Books reading & listening - Kindle or iPad?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hey guys!
I have been thinking to get a Kindle or iPad.
Main purpose : Book reading, novels/educational; mostly at house, rarely outside.
Would like to have :
  1. option to listen to audio books
  2. Transfer pdf/audio files from my own(you know) sources. Not all the books are cheap. Which of these device will allow me to transfer files from my PC without any problems whatsoever?
  3. 3.5mm jack
I am familiar with the obvious cost difference. But I don't know what other pros and cons of owning these devices. People who already have these can list pros and cons and suggest better.
As of now, not interested in any other tabs.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Simple if you want to read only books then get Kindle(ePub) but if you want to read PDF's get iPad.Mostly for study purposes iPad is recommended and for normal reading(like novels and stuff) Kindle is recommended.
Remind you Kindle is like a eReader not a tablet.It is very slow and sluggish in performance.
I guess for your case for audiobooks,3.5mm jack and pdf's i would recommend getting an iPad.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
You will need to use ipad as Kindle does not have android so even if it gets support for audible, you will not be able to listen other ones.

IPad has a nice 4:3 aspect ratio which is good for books. Also, in ipad, you will be able to read Mangas easily as it has color screen.

Ipad does support importing pdf from the secret sources.

You should get Kindle iff you will read text novels. For audiobook and other stuff prefer ipad

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you do fairly a bit of reading, get a kindle. Its not that expensive, the newer cheapest model even comes with backlighting. I feel every reader should have one, as it makes reading very accessible. The value it provides per cost is very high for me (its very subjective)

iPad is a bit of a luxury product. Its obviously the absolute best in tablet space and could provide a good value if your usecase fits it.
As you said u need audio books, pdfs and 3.5 mm jack, none of which is supported in kindle (kindle can do pdfs but its clunky), go for ipad

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, for pure reading go for Kindle. For audiobooks, I just use audible on my phone.

You can convert PDFs and other file formats to Kindle supported formats using tools like Calibre.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thanks for all the responses guys!

Now that I think, I can use my phone for audio books instead of using this new device. So this will be used only for reading novels and books.
If the Kindle performance is sluggish then I would rather avoid it.
I am hesitating for iPad because it costs a lot and the warranty is just for 1 year. I saw the Apple care option but that is also costly and they charge separately for service!
How does Apple care works? It says on the website that Apple care extends the warranty for 2 years from the date of purchase of Apple care. What if I buy Apple care at the end of 1st year which is warranty period? Or they sell Apple care only with Apple products, not separately?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Apple care can only be bought after 3 months of purchase.

Problem with apple warranty is, if it gets a thin scratch, then they have the right to reject warranty and they do so in 99.9% cases. So to prevent that, most of the people and even I am using a thicc case with a thicc tempered glass.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Yeah, for pure reading go for Kindle. For audiobooks, I just use audible on my phone.

You can convert PDFs and other file formats to Kindle supported formats using tools like Calibre.
Yeah we can convert pdf to epub but still it doesnt show up well in Kindle.
Kindle is strictly not for pictures and graphics sole purpose is text using epub books only.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah we can convert pdf to epub
Either convert to mobi or azw format. Epub is not supported very well.

If the Kindle performance is sluggish then I would rather avoid it.
You won't be watching videos on it so that won't be an issue. Unless you are looking to buy Kindle Fire but that is same as having a proper tab and you might as well get an iPad instead.

For reading just get kindle paperwhite, that is enough and performance is not really an issue.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
For reading just get kindle paperwhite, that is enough and performance is not really an issue.

The non paperwhite models now have backlight for cheap. You only need paperwhite if you want a higher res 300 ppi display, which most people dont care about.
Save that extra moolah buy some accessories

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I just found out that Paperwhite version costs 10.5K, not 13K as currently listed on Amazon.
The device will be used for both novels and books e.g. something related to Java.
How does the ppi affect reading experience?
And what accessories I need to have good reading experience?

I am so much tempted to buy iPad but the cost is a deal breaker for me right now. Keeping that in mind, Kindle, just for reading should be fine, since that is the need right now.

I don't find time to read manga anymore but if I started again, I want the screen to be colored because I love those occasional colored pages!!

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I regularly read using my kindle. You can adjust font size on it depending on your preference.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I just found out that Paperwhite version costs 10.5K, not 13K as currently listed on Amazon.
The device will be used for both novels and books e.g. something related to Java.
How does the ppi affect reading experience?
And what accessories I need to have good reading experience?

I am so much tempted to buy iPad but the cost is a deal breaker for me right now. Keeping that in mind, Kindle, just for reading should be fine, since that is the need right now.

I don't find time to read manga anymore but if I started again, I want the screen to be colored because I love those occasional colored pages!!
Save and go for iPad

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thanks a lot for all the responses guys! It really helped me in understanding the usage of each device.
Since It will take a bit of time to save for iPad and I need the Kindle something to read on, as soon as possible. I have decided to go for Kindle Paperwhite, whenever it comes to 10.5K.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Congrats. Kindle is good for reading. Also purchase a velvet like soft carry case.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Congrats. Kindle is good for reading. Also purchase a velvet like soft carry case.
Thanks man. Could you share the link so that I know what exactly to look for?
I see that they sell their own cases for 2500INR.

Top Bottom