Any alternatives to Lenovo Z510!

Simplon

Broken In
Friends!

After going through recent threads in the forum; I decided to buy Lenovo Z 510 1.(Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-387061) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) or 2.Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-387057) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph). However both are not available in Hyderabad. They seem to have only this model Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-405848) Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 1GB Graph). I'm not interested in this SSHD one. The market is full with the ULV ones and G510 and Y510P are unavailable, or for that matter almost no "M" ones. I do not intend to buy online; as they are not deliverable at my place and due to warranty issues. The retailers are telling that Z510 is going to be stopped shortly.

I strictly want to go with the M processor ones and budget is upto 50K and can stretch by 5k if something is worthy to invest. My daily routines include coding, web browsing (10-12 tabs), light gaming. I prefer ones with good build quality and durability. So please suggest alternate laptops with M processor (configuration alike to Z510).

OP
S

Simplon

Broken In
Thank you for the reply Anupam. I am bit apprehensive about the SSHD. Can somebody throw light on the use of 8GB SSD? I think the OS does'nt fit in it (Correct if I am wrong). So why should I waste money on that thing. Since the non-sshd are not available (discontinued??), is Lenovo going to release new models. I just want to know if it is worth waiting??

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thank you for the reply Anupam. I am bit apprehensive about the SSHD. Can somebody throw light on the use of 8GB SSD? I think the OS does'nt fit in it (Correct if I am wrong). So why should I waste money on that thing. Since the non-sshd are not available (discontinued??), is Lenovo going to release new models. I just want to know if it is worth waiting??
Sshds are gimmicks at best.

OP
S

Simplon

Broken In
+1 to G510/Z510

As I have mentioned in my earlier post, the G510 is no longer available and I dont want to go with that SSHD Variant.

- - - Updated - - -

Sshds are gimmicks at best.

Thanks for replying Seamon! I second you on SSHDs and that is the reason why I dont want to buy the SSHD variant. Any new models coming from Lenovo? since most of the earlier ones especially the M ones are discontinued?

The 8GB is used for caching & is said to improve boot up time & all....... You can't use that SSD for storage

nandu26

In the zone
You can also consider Dell Vostro but I don't know how good it is when compared to Z510. Can any one throw light on this?

Friends!

After going through recent threads in the forum; I decided to buy Lenovo Z 510 1.(Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-387061) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) or 2.Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-387057) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph). However both are not available in Hyderabad. They seem to have only this model Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-405848) Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB 8GB SSD/ Win8.1/ 1GB Graph). I'm not interested in this SSHD one. The market is full with the ULV ones and G510 and Y510P are unavailable, or for that matter almost no "M" ones. I do not intend to buy online; as they are not deliverable at my place and due to warranty issues. The retailers are telling that Z510 is going to be stopped shortly.

I strictly want to go with the M processor ones and budget is upto 50K and can stretch by 5k if something is worthy to invest. My daily routines include coding, web browsing (10-12 tabs), light gaming. I prefer ones with good build quality and durability. So please suggest alternate laptops with M processor (configuration alike to Z510).

i personally use y510p(i7)...bt i have used ulv lappys of my friends....i can assure u apart from hardcore gaming,it can handle all other tasks pretty well.....for coding,n using upto 30tabs,n running more than one virtual machine,multitasking its more than enough...u cant find any difference as such...moreover it gives awesome battery life..for moderate gaming also,its absolutely fine....like a i7 4510U with nvidia 840m or a i7 4500U with amd 8850 can run watchdog(med to high), BF4, Crysis 3 smoothly........they arent that bad as people think...

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
i personally use y510p(i7)...bt i have used ulv lappys of my friends....i can assure u apart from hardcore gaming,it can handle all other tasks pretty well.....for coding,n using upto 30tabs,n running more than one virtual machine,multitasking its more than enough...u cant find any difference as such...moreover it gives awesome battery life..for moderate gaming also,its absolutely fine....like a i7 4510U with nvidia 840m or a i7 4500U with amd 8850 can run watchdog(med to high), BF4, Crysis 3 smoothly........they arent that bad as people think...

+1 to this. ULVs are not that bad. Most people think they give the performance of core 2 duo CPUs from 2007.
I am an owner of such a laptop. I compared Crysis 3 and BF4 in a core i7U+8850M and core i7Q+GT 760m(simulated). The results were very close. GT 760m obviously had the upperhand by 3-4 FPS.
Then I brought the 760m down to GT 755m level, and the performance was exactly same.
However it was no match for core i7Q + GTX 770m(simulated).

The only difference is that the core i7 Q is pushed to 50-60% usage while the core i7U gets pushed upto 80-85%.

- - - Updated - - -

However, such consistent performance in future games like GTA V and Witcher 3 is still a little questionable since those games are going to be CPU intensive at the very least.

ULV aren't bad, its just that 'M' suffix ones are even better, so better to get M one when its available at same price.

Z510, Y510 & Y50 have best possible specs for their price respectively in India.

OP
S

Simplon

Broken In
[MENTION=104576]Soumik[/MENTION]
Thank you for the wise words. Now I am looking into ULV configurations as well.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION]
Thank you for the detailed illustration.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=60562]anupam_pb[/MENTION]:Thank you. That is the reason why I am still inclined towards z510. The Y510P is currently available in i7 only @70K. Is there any chance that i5 version of the Y50 shall be available in near future, cos I saw the Y50 in i5 in US Lenovo website.

Anyone from hyderabad: Please throw some light where these models might be available.1.(Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-387061) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) or 2.Lenovo Ideapad Z510 (59-387057) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph). I've tried in Secunderabad and IT Mall Khairatabad.

Last edited:

matrixx

Journeyman
Check chroma and Reliance digital. I saw Z510 successor model last week in Reliance digital, not remember exact model.

OP
S

Simplon

Broken In
Check chroma and Reliance digital. I saw Z510 successor model last week in Reliance digital, not remember exact model.

"Successor model to z510" ----- thats great to hear. Can u please recollect vital specs atleast (the processor, gpu etc)

retz

Broken In
user-removable battery???

Does the z510 does'nt have user removable battery??

The battery is inside the case. I don't know whether it's easy to remove after opening it up, but it is definitely a more ultrabook-like battery config than a laptop one.

I think they regreated the design choice because in the z50-70 (which I've been told is a sort of successor to the z510) they had a normal user-removable battery (as in most of their models).

You should definitely check out the laptop in the showroom before purchase. I type a lot, and coming from an island-style HP keyboard, the z510's keyboard is not up to the mark, it's screen is quite mehish, and this battery thing is weird. Other than that, the only issue for me is that it has a 4 cell battery with no option to upgrade. It's got a pretty good ventilation system, so that seems to be a big positive. It's quite a decent laptop, but given that I don't really play a lot of games, I'm willing to sacrifice on performance to get better quality keyboard/screen/etc.

krs007

Right off the assembly line

Z 50-70 is the supposed successor model according to many sales guys (???) I know it is a ULV one. I saw a demo piece. Display is average but can be OK for daily chores.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it has a better screen and keyboard. (and user-removable battery!)

It (z50-70)does have a removable battery and very easy to maintain n upgrade.

I saw Z510 as well. The battery is indeed inside the case. Very Very tricky and difficult to open. You got to remove few screws from back, then the ODD, the keyboard (completely), then few screws again to get hands on the memory modules, hdd and battery. The GPU also is soldered. I heard from a knowledgeable sales guy that Lenovo has also realised about this troublesome design and the model is going to be discontinued very soon. The display is also very average and worst viewing angles.

Top Bottom