Alternate job options for Software Developers which give mental peace & don't compromise significantly on income

srdigit16

In the zone
I am currently working as an Android Developer for > 4 years. I was not so much passionate about programming & learned it because I was having basic knowledge in Java & no other oppurtunites for my interests then. Now I face the typical problems of developers in IT Companies & have reached a stage where I code mainly for income & to prevent unemployed. I also don't like my project manager because he is a nitpicky person & also assigns the app developers to pressure API developers to develop APIs faster to prevent project delay & doesn't accept any reasons for delay which may not be our fault. I want to escape from this programming job

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Welcome to the Corporate world. There is favoritism, quid pro quo. Make your presence felt in the organization. Socialize well and talk to your Project/Department Head about your intention of Switching role.

If nothing works then time to Switch company.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Welcome to the Corporate world. There is favoritism, quid pro quo. Make your presence felt in the organization. Socialize well and talk to your Project/Department Head about your intention of Switching role.

If nothing works then time to Switch company.
I am not working in corporate or MNC. I'm working in startup & working remotely

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I am currently working as an Android Developer for > 4 years. I was not so much passionate about programming & learned it because I was having basic knowledge in Java & no other oppurtunites for my interests then. Now I face the typical problems of developers in IT Companies & have reached a stage where I code mainly for income & to prevent unemployed. I also don't like my project manager because he is a nitpicky person & also assigns the app developers to pressure API developers to develop APIs faster to prevent project delay & doesn't accept any reasons for delay which may not be our fault. I want to escape from this programming job

What is your thought about doing MBA? If you did btech less than 5 years ago you may go for it.

Do you specifically hate Android programming or programming as a whole?

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
What is your thought about doing MBA? If you did btech less than 5 years ago you may go for it.

Do you specifically hate Android programming or programming as a whole?
I am not good at other programming platforms. What I hate more is 'working as a developer'.
I would like the job of reviewing gadgets, apps etc. But no opportunities for the same & may not get regular income.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I am not good at other programming platforms. What I hate more is 'working as a developer'.
I would like the job of reviewing gadgets, apps etc. But no opportunities for the same & may not get regular income.

For reviewing job, you need to establish yourself and to establish its best to start at college days.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
For reviewing job, you need to establish yourself and to establish its best to start at college days.
Where do I start establishing myself? And why from college days itself? I'm 30. Is age a limitation for this?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Where do I start establishing myself? And why from college days itself? I'm 30. Is age a limitation for this?

Actually, establishment depends on what type of review you want to do. Since blogs are outdated now, people prefer video review. But if you see on yt, it is way too saturated. So if you want to establish yourself now you will need to spend atleast 2-3 years in infancy of your channel to reach the 100k mark. After 100k your channel will only need quality content to grow.

I recommend college days since at that time one can confirm if the review thing is profitable or not, and is sustainable. But if you start now you will need invest i.e. spend your own money by buying gadgets to review. After that too, there is no surety that it will grow. Very high risk thing now.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Actually, establishment depends on what type of review you want to do. Since blogs are outdated now, people prefer video review. But if you see on yt, it is way too saturated. So if you want to establish yourself now you will need to spend atleast 2-3 years in infancy of your channel to reach the 100k mark. After 100k your channel will only need quality content to grow.

I recommend college days since at that time one can confirm if the review thing is profitable or not, and is sustainable. But if you start now you will need invest i.e. spend your own money by buying gadgets to review. After that too, there is no surety that it will grow. Very high risk thing now.
What about working as reviewer in technology portals instead of having own YT channel or blog? My question is also on other alternative job careers for developers to have mental peace & better work life balance

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Try and apply for other big MNCs and product based companies. The stress should be lesser than your current job. This stress thing completely depends on the managers and leads. Switch company as soon as possible. Keep working for salary but with lesser stress. On the side you can explore your hobbies and think how can you earn money through those.
Whatever you plan, keep Step 1 as apply for other jobs with your current experience.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
@TheSloth By product based companies you mean companies which earn by making & selling it's own products, as in the case of IT companies it is a web application or mobile app right?
My previous company also has its own mobile app developed my me for Android as well as client projects also. But for the company's own app often had to put urgent updates to keep it's rating & prevent revenue from going down.
My current company though a client app & website but have agreed to give lifetime support for it & 1 website. Usually holidays on weekend last week made all employees work on Saturday saying overall work completion is not upto expectation though only 2 or 3 employees have many work pending. Also reduced 1.5 days salary because I was unable to work due to laptop issue (remote work) I am also not able to show my real speed of work because API developers not providing APIs on time as they are also busy with other projects.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Usually holidays on weekend last week made all employees work on Saturday saying overall work completion is not upto expectation though only 2 or 3 employees have many work pending.

This should be strictly optional and anyone working on weekends should be paid 2X of what they get paid on weekdays.

Also reduced 1.5 days salary because I was unable to work due to laptop issue (remote work)

This should never happen, even if its remote work.

I am also not able to show my real speed of work because API developers not providing APIs on time as they are also busy with other projects.

Then it is the incompetence of your product manager (PM) and you need to highlight it. Why did he/she not block your story/task until it's dependencies were cleared (API Developers story or task).
If you accept a story/task before it's dependencies are cleared, then they will have a reason to blame you.

I can see you have a lot of toxic management, I would say start applying on linkedin and just switch.

vito scalleta

In the zone
The good thing about programming jobs are that they are so many of them. You can move to a company where employees are valued better.

There are not non-it companies (such as manufacturing, banking) that hire developers to work on their tools. Work like balance is usually much better in these companies. But you don't get to grow a lot technically because of proprietary tools and systems. You can get over this by learning what you love at your own leisure.

Remember any industry can have toxic managers. As we grow up we need to find ways to prevent the toxicity of others from affecting our mental well being. You will get there.

Good luck.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
This should be strictly optional and anyone working on weekends should be paid 2X of what they get paid on weekdays.

This should never happen, even if its remote work.

Then it is the incompetence of your product manager (PM) and you need to highlight it. Why did he/she not block your story/task until it's dependencies were cleared (API Developers story or task).
If you accept a story/task before it's dependencies are cleared, then they will have a reason to blame you.

I can see you have a lot of toxic management, I would say start applying on linkedin and just switch.
the problem with switching jobs is that I will again be stuck in Probationary Period. Even for experienced there is 3 months probationary period.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
The good thing about programming jobs are that they are so many of them. You can move to a company where employees are valued better.

There are not non-it companies (such as manufacturing, banking) that hire developers to work on their tools. Work like balance is usually much better in these companies. But you don't get to grow a lot technically because of proprietary tools and systems. You can get over this by learning what you love at your own leisure.

Remember any industry can have toxic managers. As we grow up we need to find ways to prevent the toxicity of others from affecting our mental well being. You will get there.

Good luck.
how can I know whether the work environment is employee friendly in a new company? Any tips

khalil1210

In the zone
how can I know whether the work environment is employee friendly in a new company? Any tips
Reach out to people on linked in and ask how is work culture

Ask questions in interview how they estimate deadline. What they do if they miss any deadlines. How do they deal with production issues.

khalil1210

In the zone
Also check for glassdoor reviews.

You can reach to your school / college mates to ask how their work/life is going on. They might also have 4 years of experience and they might be some better or worse place. Atleast they can give different perspective and some can give tips and references.
Try to build on your network.

You can also ask in reddit ( Reddit - Dive into anything also have a discord group.

Also if you people in family /extended family with jobs other than it or who run business how to deal with situation like this.

Top Bottom