Best budget DSLR to buy right now

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hi all... with age increasing and now also daughter in my laps, I am thinking maybe I should just bite the bullet and treat myself with a DSLR so that I can fulfill my dream of clicking pro level photography with a DSLR. Granted I will still be relying on a budget DSLR, entry level, as I don't need to do photography for profession.

Please suggest me a good buy these days. Also I am open to buy a second hand good DSLR, if anyone on the forum wants to sell their old gear.

My requirements would be:
Portrait pics
Landscape pics

I don't think I would need fancy telephoto or zoom lenses.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Canon and Nikon pretty much stopped making entry level DSLRs. Pentax don't have much presence here in India. And no other are making DSLRs for many years now. I don't remember if there was any new DSLR launch in the last 3yrs or so. So whatever entry level DSLRs are available today are several years old and they cost more now than when it was launched. I checked Flipkart and Amzon, there is no Nikon entry level 3000/5000 series DSLR available. Canon 3000D is the cheapest and it costs about 30k.

You can check mirrorless, but they cost even more than DSLRs. :( Pricing wise about 4-5yrs ago was the best time to buy entry level DSLRs, you could get twin len kit for sub 25k back then.

For used cameras, check JJ Mehta Forum.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, 4-5 years ago, I didn't have enough saved too. :p
Now that I know that entry level Canon 3000D costs around 30k, I think it's a good starting point. I can probably have a budget of around 50k.
Can we get Mirrorless in that budget?

Will checkout JJ Mehta forum. But I am not much aware of camera models, so might be confusing.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
In that budget you can surely avoid 3000D. 1500D is bit better than 3000D priced around 40k which was selling sub 30k few years ago :(
I don't see any other cameras under 50k. So that's about the choices you have. If you see Nikon D3500 available for similar pricing as 1500D, you can consider that too. Both of 'em were selling sub 30k before. D5600 is a step up from D3500 was priced around 40k, I don't see it anywhere online. If you can find it anywhere offline, see if comes in your budget.

I don't remember seeing mirrorless under 50k even back then (except very few), so I doubt if any would be available now. Going by CIPA stats, average price of cameras are going up for the last few years, especially mirrorless.

Sadly, these kinda dedicated cameras going out of reach for masses.

Smartphone cams have became so good that budget DSLRs are an inconvenience.

Also smartphones are better in some regards because of software processing. A friend of mine has Nikon D5200, we took it to a hill station on early morning. It was foggy & the DSLR took very foggy images vs the smartphones (Galaxy S8 & iPhone X). So in the end, we took all photos on those 2 phones instead of the DSLR. We did take some pics on DSLR & tried to correct the raw file on Photoshop, but neither of us were expert enough to bring out the best from it. Smartphones just did everything well on auto. You can potentially get better camera than those 2 phones in 30k phones these days, so no wonder DSLRs are dying down.

Just something I observed. If you passionate about photography, surely DSLRs are worth it, but for most of the casual users, smartphones took that role.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks @nac for the suggestions.
And @omega44-xt raised an important point. Seems due to phone camera catching up entry level DSLRs are dying down. Now I have a conundrum to get a camera or simply a good phone. My current phone LG G6 is quite a bit outdated too. It will be 6 years this November. So if my budget is not for a mirrorless DSLR I should simply get a phone with good camera.

bubusam13

Human
Smartphone cams have became so good that budget DSLRs are an inconvenience.

Also smartphones are better in some regards because of software processing. A friend of mine has Nikon D5200, we took it to a hill station on early morning. It was foggy & the DSLR took very foggy images vs the smartphones (Galaxy S8 & iPhone X). So in the end, we took all photos on those 2 phones instead of the DSLR. We did take some pics on DSLR & tried to correct the raw file on Photoshop(Use Lightroom or Nikon's own free software similar to lightroom), but neither of us were expert enough to bring out the best from it. Smartphones just did everything well on auto. You can potentially get better camera than those 2 phones in 30k phones these days, so no wonder DSLRs are dying down.

Just something I observed. If you passionate about photography, surely DSLRs are worth it, but for most of the casual users, smartphones took that role.
Seems like you told my story. I own both D5200 and S8 and was in same situation. Ended up clicking all photos with S8.

Demerits of DSLR, Mirrorless or stand alone cameras are many for a casual users. You cant share, edit photos instantly just like on a smartphone. if you are clicking RAWs, you need Lightroom. Kit lens is slow. I recent clicked with kit lens in a causal fashion show and sharpness was not so good. Carry extra batteries, chargers are a hazel.

Having said these, smart phone's picture quality is no match to DSLRs. Sensor size matters. And DSLRs can used for specialized purposes with appropriate lens.

I would suggest buy secondhand DSLR body and get new lens of your choice. Or Get S22 Ultra (Available in sale today)

Seems like you told my story. I own both D5200 and S8 and was in same situation. Ended up clicking all photos with S8.

Demerits of DSLR, Mirrorless or stand alone cameras are many for a casual users. You cant share, edit photos instantly just like on a smartphone. if you are clicking RAWs, you need Lightroom. Kit lens is slow. I recent clicked with kit lens in a causal fashion show and sharpness was not so good. Carry extra batteries, chargers are a hazel.

Having said these, smart phone's picture quality is no match to DSLRs. Sensor size matters. And DSLRs can used for specialized purposes with appropriate lens.

I would suggest buy secondhand DSLR body and get new lens of your choice. Or Get S22 Ultra (Available in sale today)
My friend used to click mainly in auto mode & was happy with results. But fog was just too much for the poor Nikon's software algo. Taking all pics as RAW is a big pain.

I agree DSLRs still have the better hardware but smartphones have superior software algorithm & is just convenient. For pics of landscape in good daylight, you will be hard pressed to find differences between the picture quality of a 30k phone like NP1 & a DSLR. Portrait mode is still inferior to natural bokeh but does get close. In low light, surely DSLRs should have the upper hand easily with someone who knows to how the hardware & later edit RAW.

IMO avoid S22 series because of less efficient chip.

1689434351333.png

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Every single motorcycle trip me and my brother went, he always brought his dslr to take pictures and we end up taking pics with my one plus 7 pro.
It is just a PITA to lug that thing around. BUT
DSLR/Mirrorless can take far better pics if you know how to adjust the settings/tune it in photoshop. So if you are willing to invest time and effort to learn it.
IMO the only "modern" camera you should go with is Sony A6000 series. Yes it's a mirrorless and is more expensive, but it is lighter than regular dslrs and comes with in body stabilization for high quality videos.

Thanks @nac for the suggestions.
And @omega44-xt raised an important point. Seems due to phone camera catching up entry level DSLRs are dying down. Now I have a conundrum to get a camera or simply a good phone. My current phone LG G6 is quite a bit outdated too. It will be 6 years this November. So if my budget is not for a mirrorless DSLR I should simply get a phone with good camera.
If you are fine with compact phones, S23 with exchange might be a solid choice IMO. Its size is similar to your G6. There's a 8k exchange bonus, so even with 1k exchange value of your phone, you will get overall 9k discount by exchanging your old G6. With card offers, final cost might be 60-65k.

But list out pros & cons & take a call on buying camera vs flagship smartphone.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, smartphone cameras spoiled dedicated camera industry. Decade ago they were making over a 100 million units a year, last year it stands @ 8 million a year with mirrorless cameras have 51% market share. DSLR market fell sharp when Canon and Nikon shifted their focus to mirrorless.

When you're gonna spend this much, and doubt if ILC is the one for you, should weigh pros and cons of dedicated camera against smartphone.

bubusam13

Human
Every single motorcycle trip me and my brother went, he always brought his dslr to take pictures and we end up taking pics with my one plus 7 pro.
It is just a PITA to lug that thing around. BUT
DSLR/Mirrorless can take far better pics if you know how to adjust the settings/tune it in photoshop. So if you are willing to invest time and effort to learn it.
IMO the only "modern" camera you should go with is Sony A6000 series. Yes it's a mirrorless and is more expensive, but it is lighter than regular dslrs and comes with in body stabilization for high quality videos.

That's a nice camera. I don't own it but I have seen nice and easy captures by it. OP can consider Sony A6000.
My friend used to click mainly in auto mode & was happy with results. But fog was just too much for the poor Nikon's software algo. Taking all pics as RAW is a big pain.

I agree DSLRs still have the better hardware but smartphones have superior software algorithm & is just convenient. For pics of landscape in good daylight, you will be hard pressed to find differences between the picture quality of a 30k phone like NP1 & a DSLR. Portrait mode is still inferior to natural bokeh but does get close. In low light, surely DSLRs should have the upper hand easily with someone who knows to how the hardware & later edit RAW.

IMO avoid S22 series because of less efficient chip.

View attachment 22447
The reason I suggested S22(Rs 77 K) is because the price difference is around 30-40K for very minimal changes. Just 2 hrs extra screentime(based on a comparison video on Youtube) doesnot justify the extra price if OP in on a tight budget. He can get multiple battery replacements :p

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Another option is a go pro hero 10 black. It also is capable of very good shots and having a dedicated device for shooting is better imo on long trips.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
After a long search couldn't find Sony A6000 on Amazon. It might already be discontinued.

Go Pro is just different category, so it's out of the consideration as of now. I will get that too someday.

bubusam13

Human
I think its succeeded by A 6100
*shopatsc.com/collections/alpha-mirrorless-cameras?sort=price-ascending
Does cameras now a days not come with built in flash ?

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yes, all 6(even)00 series has been replaced by 6(odd)00 series with some improvements like additional zones of autofocus, etc. but going for 6(even)00 series might be worth it due to low price.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So just to recap budget mirrorless camera are on a declining trend. Sony 6100 series is one of best option for that. Which comes to around 56k. And its not available on Amazon, but Sony website.

Btw that price is just for camera body and any kind of lenses or even flash isn't included. I can see why entry level dslr is on a declining trend.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
After a long search couldn't find Sony A6000 on Amazon. It might already be discontinued.
A6000 is nearly a decade old camera. Recent in it's line is A6700, announced just this week.
I think its succeeded by A 6100
*shopatsc.com/collections/alpha-mirrorless-cameras?sort=price-ascending
Does cameras now a days not come with built in flash ?
Usually higher end cameras don't come with built-in flash as most who buys them likely use external flash. If the cheaper ones don't have it, then it's cost cutting from manufacturers side I guess. But A6100 does have built-in flash. You can see it from top view, have to pop it open.
Btw that price is just for camera body and any kind of lenses or even flash isn't included. I can see why entry level dslr is on a declining trend.
A6100 with kit lens costs about 67k in Flipkart.

Price of cameras were less when it was mass produced, now the numbers has dropped so the price increased. And mirrorless system isn't as matured as DSLR. Canon R and Nikon Z mount cameras are very young, just about 4-5yrs old.

I don't follow camera segment these days, but I am sure these still stand.
If you're looking for mirrorless cameras,
Recent in the market from Canon is R100, looks like they have cut cost in lots of areas. Better option would be 200D Mark II.
Olympus and Panasonic cameras in this price range comes with smaller sensor. Bigger sensor produce better pictures.
Canon EOS M and Nikon 1 mount cameras are abandoned I think, so don't get those cameras. Canon R and Nikon Z mount cameras are the ones you should look if you're considering mirrorless cameras from them.

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I will be postponing my purchase to do more research atleast till next sale, and to increase my budget.
Thanks everyone for this fruitful discussion and nac for such insights and to figure out different models for me.

Top Bottom