AMD FirePro W4100 and Dell U2415 combination for a Quad/4 Monitor Set-up.

LUCKY STRIKE

Right off the assembly line
Hi, Everybody!

My Desktop details are as under:-
1) Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (3 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
2) Motherboard: ASUS & M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3
3) Memory: 20480MB/ 20 GB RAM
4) SSD:- Samsung 850 PRO 256GB (Dedicatedly used only for running OS & Soft wares)
5) Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
6) Present GPU:- Integrated On-Board Graphic Card (ATI Radeon HD 4250)
7) Expansion Slots Empty on Motherboard:- PCIe 2.0 X 16 Slot-1 No., PCIe 2.0 X 1 Slot-2 Nos. &
PCI Slot-1 No.

After lot of help from guys like you and my subsequent research, I have finalised to go ahead with the following for my Quad/ 4 Monitor Setup,

1) GPU:- AMD FirePro W4100 1 No. and
2) Monitors:- Dell UltraSharp U2415, 24”, 16:10 (1920x1200) 4 Nos.

Links showing details for both the above products are given below,
AMD FirePro™ W4100 Professional Graphics
*www.amdfireprohub.com/onlineselector/en/next/downloads/11/W4100_Datasheet_EN.pdf
Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415 | Dell Indi
Product Support | Dell Singapore

I will install the GPU in PCIe 2.0 X 16 Slot which is empty on my motherboard.

As you can see W4100 has 4 Mini DisplayPort 1.2a Output, EACH capable of MST (Multi Stream Transport) and Dell U2415 has DisplayPort Input as well as DisplayPort Output with Daisy Chaining.

I will be doing the following at 4 x 1920x1200@60Hz in Extended Mode:-

1) My Equity, Commodity, Forex and Binary Options Trading business where I need to manage lots of critical transactions at once — and that often means multiple displays. That means applications have to present lots of Tables, Charts, and Graphs — each in their own windows, and all at a glance.

2) Account Reconciliation work where the primary applications are MS-Excel, Word and my Accounting Software all in 2D only.

3) There will be STRICTLY NO Video Games, Graphics, Video Editing, PhotoShop, Corel Draw, Maya, AutoCAD etc. work at all on this Set-up.

4) If possible, occasionally would like to watch Movies in the “Eyefinity” Display Set-up i.e. SLS (Single Large Screen) which in my case will be {3840 x 2400 i.e. (1920 x2) x (1200x2)}.
But, this movie watching is strictly a secondary matter. If I can do it, Ammmmmazing, if not, sad but OK.

Just wanted to make sure of the following before investing so much,

1)
Will I be able to do a Quad/ 4 Monitor Setup with this GPU & Monitor on my above-referred system?

2)
Will I be able to run each monitor at 1920x1200 resolution in Extended Display?

3)
If “Yes” for 2 above, then, can I use ANY of the following options given below to achieve this,

Option 1st:-
Directly connect each monitor DP Input with each GPU Mini DP Output by a Mini-DP to DP Cable.

Option 2nd:- Connect 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Monitor DP Input with GPU Mini DP Output by a Mini-DP to DP Cable and Daisy Chain the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Monitor and then Connect 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Monitor DP Input with GPU Mini DP Output by a Mini-DP to DP Cable and Daisy Chain the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Monitor.

Option 3rd:- Connect 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Monitor DP Input with GPU Mini DP Output by a Mini-DP to DP Cable and Daisy Chain the 2[SUP]nd, 3rd[/SUP] and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Monitor.

4) Which of the above 3 Options will be best suited for my purpose?

5)
Are there any other options besides the above 3 which can be used?

6)
As far as my understanding goes for any of the above 3 options I will NOT have to buy any “Active” or “Passive” Adapters, correct?

Any other valuable suggestions will be more than welcomed.

Waiting for your confirmation.

Thanks in advance!

Warm Regards
Lucky Strike

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daisy chaining will work with > DP 1.2. Option 1 certainly works. Option 2 and 3 will work too.

4 monitors will work.

yes, you don't need any active / passive adapters.

Top Bottom