BharOS: IIT Madras-incubated company brings Atmanirbhar "BharOS" for smartphones

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Source: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/gadgets-news/iit-madras-incubated-developer-brings-atmanirbhar-bharos-for-smartphones/articleshow/97138785.cms

I have been trying to see if there are any articles on the internals of the OS but all articles seem to be more or less same to the article above.

I wonder whether it's some Android fork, Linux fork (postmarketos) or built from scratch. Also whether it is open source or not.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I doubt that this would have widespread adoption. Unless govt. mandates OEMs to install it or these guys also produce a handset that uses this.

Anyone know about "Freedom phone" in the US?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Reading some articles gives the feeling that it is basically a fork of Android/AOSP/LineageOS with no default proprietary apps and a closed app store containing curated apps for the security conscious government departments. Something like Sandes. Theoretically.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Any source for this.

If it's a fork of AOSP then what's really special about it? There are like a gazillion AOSP based ROMs, some even made by Indians which doesn't make this the first indigenous ROM.

But yeah, using this for government departments makes sense from a security POV.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Should have chosen to base it on postmarketos or some such. By forking AOSP they are still relying on Google upstream.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
**www.reddit.com/r/developersIndia/c...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Hmm...

Attachments

• 1674721087215.png
    1674721087215.png
    279.8 KB · Views: 94

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Honestly, would have been better if they just took AOSP & built over it instead of taking a custom ROM & building over that, trying to say its developed here. Hopefully we get more info soon.

Too much work and creativity required for that. As I said, that creativity has long flown to Abroad colleges.

Top Bottom