Any linux geek out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnpandya

Broken In
I had dual boot system having Windows XP and PCQLinux 2004. I used 4 GB of my hdd for linux. GRUB was used as the Boot Loader. I wanted that 4 GB back to store some data. I formatted the linux space using windows xp computer manager. I rebooted the pc, it stopped after writing GRUB... !

I tried using the restoration by command prompt from windows xp installation CD and using FIXBOOT. It fixed the boot record but still the problem was there. I was in a hurry and installed the operating system again to get back to work and got rid of the GRUB.

Is there any other way to uninstall GRUB before deleting Linux partitions? I could not find it in linux!

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Just rewrite mbr using other operating system's boot record will get grup out !!

for xp i do boot from installation cd and then fixmbr, fixboot ...
btw.. there is help.. see that. it has other things also ..

OP
J

jnpandya

Broken In
Thanks friends.

There is no provision for FDISK when we boot in recovery mode using WinXP cd. So FDISK /MBR will not work.

As Ricky is saying, I tried FIXMBR but it says that I may not be able to access partitions after using it, that was a threatening thing for me. I had all NTFS partitions so did not want to take the risk. Would have it been safe to use FIXMBR?

What is the chance of loosing data or access to partitions?

Thanks again for the responses

devianthulk

Broken In
There is no risk of data corruption.
Since ur so apprehensive bout dis, just install a third party
boot loader program that installs itself in the mbr. Then configure it
accordingly.

I use XOSL (eXtended Operating System Loader). Its free and easy to use.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
fixmbr will make it alright. nothing to worry about.

My first linux experience:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3930

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom