arrival of broadband with new probs for me!!!! help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansraj

In the zone
guys i need help as iam not able to figure out this prob...

MY SYSTEM: i have a desktop and a laptop connected to each other thru the bsnl modem type II(ethernet port from desktop connected to modem and wi-fi from the laptop). operating system in both of them is XP.

PROBLEM 1: My first problem is that since the day i started using my broadband for internet from desktop i got this message "svchost.exe application error"(pasted below as first prob). After this browsing is not possible as website not found starts coming in IE. So i formatted the desktop n reinstalled XP. Now similar problem occured with the error message "generic host process for win32 has encountered error...."(pasted below as second error. this also leaves me with no browsing capability. This problem does not happen in my laptop. Also if i use the reliance dial up for internet then this problem does not occur.

MY ATTEMPTS: i tried to read the error messages in the event log but the event log indicates that the service was stopped just seconds before the actual error and no traces of what has happened is there to see.

PROBLEM 2: though i can access internet using the laptop or desktop through the common bsnl modem singly (also i can acess files on both pcs with each other). but iam unable to share the internet connection, that is to say when i connect my laptop to internet, iam unable to browse from the desktop and vice versa. however before the broadband when i had reliance mobile dial up internet i could browse from both the pcs when one of them was on internet.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
i have an updated norton antivirus.... but if u say so i will run it once more........

i did scan .... its not a virus infection.
mind u this prob does not happen if i log on to internet using the reliance dial up

Last edited:

sashijoseph

In the zone
Do you have sp2 installed?
What's the status of your XP firewall?
Try temporarily disabling peripherals(through device mgr)like sound, printer, scanner etc.
Try automatic updates through your reliance connection.
Finally(only for testing purposes) borrow a different XP build from a friend,with sp2 slipstreamed and do a fresh install.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
@sashijoseph
ya mine is sp2.
firewall is enabled for the broadband as well as reliance connection. however it is disabled for the lan connection between the two pcs.
i tried to patch the sp2 with WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU update which is said to be the problem solver. but it says that the msi.dll file in the windows/system32 folder is less than 3.1 ver

sashijoseph

In the zone
^ then update the windows installer.Download from here :
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/detail...FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
@sashijoseph
ya i got the 3.1 installer downloaded from some other site after googling... iam checking the problem now again if it re-occurs....

@ax3
This is not a problem with isp coz i have never faced this problem on my laptop but only on my pc (with the same broadband connection)

ok guys after 2 hrs now again the same problem... so even after patching with the three ms updates i.e.

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86_2
WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ENU
WindowsXP-KB927891-v3-x86-ENU

i am still stuck with the same prob

Last edited:
OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
guys thanks for the help ............... after 2 months of my ordeal i have found the solution to my problem which is
WindowsXP-KB921883-x86-ENU
this patch finally solved it. Any one with such prob can either get the patch from microsoft or me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom