Apple Sells Two Million Copies of Mac OS X Leopard in First Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Since releasing Mac OS X Leopard on Friday, Apple sold (or delivered, in the case of maintenance agreements) more than 2 million copies of the sixth major release of Mac OS X, far outpacing the first weekend sales of Mac OS X Tiger, which was previously the most successful OS release in Apple’s history. “Early indications are that Leopard will be a huge hit with customers,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Leopard’s innovative features are getting great reviews and making more people than ever think about switching to the Mac.” Read more...

[Via Apple]

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
that's cool.. it shows the cult of apple

offtopic : when is iphone going to come to india
and when released what will its price be.. the 4gb version...
thanks

PavanPoghul

Broken In
offtopic: akshay, iPhone shud be here sometime in 2008, nothing is confirmed now. the price will be as usual almost the double price of US thanks to our super tax system :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Just in passing: Family pack of Leopard = 9.3k! That's a loot! I might just pay for Leopard if it comes to below 5k...;)

Edit: ooooh. I'm on my 1999th post! Gonna use the 2000th post for a good cause...

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
good for Apple.. but I'm interested in how many Macs actually sold with leopard. that would show how many new customers apple added.
or is most of the 2 million from the old customer base upgrading to leopard ?

offtopic: vista sold 22 million in first month, mostly new PCs
apple's total user base is around 25 million.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
jus goes to tell u how pissed off ppl were of tiger that they were desparate to get rid of it only to go another OS which has more bugs and problems :D .... and thats the truth ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
DigitalDude said:
good for Apple.. but I'm interested in how many Macs actually sold with leopard. that would show how many new customers apple added.
or is most of the 2 million from the old customer base upgrading to leopard ?
Microsoft is a software company and Apple is a hardware company. Both of them count their software sales in different ways. For Microsoft, every single copy of Windows shipped out of Redmond is a "sale". It does not matter if the copy has gone to OEMs or directly to the customer or even if it is still lying in a showroom.

With Apple, the case is different. Apple sells Mac OS X and also the machines that run Mac OS X. Also, Apple has a lot fewer partners and quite a small distribution chain compared to Microsoft. The sale of a new Mac, which has Leopard pre-installed is not counted as a sale for Leopard because Mac OS X is "free" with Macs. Furthermore, Apple only accounts for actual sales to the customer, not to their distribution partners like Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

Therefore, two million here refers to the total number of boxed retail copies of Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard sold to consumers by Apple, and only Apple, in two and a half days. Every single copy has been sold to an existing user seeking to upgrade from Tiger. The sales of new Macs are not included in this total.

"Apple shipped 2,164,000 Macintosh® computers (in the most recently concluded quarter), representing 34 percent growth over the year-ago quarter and exceeding the previous quarterly record for Mac® shipments by 400,000." Considering the release of Leopard and the upcoming christmas holiday season, the current quarter is probably going to be exponentially huge for Apple.

Hope that answers your doubts! :)

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
certainly MAC is the computer for people for people not into technology
that might change.. but not any time soon...!

apple needs geniuses like me first..! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom