amd a10 or intel i5 lappy

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Looking for a laptop in the range of Rs 35K to 40K in Chandigarh

Will be using it mainly for programming, application development along with gaming and everyday normal use. Will have dual boot OS (win 7 and ubuntu).
I am not a hardcore gamer but do enjoy playing at high res and details, but not a preference. Will play mostly FPS n racing titles.

Full hd screens wont come up in this price range, so hd or hd+ is fine by me. Prefer No reflective screens. Want it to be light weight (2 to 2.5 kg), so 13'' to 15'' would be good.

Have searched around and found 2 options so far:

1. HP Pavilion G6-2313AX
APU Quad Core A10/ 6GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph

2. Samsung NP350V5X-S01IN
3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph

Both have HD 7670m gfx, which i think is good enough for light to mid level gaming. So it narrows down to choice of cpu. A10 or i5 according to my usage needs. Both have turbos. I know the a10 has 4 cores compared to i5s 2 cores, but what about performance difference since i5 has hyperthreading.

Any other suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
pure computing wise.. i5 beats the a10 hands down.
however, if you are playing gpu intensive games, then the Hp laptop will fare far better as it will run in crossfire mode thus giving it a major boost. however, you might feel left out in cpu intensive games like bf3 where cpu matters a lot.

Also, the a10 offered in the g6 belongs to a very old generation.

however, neither laptop won't allow you to play at medium high .. most of current games will only run at low-medium i guess

given the 2 choices... my personal preference will be the one with i5 cause one can always overclock the gpu to some extent in laptops.

PS : Samsung has bad service though.

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok what about this combo for around 34K

Samsung NP300E5V-S02IN Laptop
3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 1GB 8750m, but no usb 3.0

Better gfx with an i3. Would be good for gaming i suppose, but would be it be powerful enough for my other needs as stated above?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I dont see why an i3 wont suffice in your case .. What kind of application development are you gonna go for ? Will you be using VMWare ? or anything as taxing ? if not, then an i3 is good enough

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
I dont see why an i3 wont suffice in your case .. What kind of application development are you gonna go for ? Will you be using VMWare ? or anything as taxing ? if not, then an i3 is good enough

Mostly mobile application development, Android and windows along with website building.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Then I dont think it will have a big difference.. even their scores are pretty much close.. But in high end games, the i5 would have benefitted you (provided both had same GPU, which in this case is not)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
The i5 is better overall but hp has way better service and design than Samsung I know because I had a Samsung laptop and I currently have a hp g6 a10 and a inspiron turbo 15r the hp does heat up a little and the fan is very loud but its very lightweight and is vfm overall as well however since u have an i5 option take an i5 laptop with say a 7670m or nvidia equivalent from a better company than Samsung

OP
true_lies

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
I was in favour of the samsung so far, but the a.s.s. of samsung (according to quite a few people) has me wondering now.

Well not every laptop/brand is perfect or vfm, any suggestions from you guys are welcome. i3 or i5 with a good enough gfx in under 40k

Last edited:
Top Bottom