Best SIM card for 30 days USA travel

wwwescape

Journeyman
Hi,

Don't know whether I'm in the right place, but I am travelling to San Francisco, CA in the USA for 30 days. I currently have Vodafone and Jio sim cards. I wanted advice on which sim card I should purchase when I arrive in the USA which give me good value for money. I will need the sim card for occasional calls to persons in the USA (I can use WiFi / data to call home), hardly ever for texting and 4G data to last me for the entirety of my stay.

Please can anyone suggest a good sim card (from experience would help).

My other query was whether or not my Moto Z Play will work in the US?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
wwwescape

wwwescape

Journeyman
I found this: Matrix Prepaid Shop | International Prepaid SIM Card

Is it worth it and is it any good?

ellydev

Broken In
Whenever I travel to the US I use T-Mobile. They have a couple of options. Either it's prepaid for $45 or $55 (depending on how much Internet you want) and it's for a month with unlimited talk and text, or you can use the Pay as You Go option where you pay I think $3 for the SIM card and then you are being charged for each phone call etc., there is a table of costs. The option to pick depends really on how much you would use the phone. There are also some other, a bit more expensive options. The cheaper ones might require credit check. But I've never had any problem with those things. You just go to the US T-Mobile website and pick the "prepaid phones" and you can see all the options there.
Their coverage is pretty good and I've never had any problems. But maybe there are cheaper options, I wouldn't know to be honest.

And I've never heard about the Matrix Prepaid Shop.
In the States it's either Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin or AT&T when it comes to regular, the most well-known providers.

Hope I helped.

OP
wwwescape

wwwescape

Journeyman
Whenever I travel to the US I use T-Mobile. They have a couple of options. Either it's prepaid for $45 or $55 (depending on how much Internet you want) and it's for a month with unlimited talk and text, or you can use the Pay as You Go option where you pay I think $3 for the SIM card and then you are being charged for each phone call etc., there is a table of costs. The option to pick depends really on how much you would use the phone. There are also some other, a bit more expensive options. The cheaper ones might require credit check. But I've never had any problem with those things. You just go to the US T-Mobile website and pick the "prepaid phones" and you can see all the options there.
Their coverage is pretty good and I've never had any problems. But maybe there are cheaper options, I wouldn't know to be honest.

And I've never heard about the Matrix Prepaid Shop.
In the States it's either Sprint, T-Mobile, Virgin or AT&T when it comes to regular, the most well-known providers.

Hope I helped.

Thanks. :)

My other query was whether or not my Moto Z Play will work in the US?

ellydev

Broken In
No problem :)
I once used a phone that wasn't sold in the US, it was Samsung Galaxy A5, and there wasn't any problem with it, so I guess it should be ok. You just need to remember to have your SIM-lock taken off.

OP
wwwescape

wwwescape

Journeyman
No problem :)
I once used a phone that wasn't sold in the US, it was Samsung Galaxy A5, and there wasn't any problem with it, so I guess it should be ok. You just need to remember to have your SIM-lock taken off.

Cool thanks.

Top Bottom