AMD's HD 4870 X2 Launches Tomorrow - NVIDIA's Worst Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Source

The countdown has begun, and we are getting closer to the release of ATI's "Spartan," the dual-GPU Radeon HD 4870 X2. For those who are not in the know, this is a card expected to be released tomorrow, when it will finally take NVIDIA's crown in the high-end graphics market and, at the same time, position AMD as the new leading manufacturer of high-end video cards.

The soon-to-be unveiled graphics monster is one of the most anticipated products of this summer, that is, after AMD has already succeeded to provide users with one of the best graphics cards on the market. The HD 4870 wasn't capable of topping NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 280 in terms of performance, but it sure did bring to the table an impressive performance level for a considerably lower price tag, compared with NVIDIA's offer. Based on this RV770 graphics processor, the Sunnyvale-based chip maker has decided to roll out a new card, which will feature two of these GPUs on one single PCB.

The result is nothing short of a graphics monster ready to take on any of the latest high-end games with the help of its 1600 Stream processors. The card is expected to feature 2GB of GDDR5 graphics memory and support for CrossFire X, and PCI-Express 2.0 interfaces. The GPU speed for the reference card will be set at 750MHz, while the memory will work at the 3600MHz.

MSI's Radeon HD 4870X2
Enlarge picture
Despite the fact that it hasn't been officially announced just yet, the company's board partners are ready to deliver their own implementations of the new GPU. According to a recent post on TCMagazine, Taiwanese manufacturer MSI plans to roll out two new models based on AMD's flagship graphics card, one of which will provide a boost of performance through a factory-overclocked GPU.

These first arrivals will be codenamed R4870X2-T2D2G and R4870X2-T2D2G-OC. Both cards will feature 2GB of GDDR5 memory, but the OC model will come with a GPU speed of 780MHz, 30MHz higher than the reference model. Currently, there are no details regarding pricing but, after tomorrow's release, we should know for certain which manufacturer has the best offer.
1600 Stream processors
2GB of GDDR5
The GPU speed for the reference card will be set at 750MHz, while the memory will work at the 3600MHz.
nVidia is HISTORY:D

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^LOL.. Yeah.. I don't want to change it to ATi now.. So my user title is now ATi.

OT:
ATi = Anyday better than a geforce Ti :D:D:D

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
kewl.lets see how much it costs when it hits the market.time has come for me to upgrade my 8800GTS 320MB.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Benchmarks say its the fastest card out there, beats nvidia's best hands down :D

*www.engadget.com/2008/08/12/amd-dubs-hd-4870-x2-worlds-fastest-graphics-card-benchmarks/

Way to go AMD!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
OMFG, even this card runs at a max of 30fps on a 24" display with full eye candy on.

I HATE crysis :)

tomshardware says 25% better on average than the GeForce GTX 280 and up to 51% at the highest resolutions

Should cost around 430euro in UK (27,126.16 INR)

Last edited:
This card is going to be Total Pwnage over nVidia.
I KNEW that they would add 2GB memory. With even 1GB, it would be highly crippled.
If it comes at 30K to India, nobody is going to even look at GTX280.

Next I am looking forward to the launch of HD4850GX2 with 1.5GB Memory. If it comes at 20K, another big blow will land over nVidia's 9800GX2 card.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I think 4850X2 will cost around $375 or $350.

because the price of HD4570 X2 is less than 2xHD4870.

in the same way price of HD4850 should be less than 2xHD4850.

Last edited:

yesh1683

In the zone
Single 4870X2 beats GTX280 SLI:shock::shock: that too in CRYSIS

*inlinethumb29.webshots.com/6684/2985421860103661503S600x600Q85.jpg

Some Reviews
*www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3372&p=4
*www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4870-x2-review-crossfire/

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Don't use Crysis as the game to compare any graphics cards. But yes, the 4870X2 is a monster and can beat every nvidia card out there.

@Metal: Did ATi confirm 4850X2? Will they release it?

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Awesome.. Thanks for the info Cool G5.
Now nvidia is even more screwed.
I hope the 4850X2 is almost as good as the GTX280.:D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^Don't use Crysis as the game to compare any graphics cards. But yes, the 4870X2 is a monster and can beat every nvidia card out there.

@Metal: Did ATi confirm 4850X2? Will they release it?

GRID does 100+fps at fullHD with full eye candy on :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Anybody here with an AGP mobo?
Or I am the most luckiest person here :p

Maybe in my next upgrade... till then no gaming

OP
nvidia

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Power consumption on load : 452W!!
4870X2 CF : 752W!
GRID does 100+fps at fullHD with full eye candy on
Yes.. But on the other side, according to AnadTech, even the 4870X2 CF didn't perform better than the GTX260 SLI in Assassin's Creed. I guess thats a problem with the game and not the card.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom