Best free antivirus to install on Windows 8.1?

nikku_hot123

In the zone
^^ really, my system is telling to install Asrock chipset driver even after i installed the latest version for 8.1 from official asrock site.:banghead:

Edit: now it's telling to install my Samsung mobile driver even i have already installed Kies.:rolleyes:

little

Journeyman
I upgraded to 8.1 on 1st of November. Till now I haven't found any major issue. Smaller issues like Samsung driver problem and a few other things like SecuniaPSI AppCrash etc. are there though.

little

Journeyman
I'm running Avast + Comodo for the last 2 days and everything seems fine but Comodo asks for a lot of permissions but i'm ok with that. I wanted to know this is it OK to leave everything in Comodo on default?
Thanks.

P.S : Just found a big problem in Win 8.1 It doesn't recognize Sony Xperia phones connected in Flashboot mode (tired with Xperia U). It just says that the device has malfunctioned. :/

GhostRecon

Broken In
I'm using AVAST AV + Comodo Firewall in Win 8.1 with Spybot Search and Destroy as an extra layer of Antispyware. I also have MalwareBytes scanner installed and scan my computer once a week. AVAST is the most lightweight and best free AV option out there. Using it for last 6 years without any issues (Not a single infection till date in all the machines I've used XP/Vista/7/8 and I'm one of those who use torrent frequently). If you are in Win 8.1, please install the latest version of AVAST as the older versions have conflict and you should be good to go.

PS: I was using ZoneAlarm firewall earlier, it's awesome except has compatibility issues with 8.1. So after it is stabilized, it might become a good alternative to Comodo Firewall.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Microsoft themselves have stated that people should use a 3 rd party Antivirus program. MSE is just an extra layer of protection. If you want to opt for a free AV, there are quite a lot of options.

OP
R2K

R2K

In the Zone
Using avast 2014. i don't know how effective it is but its using ridiculously low system resources.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Microsoft themselves have stated that people should use a 3 rd party Antivirus program. MSE is just an extra layer of protection. If you want to opt for a free AV, there are quite a lot of options.

see this post - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-...ivirus-install-windows-8-1-a.html#post2025589

meetdilip

Computer Addict
PR stunt. 3 rd party antivirus are efficient enough to handle Windows protection. I am not saying MSE is worthless.

Top Bottom