Are there battery packs for desktop computers?

srdigit16

In the zone
Is there a rechargeable battery pack for desktop? I mean to use it like a laptop with 3 to 4 hours backup. Or higher capacity UPS is the only solution?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Is there a rechargeable battery pack for desktop? I mean to use it like a laptop with 3 to 4 hours backup. Or higher capacity UPS is the only solution?

Actually, UPS is equivalent to battery pack, except like laptop, the desktop and ups are not in one piece. If you want to use it for long hours, you should get a double(Or even single will work great with high capacity battery, and if your power is less than 450w) battery inverter and power the whole house for 3-4 hours(or more depending on your usage) since that is more justified than buying a UPS.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Actually, UPS is equivalent to battery pack, except like laptop, the desktop and ups are not in one piece. If you want to use it for long hours, you should get a double(Or even single will work great with high capacity battery, and if your power is less than 450w) battery inverter and power the whole house for 3-4 hours(or more depending on your usage) since that is more justified than buying a UPS.
You mean power of SMPS < 450 W can be connected to inverter? How do I choose required power? But sometimes power can slightly go & come when power failure occurs & when inverter backup becomes active (when load is high) which may cause computer to abruptly shut down.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
You mean power of SMPS < 450 W can be connected to inverter? How do I choose required power? But sometimes power can slightly go & come when power failure occurs & when inverter backup becomes active (when load is high) which may cause computer to abruptly shut down.

modern inverters act instanly like ups, there is no delay noticed.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan

in my last job, my junior once asked me this during a power cut. actually ups used to beep for some 5-8 minutes as for some 4-5 minutes all grade 4 staff used to wait for power supply to get restored and only after that they used to go to start the generator.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
there is no delay in UPS mode but there is in inverter mode.

I was confused as to what this mode did, i asked the guy who came to do work, he said that in ups mode wud make pure sinwave whereas the inverter mode wud output square wave, which could be used to power more appliances, but the ups mode could be used for smaller appliances like pc but with less efficiency.

rn its in inverter mode, but the lag is barely noticeable.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
in early days UPS was designed to prevent loss of work/data in case of power cut with max 5mins backup. As technology evolved backup time increased.

Top Bottom