Asteroid named "2012 DA14" to pass close by Earth tonight (15-16 Feb 2013)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Asteroid 2012 DA14 to pass close by Earth tonight, scientists rule out possibility of collision

*media2.intoday.in/indiatoday/images/stories//2013February/asteroid_660_021513082118.jpg​

A large asteroid approaching the earth at great speed. Scientists, sitting in a control room, keeping a close eye on its trajectory on large screens before them.

After a few hours and ground-based maneuvering, they finally manage to deflect the rogue body and save the planet earth from a catastrophe. This familiar sequence from sci-fi films may be enacted in control rooms of space agencies on Friday when an asteroid, designated 2012 DA14, about half the size of a football field flies past the earth. The only difference, however, is that scientists have ruled out any possibility of a collision with earth.

Nevertheless, it is a close call. The nearest the flying object will come to the earth is 27,600 km. It is indeed close shave in astronomical terms, because some of our communication satellites fly above this mark at 36,000 km.

"The trajectory was analysed and we see no danger to our satellites", a spokesperson of the Indian Space Research Organisation said. The closest approach as seen from Delhi will be between 1 am and 2 am on February 16, at a point where the asteroid will be seen near Virgo constellation, according to C.B Devgun of amateur astronomy group SPACE India.

Source: *indiatoday.intoday.in/story/asteroid-2012-da14-earth-isro-collision-scientists/1/250302.html

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If you are talking about this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/random-news/170200-meteorite-slams-russia.html, then no they are not the same.
If there is some other thread on 2012 DA14, then my bad, I didn't search.

Flash

Lost in speed
Re: Asteroid named "2012 DA14" to pass close by Earth tonight (15-16 Feb 2013)

If you are talking about this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/random-news/170200-meteorite-slams-russia.html, then no they are not the same.
If there is some other thread on 2012 DA14, then my bad, I didn't search.

Sorry. my mistake..

will it be visible from India? or is it already gone?
"The closest approach as seen from Delhi will be between 1 am and 2 am on February 16, at a point where the asteroid will be seen near Virgo constellation, according to C.B Devgun of amateur astronomy group SPACE India".

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I tried to watch the live telecast. Not as interesting as I initially thought. I was comparing it with lunar eclipse live telecast! :p

amjath

Human Spambot
Future is not safe :p
Fireball streaks across California skies: three shooting stars in one day | The Verge

Top Bottom