AMD FX 8370E for $160 or Intel i5-3690k for $210?

monkey

Padawan
I am thinking of upgrading my system a bit. One choice I have is to go for best CPU my MoBo supports ie. FX 8370E which I am getting for $160 in US. Other option is to opt for Intel i5-3690k available for $210 (but I will have to spend more for the Z97 MoBo too). Is 3690k worth extra $50?

Which option should I opt for considering I will not be spending more on the system for atleast 2 more years?

I am into gaming and would like the opinion based on it. My budget is 20k (max).

Nerevarine

Incarnate
FX 8370E is a bit pricier for what it offers, go for it, if u dont want to spend extra on mobo upgrade
*media.bestofmicro.com/N/H/451853/original/65-DiRT-3-R9-295X2.png

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
What is your current configuration?

Its in my signature

FX 8370E is a bit pricier for what it offers, go for it, if u dont want to spend extra on mobo upgrade
*media.bestofmicro.com/N/H/451853/original/65-DiRT-3-R9-295X2.png

Actually I was trying for 8370 but it seems it is not supported by my MoBo. So I thought of upgrading to 8370E (which is currently max for my MoBo). 8370 and 8370E have not been launched in India yet and when they do they will priced around 14k (going by the current AMD processor prices). I, thus, wanted to get them now at better price in the US but was wondering if it would be worth.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
If the sole purpose is gaming and you do not intend to overclock, then get i5 4570 and gigabyte b85m d3h

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
If the sole purpose is gaming and you do not intend to overclock, then get i5 4570 and gigabyte b85m d3h

Actually I will be overclocking. I already have Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler for it. Even now my proc. is running at 3.8GHz.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Overclocking an 8 core CPU on your current mobo may be a bad idea! You may fry your CPU as well as mobo. Small overclock may be possible but that might not bring considerable improvements.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
So should I go for Intel upgrade then?

Also, how would FX-6350 be with this MoBo? Should I consider it too?

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Fx 6350 is good for the price. You can go for it and upgrade to Intel skylake when it releases. Till then 6350 will do good.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
OK. I will go for FX-6350 for $105 now and upgrade the entire rig about 2 years down the line. I hope FX-6350 will hold good till then.

BTW, I wonder why AMD's site doesn't list FX-6350 in it. Its strange, isn't it?

Top Bottom