ATI4870 + AMD X2 6000+ = bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpuk

teh 479
Hi guys! First of all, thanks for your advises on my last post for helping me select a good graphics card. Now I've made up my mind for the Power Color Ati HD4870 1GB DDR3.
The psu which I'll buy will either be corsair vx450 or the cooler master 500w.

Now the main problem.... will my cpu and mobo, amd x2 6000+ 3.0ghz 2mb L2 cache on an asus m2a-vm be a bottle neck for the graphics card?

please advise :)

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^

Well OC it to 3+ GHz and lets see how it reacts? If the fps locks , then go get a new CPU, otherwise keep it dude.

BTW a CM600W only make sure that the system is safe with 4870. Otherwise a VX550 will be good.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
that processor won't go beyond 3.2GHz as it is top of the line for that core.

dpuk, no need to change processor right now. Just wait for Core i3 and i5's release. Your processor will become true bottleneck after 4 or 5 months.

Then upgrade to a good quad core processor (Phenom II or Core i3/i5).

OP
D

dpuk

teh 479
sir OCing it isn't needed as 3.0ghz is a good enough speed for a dual core proccy. I'd be happy with 50-60 fps if it look smooth and lag free.

and guys, I can't buy the 600w psu coz it's too darn costly. I want something around 2.5k

desiibond, will quadcore be beneficial for games? I mean, games can utilize only 2 cores efficiently. Quad core is good for video editing and multi tasking.....but for gaming, a good dual core with high clock speed and around 6mb L2 cache is the top thing.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^for games, quadcore is not yet efficient as games are still developed for dual cores. You should see quad core full utilization for upcoming games.

But for gaming, Phenom II series definitely rocks. If only for gaming, you can get Phenom II X2 550 and a good graphics card like GTX275/HD4890.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^

Man that's 100% true. Take GTA 4 for example. It utilizes the quad core much than any game. So getting a Quad Core might be a wise decision as of now, and also Intel starts to slash the prices. So a entry-level Quad will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom