Android phone for grandparent

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Grandparent not much educated but can follow basic steps. Eyesight good. Needs a phone mainly for regular calls and occasional video calls. Focus on least notification producing bloatware, good call clarity, moderate camera, size less than 6 inches.

Here is the questionnaire:

1. Budget?
Less than 10,000 rupees.
2. Display type and size?
Less than 6 inches, any type.
3. Dual sim?
Not important.
4. Preferred choice of brand?
Not sure. Prefer non-Chinese. Not hard preference.
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Moderately decent. Mainly for video calls. And may be record antics of grandchildren.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc).
Android only. Closer to stock Android preferred.
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi).
4G, Wifi AC if possible.
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Regular phone calls, video calls via WhatsApp, media consumption through television apps.
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
No idea.
10. Any other info that you want to share.
Not having notification spammy apps is important.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
At that budget, I wud suggest micromax in 1, as it is in your budget, has 0 bloat, stock android, The screen is above 6inches though.

I wud have suggested samsung M01 because it is best for senior citizens, ONEUI is perfect for them, but it has that bloat and spammy notifications.

nokia 2.3, 3.2 are also good, as it has stock android and no bloat, but the processor feels weak TBH.

So, Go for MMX to get good processor and UI, Go for samsung for better build, Nokia for best software and some extra features.

All the above mentioned are not chinese and hopefully dont spy. But unfortunately, non of them is small screen size.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Micromax is not to be trusted. I had Canvas Nitro and Micromax used to install shitty applications with no permission. Even when deleted they used to comes back. They went so far as to install APUS launcher changing the whole homescreen itself one day when I said enough is enough.

Recently I am fed up of all the underhanded tactics employed by Samsung to get us to agree to all the shitty applications they want to install on your phone. I had bought the M31s and since I have been reading about Samsung pushing ads kept my eyes peeled during the setup. But I could not escape their trap and started seeing so many new applications pop-up literally in front of my eyes. I had to take the help of a YouTube video to understand how in spite of not agreeing to anything this happened. Turns out they have an MBA in obfuscation and needs advanced social de-engineering skills to figure out. I had to re-do the whole setup process.

I have seen that Nokia hardware is not very reliable. (close acquintances with broken port)

I may just randomly select one from the recommendation here and hope for best.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Micromax is not to be trusted. I had Canvas Nitro and Micromax used to install shitty applications with no permission. Even when deleted they used to comes back. They went so far as to install APUS launcher changing the whole homescreen itself one day when I said enough is enough.

Recently I am fed up of all the underhanded tactics employed by Samsung to get us to agree to all the shitty applications they want to install on your phone. I had bought the M31s and since I have been reading about Samsung pushing ads kept my eyes peeled during the setup. But I could not escape their trap and started seeing so many new applications pop-up literally in front of my eyes. I had to take the help of a YouTube video to understand how in spite of not agreeing to anything this happened. Turns out they have an MBA in obfuscation and needs advanced social de-engineering skills to figure out. I had to re-do the whole setup process.

I have seen that Nokia hardware is not very reliable. (close acquintances with broken port)

I may just randomly select one from the recommendation here and hope for best.

Just for more help, my preference wud be

Nokia=samsung>micromax.

Or you may wait a bit as the leaks for zenfone max pro M3 are coming so it will launch soon in next 3-4 months or so...

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have used ZenPhones in the past including Max and Z series. I can go with that.

Otherwise In 1b probably.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I have used ZenPhones in the past including Max and Z series. I can go with that.

Otherwise In 1b probably.

U should wait for "REAL" reviews of In 1b as all the reviews which came yesterday are BIASED. Was watching BeeBom's review, Until i saw that line in description which said " This is not our review." So maybe wait then?

Wait for detailed reviews of Micromax in note 1. Watch multiple reviews to get a better idea, say from Youtubers like Geekyranjit, C4ETech, Mr. Phone, Beeborn, etc. I don't like the videos by Technical Guruji, in a way he doesn't do reviews & shouldn't be considered one. Apparently other than Geekyranjit, other reviewers I follow haven't got the Micromax phone, so maybe Micromax is trying to outsmart people, let's see.

Other options are Poco M2 & Redmi 9 Prime (spend time to disable ads/recommendations).

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Wait for detailed reviews of Micromax in note 1. Watch multiple reviews to get a better idea, say from Youtubers like Geekyranjit, C4ETech, Mr. Phone, Beeborn, etc. I don't like the videos by Technical Guruji, in a way he doesn't do reviews & shouldn't be considered one. Apparently other than Geekyranjit, other reviewers I follow haven't got the Micromax phone, so maybe Micromax is trying to outsmart people, let's see.

Other options are Poco M2 & Redmi 9 Prime (spend time to disable ads/recommendations).

BeeBom has one review, But in the description, He has written "This is not our review of Micromax In note 1"

Technical Guruji has already told that he doesnt review, He only unboxes devices.(And still has more subs than Good reviewers :|)

I also saw Tech Burner's review. He did a good job on pointing out some issues like the multitouch problem, But that problem was later solved by micromax in a tweet.

Else, Most of the reviews looked same, which felt that MMX had given these guys some script to learn and say.

BeeBom has one review, But in the description, He has written "This is not our review of Micromax In note 1"

Technical Guruji has already told that he doesnt review, He only unboxes devices.(And still has more subs than Good reviewers :|)

I also saw Tech Burner's review. He did a good job on pointing out some issues like the multitouch problem, But that problem was later solved by micromax in a tweet.

Else, Most of the reviews looked same, which felt that MMX had given these guys some script to learn and say.
Small YouTubers are easy to manipulate.

For hindi reviews, I feel Amit Bhavani does a good job. Technical Guruji is like the ideal candidate for companies to give review units, as he doesn't review it & I don't like his content.

Beebom did a first impressions video, similarly Ranjit did an unboxing video. Reviews might be out this week or next.

Top Bottom