-feb-2024.212449/

Let's see how this goes.

Top Bottom