Another 20k laptop buying advice - word processing, assignment, movies

happy17292

Ambassador of Buzz
Updating the post as this might help someone looking for a similar laptop

EDIT : Bought a lenovo G50-45 and upgraded to 4GB RAM. total cost 22500 + 1300 (RAM) = 23800/-
specs: AMD A6, 2GB RAM (4GB total after upgrading), 500GB HDD.

Couldn't find A8 equipped laptop in local markets, even A6 was difficult to find. Only celeron and pentium quad core laptops were available in my budget with cheapest i3 being sold at 28k.

As of now, i feel 4GB upgrade was an useless expense. Laptop is not powerful enough to fully utilize it. When i run HD music video and microsoft word together, video starts to freeze randomly, Even word freezes sometimes most probably due to weak processor.

Screen sometimes flickers when running on battery. Trackpad failed to work twice so far, i had to either use a usb mouse (which stragely solved the trackpad problem as trackpad started to work again) or restart to get it working again. My friends say its normal but since i have used desktops only for my whole life, this kind of minor problems are totally unacceptable even for a budget laptop.

These two minor problems left me with a bad taste, so this is going to be my first and last lenovo purchase.

Although this is a budget model, i have tried some games on it
my old GT240 1GB GPU was a lot more powerful than integrated GPU on this laptop.

Euro truck sim works fine at 720p but all visual options have to be kept at low.

Test drive unlimited 1 works fine at native resolution with details kept low

Test drive unlimited 2 suffers frame drops even at lowest graphics and 720p.

I will update this thread once i have tried more games.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD) : under 20k. can increase to 24k MAX ONLY IF REQUIRED

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

14" to 15.6"

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook? Word processing, assignments, browsing, and movies. NO Gaming at all or other hardware intensive works.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ? No idea. This is going to be my first laptop

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: none
b. Dislike: intex, iball etc.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

I never (and still don't) liked laptops so i don't want to spend too much on it. I already have a desktop. Need laptop only to carry to college/work for some word processing/assignment and internet browsing. I might watch HD movies too but its not required if a laptop in this budget can't play HD movies (have no idea how powerful entry level laptops are)
I already have a tablet and i don't want to work with touch screen devices.
Moreover since my dad's buying this for me, i want to keep the price as low as possible to avoid unnecessary financial burden.

I have a few questions: I saw some similar threads and members suggested
HP 15-g049AU Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1) (K5B45PA) Rs.23649 Price in India - Buy HP 15-g049AU Notebook (APU Quad Core A8/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1) (K5B45PA) Online - HP : Flipkart.com

How is above mentioned AMD A8 powered laptop better for my use than the ones listed in below links? Is the extra processing power of AMD A8 required for my usage? Why are below mentioned laptops are a bad choice? (if they actually are)

Asus X552EA-SX009D Laptop (APU Dual Core/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Rs.18450 Price in India - Buy Asus X552EA-SX009D Laptop (APU Dual Core/ 2GB/ 500GB/ DOS) Black Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

Asus XX515D X Series Pentium Quad Core (4th Gen) - (39.624 cm/500 GB HDD/2 GB DDR3 Notebook Rs.18940 Price in India - Buy Asus XX515D X Series Pentium Quad Core (4th Gen) - (39.624 cm/500 GB HDD/2 GB DDR3 Notebook Black Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

ps: I can't buy from flipkart and amazon as they don't ship high value items to my state. and I don't trust snapdeal and ebay. Any other options? :|
I don't want to buy used ones from olx quikr.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
For your needs, any laptop with 4 GB ram + a quad core AMD A8 or Intel N3540 would be sufficient. Try to get a laptop with 1 TB HDD.

Top Bottom