Asus Zenfone 6/Asus 6z First impressions

For a detailed review i recommend you all watch some professional review on YouTube.
However i will give you my personal take on it, and some things that may have been missed by tech reviewers

1. The camera module gets instant hot when capturing slow motion videos.
  2. The rotating camera module noise (the sound of the motors) can be irritating . I prefer not to rotate the module while shooting videos. Focus follow is a no no. The motor noise is too much. You might not hear it loud while shooting videos but when u view the output video the noise is too loud.
  3. The 13mpx ultra wide sensor is pretty weak in low light as evidenced in the video i made below
  4. I removed autocomplete and dictionary in the keyboard settings, but it still functions . Still havent figure out how to remove it completely. I am not a native English speaker and i message in different languages ,so when it autocorrects my text all the time it bugs me. (anyone got a solution?)
  5. Stabilization is pretty awesome, as good as the iPhone 8. Guess optical image stabilization will be phased out of cellphones. If software can do what a large stabilization module can do, then phone manufacturers can save a lot of cost and precious space inside the phone's body
  6. There is no toggle for SIM1/SIM2 Data Connection in the notification. Wish they copied this feature from other phones (like my older One Plus 3). I live in the hills and i have to keep switching data from my Voda and Airtel sim based on where i am.
  7. I am loving the special smart button on the right side. I dont miss the toggle switch on my OnePlus at all.
  8. Swipe Gesture to screenshot is missing. Taking screenshots while inside a game was much easier on OnePlus as i can two finger swipe down there. However, the screenshot features are much richer here, like i can take screenshot of whole web pages.
  9. Overheating is not an issue while gaming. Like, it heats but its bearable. My One Plus 3 heated much faster (maybe because i was using it for several years)
  10. Haven't even charged the phone since it arrived :) It came 60% out of the box and its around 20% now after lots and lots of shooting videos and pics and some light gaming. Gonna finally charge now. Battery drop is significant while shooting slow motion videos. Like i could see the drop actually happening.
  11. I still dont know what the AI Boost feature does. Its an always on feature across all apps.
  12. Feels chunky. Not just because of its weight but also due to its thickness. Girls may not like this phone.
  13. Display quality is similar to iPhone 8. I even put them side by side. No difference!! The blacks aren't as black as my One Plus but the colours are more vibrant. There is an option in display settings that is quiet similar to the Bravia thing used by Sony phones. Makes colours very punchy. Some may not like it. I guess Asus grabbed the best IPS panels in the market. Maybe from the same supplier as Apple.
  14. Game Genie feature is still a mystery to me. I wish i knew what it actually does. Does it downclock the CPU according to games or simply kills notification?. Asus, please be more clear.
  15. In my One Plus, when i double tapped to wake the screen i was directly taken to the home screen. Here, after waking the screen, i am first taken to the notification page. I need to swipe it to reach the home screen. I dont like this at all. I want to get to my phone fast and quickly like One Plus.
Below is a video i made using the 13mpx wide lense. Take a look.

If there is any query feel free to ask. :)

PS. the new update that fixes camera issues and adds new feature like 8x digital zoom is still not available in India. Its already out in other countries. C'mon Asus India do something!!

monkey

Padawan
One more important observation I had in 6z: The earpiece sound seems to be very low. You will have to concentrate hard to listen to the person. I came to know this when I bought this phone for my wife and she went crazy as she could hardly hear anything from the earpiece. There was no problem while using the speaker or the handsfree. I had to do lot of searching in settings to see if the volume could be increased but nothing made the difference.

And then I found the solution: Due to its design (read full screen) the earpiece had to be moved to very top edge. As a result we have to keep the phone lower and not over the ear. This position seems awkward but was done due to design limitation.

So if anyone is using the phone please remember this optimal position.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Guys, dont buy this... The phone died, after 27 days of usage. I made a video about it. The camera module is also loose. Never buy a new phone until people have used it for sometime, and shared their experience

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
??I guess its true that asus mobiles' quality have gone down in recent times.Max pro m1 thread on their forum filled with software issues & max pro m2 actually stopped production because of hardware issues.Their laptops,mobos & graphics cards though are still going strong.

monkey

Padawan
??I guess its true that asus mobiles' quality have gone down in recent times.Max pro m1 thread on their forum filled with software issues & max pro m2 actually stopped production because of hardware issues.Their laptops,mobos & graphics cards though are still going strong.

I am keeping my fingers crossed now because I got my sister Max Pro M1 a few months back, 6z for my wife and Max Pro M2 for my friend last month. All are working fine till now.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am keeping my fingers crossed now because I got my sister Max Pro M1 a few months back, 6z for my wife and Max Pro M2 for my friend last month. All are working fine till now.
Well it is not 100% so hopefully you won't face issues.Just to be on safe side though do not update to Pie on max pro models(at least not before reading comments on xda forum,gsmarena & asus own forums).

P.S. btw from where did you get max pro m2 as it is out of stock for more than 2 months now on flipkart.

monkey

Padawan
All phones are up-to-date without any problem.
As for Max Pro M2, it was pure luck. It is always out-of-stock and whenever it came in stock (I had enabled notification in Flipkart) it quickly went out-of-stock within an hour. And when I had given up and tried to order Nokia 7.1 the Max Pro M2 came right in front of me. I took no time in ordering it and it was gone soon. :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
by "up-to-date" you mean the latest pie update firmware by Asus released this May?

May be it came back for a very short time but it can be safely assumed that max pro m2 is out of production/very little production considering the much wider availability of older max pro m1 model even now.

monkey

Padawan
by "up-to-date" you mean the latest pie update firmware by Asus released this May?

May be it came back for a very short time but it can be safely assumed that max pro m2 is out of production/very little production considering the much wider availability of older max pro m1 model even now.

Yeah, my sister's Max Pro M1 is updated to Pie but will have to check the last update date it got.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post it if possible,I may be interested in it or suggest it to a friend if it looks like it is working good enough after latest pie update.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,it is the latest pie update by asus for max pro m1. Btw check this post from a member using max pro m1: Is Samsung galaxy m20 is a good buy for a budget of 10k ?

Top Bottom