Any software to check the Laptop Fan speed?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Is there any app that can tell me for sure if the laptop fan is working or not and what's the fan speed?
There are several apps out there but most seem to be working on desktop PC, I am not to sure if they work on Laptop.

I tried SpeedFan but sadly for unknown reasons the app crashes on my Windows 7 SP1.

I suspect that my laptop fan speed has significantly slowed down. I hear faint noise when I keep my ear close to laptop but nothing much air flow is sensed at the outlet vents. So I want to avoid experimenting with it now.
Thx.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for your inputs.

Looks like my laptop (Old Sony Vaio model)does not have any fan speed sensor and apps that I tried did not show any FAN Speed as a monitored item on the list anywhere in their output.
Sony has not released any such customized app from their end for this laptop.

I was counting on SpeedFan app but for some reasons it crashes on my Window 7 SP1!

Flash

Lost in speed
I was counting on SpeedFan app but for some reasons it crashes on my Window 7 SP1!
Tried compatibility mode?
Also try this - SpeedFan article: How to use SpeedFan's command line parameters

The /NOSUPERIO switch
The SuperIO chip contains several functionalities. From the keyboard interface, to floppy, serial and parallel ports, power management and so on. Some SuperIO chips also contain hardware monitoring capabilities and/or fan control support. This is the reason why SpeedFan tries to automatically identify them. This works most of the time, but it looks like that some manufacturers are using custom devices and configurations that collide with this detection process. Such manufacturers include DELL (but not all DELL products). If SpeedFan hangs or causes your system to crash, this switch will be a good candidate for a fix.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for your inputs. Look like SpeedFan has some issues with my old Sony Vaio laptop. Come what may even in safe mode or compatibility mode (Xp SP3) it does not work. Seems Windows 7 on my laptop might have some corruption somewhere or app has issues with this hardware!

I however took the laptop to a local laptop repair shop and asked the guy to open and inspect it. He removed lots of dust from the fan and also some fragments of plastic (may be a fan blade got slightly broken somewhere). I guess these were slowing it down. He checked and confirmed that fan is now OK and now after reassembly I can even sense some air flow at the vent. So far so good.

Top Bottom