BIOS always display when booting.

aakash_singh

Broken In
Hello, BIOS is always displayed when i start the computer and i have to manually exit to boot to Windows 10.
The motherboard is MSI B350 Gaming Plus with Samsung 120GB SSD for Windows 10. How will i skip bios and normally boot to windows?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Try booting after disconnecting your keyboard and SSD (and any other other connected drives). Does it still enter the BIOS?
Before disconnecting keyboard, make sure that the BIOS setting something like 'Do not stop on keyboard error' or 'Halt on All errors But Keyboard' is enabled.

When you see BIOS, does it prompt you to load anything like FailSafe or Optimized defaults?
Did you every overclock your system in anyway?
Try FailSafe defaults as well.

Do post a photo of the BIOS screen that you see by default when you boot your PC.

Last edited:
OP
aakash_singh

aakash_singh

Broken In
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

1. After removing USB keyboard, USB mouse and SSD it still boots into BIOS.
2. SSD is connected but keyboard+mouse disconnected, now it boots directly to Windows.

Maybe using a PS/2 keyboard or mouse will resolve the issue? but there is only one port.
And below is the screen of the motherboard.
*i65.tinypic.com/211pe8w.jpg

2. *i64.tinypic.com/2r23j2u.jpg

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Try to further isolate the issue by connecting just mouse+SSD and then just keyboard +SSD and check the behavior. Also try connecting USB devices to other ports.

Since when did this problem start? Did you make any modifications to BIOS like overclocking?
What happens when you just load Optimized Defaults in BIOS (I guess you need to explore BIOS to find if any such option exists)

If Mouse + SSD boots but KB+SSD does not then may be something is wrong with the keyboard interface.
Also check if there are any settings related to USB controllers in BIOS and explore those settings, try to enable/disable/alter those settings wherever possible and retry.

The behavior #1 when no SSD/KB/Mouse it goes into BIOS, I am not too sure if it's a fault or behavior by design for newer UEFI Firmware's. Traditionally it should not enter BIOS unless asked to do so. But concepts and tech changes fast!

If tryouts isolate USB keyboard, then you can give it a try with PS2 keyboard, try to borrow one from someone you know or a nearby computer repair shop.

Also just hook a pen drive to a free usb port and see the behavior.

One risky option is to check if BIOS update is available and flash it to latest. But if your board does not have recovery options or dual BIOS and you don't have UPS/Invertor then in case of any power failure during the process, you may end up bricking the board.

OP
aakash_singh

aakash_singh

Broken In
Try to further isolate the issue by connecting just mouse+SSD and then just keyboard +SSD and check the behavior. Also try connecting USB devices to other ports.
Still the same problem.

Since when did this problem start? Did you make any modifications to BIOS like overclocking?
What happens when you just load Optimized Defaults in BIOS (I guess you need to explore BIOS to find if any such option exists)
It's a brand new assembled computer, and the technician did all the work. Resetting BIOS to default or Load optimized doesn't work either.

If tryouts isolate USB keyboard, then you can give it a try with PS2 keyboard, try to borrow one from someone you know or a nearby computer repair shop.
Using PS/2 still doesn't work.

One risky option is to check if BIOS update is available and flash it to latest. But if your board does not have recovery options or dual BIOS and you don't have UPS/Invertor then in case of any power failure during the process, you may end up bricking the board.
BIOS version is latest.

A quick review of my problem one more time. When disconnecting the keyboard and mouse it skips BIOS and boot normally to Windows.
Note: btw, i'm using HDMI output from graphic card if this can be of any help.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
One more thing you can try is push the UEFI boot mode to CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) i.e. it will emulate BIOS mode rather than UEFI, and check if anything changes. You need to explore the firmware setting to locate the exact option. It may be mentioned as Legacy Mode rather than CSM.

In BIOS fiddle with USB Controller options Set Legacy Mode On/Off and test again.
Did you try hooking a pen drive + SSD,what happens this time?
Make sure that in your UEFI boot sequence the Windows boot loader on SSD is at the top of the list

I think on most board the Boot Menu key is F12 check if it's same on yours. When you press F12 during start what boot options do you see?Do you see any invalid/phantom entries therein just in case.

OP
aakash_singh

aakash_singh

Broken In
One more thing you can try is push the UEFI boot mode to CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) i.e. it will emulate BIOS mode rather than UEFI, and check if anything changes. You need to explore the firmware setting to locate the exact option. It may be mentioned as Legacy Mode rather than CSM.
Still not working :(

In BIOS fiddle with USB Controller options Set Legacy Mode On/Off and test again.
No luck :(

Did you try hooking a pen drive + SSD,what happens this time?
Not sure what you exactly mean but yes i also insert pen drive & ssd, it shows usb pen drive on boot menu too. Or should i insert pen drive + ssd and remove keyboard & mouse?

Make sure that in your UEFI boot sequence the Windows boot loader on SSD is at the top of the list.
Yeah it's at the top.

I think on most board the Boot Menu key is F12 check if it's same on yours. When you press F12 during start what boot options do you see?Do you see any invalid/phantom entries therein just in case.
No unusual entries.

It's sad and strange that when removing usb keyboard and mouse it perfectly boots normally. Do you think there will be any problem if i fully format the SSD and install Windows 7 instead?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Yes you need to experiment with combinations. Remove KB/Mouse and just hook a USB pen Drive + SSD and check what happens.
Is your KB/Mouse hooked to USB3 or USB2 if 3 try with 2.0 ports. Some boards still offer 1 PS2 and 2 USB2 ports.Also if not yet tired, try connecting it to front USB if you have one.

One more thing, in BIOS experiment with xHCI handoff settings. Also I hope Windows 10 option is disabled in BIOS since you have installed Win7.

I hope ideally your Windows 7 has been patched for USB drivers that work on newer AM4 controllers.
When PC starts it's BIOS that takes control before booting OS. So it has something to do with BIOS (may be some settings) and the board in my opinion.

Since the PC was assembled by a technician, did they check after assembly if all is OK or the issue has started later sometime?Did it ever work successfully before, since you have installed Win 7 successfully, hence the query.

OP
aakash_singh

aakash_singh

Broken In
Yes you need to experiment with combinations. Remove KB/Mouse and just hook a USB pen Drive + SSD and check what happens.
Okay, removed keyboard+mouse, hooked usb pendrive and SSD, it goes to BIOS again.

Is your KB/Mouse hooked to USB3 or USB2 if 3 try with 2.0 ports. Some boards still offer 1 PS2 and 2 USB2 ports.Also if not yet tired, try connecting it to front USB if you have one.
The keyboard+mouse was hooked near the PS/2 port at the top, yes its 1 PS2 and 2 USB2 ports. Tried connecting to the front, and also at the rear at USB3.0 ports. Still no luck.

One more thing, in BIOS experiment with xHCI handoff settings. Also I hope Windows 10 option is disabled in BIOS since you have installed Win7.
Disabled xHCI handoff, Enabled Legacy USB support. Yes, Windows 10 WHQL support is disabled. No, i haven't installed Windows 7 yet. The technician loaded Windows 10 when they assembled the system.

I guess it's time i take it to the technician. I know it will be hard just to guess from the internet without physically looking at the system, so i thank you very much for your patience and time and expertise.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Since you have Windows 10 (I was under the impression that you have Windows 7) try enabling Windows 10WHQL setting as well.

It seems it has an issue with anything hooked to the USB and PS2 ports. This might be a bug in the firmware or something wrong with the board or possibly some conflicting setting within the BIOS Setup which only try-outs can reveal.

In addition to local technician, just try to contact MSI support and post this query to them as well. Also check if other users on this forum have anything to recommend.

I would have also tried to downgrade the firmware (If and only if it was not going to break the CPU detection, else a NO)

OP
aakash_singh

aakash_singh

Broken In
Hi patkim, finally the issue is resolved. As suggested on this thread (BIOS always display when booting.) i flash the BIOS using M-Flash. I'm sure i have the latest BIOS version when the problem occurs, but now everything is fine when updating to the latest version which was recently released. And the change log also says:

- Improved memory compatibility.
- Improved PCIE device compatibility.
- Update AGESA Code 1.1.0.1 to support Raven Ridge CPU.

Out of curiosity do you think the Improved PCIE device compatibility was the main reason?

Top Bottom