Black screen in Ubuntu 19.10 on bootup

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
i am facing the black screen on boot issue all over again,this time in 18.04.

time to ditch ubuntu i guess-but is there any other alternative distro which has a decent ui and supports majority of the commonly used apps?

How's opensuse tumbleweed in terms of stability and user friendliness? I tried using POP OS but didn't like its UI (it doesn't feature the minimize button in its windows,which makes it rather frustrating to use).

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That's weird but ok.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is okay but the package manager is different but that's not a huge issue. PopOS is also good but I agree that the UI is a bit weird, however you can install a different desktop environment such as Cinnamon or MATE and use it normally. Another option is Manjaro which I currently use.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
there seems to be different flavours of manjaro viz xfce,kde-plasma and gnome,which one do you this would be the best?

does it incorporate any kind of sidebar like the one in ubuntu?

edit: downloaded the xfce version-it looks quite pleasant.Does it have a built in gui based package manager(aka "software and updates" in ubuntu) which can be used to download and install apps directly rather than installing via the command line?

Wanted to install Gedit as it doesn't seem included by default-using sudo apt install gedit command returned an error(i was just trying out the live desktop on an usb drive)-how can i install the software packages i require in manjaro?

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I use the KDE version, but technically you can install any desktop environment and switch between them on the login screen. So you can have multiple desktop environments as well if you want. The different version ISO are basically only for convenience.

Yes, Manjaro comes with a GUI package manager called pamac. So you technically never have to enter any commands for updates. It even gives you notifications for kernel updates.

Xfce comes with Mousepad as the default text editor. You can install gedit but I recommend that you use mousepad instead since it's much lighter.

Also, Manjaro does not use apt as the package manager. Like all Arch Linux based distros, it is based on pacman.

The command you need to enter is:

Code:
sudo pacman -S gedit

Alternatively, launch the package manager GUI application and search for the package you want to install.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thank you for all that info,its helpful indeed.

I just tried to install the xfce version by clicking the installer icon on the desktop-on the partition select screen,it gives an option to replace an existing parition with manjaro,or to manually change/modify partitions.

I selected the former ie replace an existing partition,then i attempted to choose the single ext4 partition(~15gb) consisting of my current ubuntu 18.04 installation-but it doesn't let me select that partition.There are 2 other ntfs partitions (one of them containing win 7) and they can be selected,but whenever i hover the mouse over the ext4 linux partition,it shoes a red cross sign next to the mouse pointer-any ideas as to why this is happening?

is it possible to replace ubuntu with manjaro using the default installer(just as ubuntu gives an option to erase an existing/older linux installation and install ubuntu)?Or is the process not quite as simple in case of manjaro?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
but it doesn't let me select that partition
Can you post a screenshot? Perhaps it is not allowing you to select because there is an existing OS there. If you format that partition first then perhaps it will allow.
is it possible to replace ubuntu with manjaro using the default installer
Yes, that's what I had done when replacing my previous Kubuntu installation with Manjaro.

Top Bottom