Alliance broadband

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Guys,

Finally decided to go for Alliance broadband, in North Kolkata. For installation they are taking:

For cabling Rs.1500
For converter from fiber cable to LAN cable Rs.1200
First month package Rs. 767 (85Mbps plan)

Now my relative who stays in North Kolkata too also got it, but he did not pay the Rs.1200.

My question is what is this for? When I asked them, they told it is for converter device from fiber cable to LAN cable. Is this really required? Cannot I use a normal router with the fiber cable?

They also told to buy a gigabit router for better speeds and stability.

Please advise.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Yeah it's required. Your computer won't "detect" the fiber cable (for the lack of a better term).

Recently got BSNL Fiber at our place and installation cost was Rs. 5000/- that included everything

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
They provide a GPON device + u have to use a normal router.
I dont have Alliance but SS cablenet which is a local provider for Alliance
I had to shell out Rs 5000 for installation because my area connectivity sucks and i had no options.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Yeah it's required. Your computer won't "detect" the fiber cable (for the lack of a better term).

Recently got BSNL Fiber at our place and installation cost was Rs. 5000/- that included everything

Understood, but my relative did not pay for this. That is where the confusion is.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
They provide a GPON device + u have to use a normal router.
I dont have Alliance but SS cablenet which is a local provider for Alliance
I had to shell out Rs 5000 for installation because my area connectivity sucks and i had no options.
What router? Do I have to purchase a gigabit one which costs almost double the normal 300Mbps router?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Please post the picture of the equipment they provide when your installation done....I'm using Alliance Broadband two and half years, my operator took 1500/- before lockdown to provide Fiber Cable conversion....but still no work done, maybe due to Covid-19.

samiryadav

Broken In
Guys,

Finally decided to go for Alliance broadband, in North Kolkata. For installation they are taking:

For cabling Rs.1500
For converter from fiber cable to LAN cable Rs.1200
First month package Rs. 767 (85Mbps plan)

Now my relative who stays in North Kolkata too also got it, but he did not pay the Rs.1200.

My question is what is this for? When I asked them, they told it is for converter device from fiber cable to LAN cable. Is this really required? Cannot I use a normal router with the fiber cable?

They also told to buy a gigabit router for better speeds and stability.

Please advise.
The device in question is GPON ONT/ONU device( optical network terminal).It converts the optical to Etherrnet/LAN.
That has to be refundable security deposit.
When you will return the GPON device to them, they will refund the deposit.
Most fiber operators do that.Not sure about your particular one.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
The device in question is GPON ONT/ONU device( optical network terminal).It converts the optical to Etherrnet/LAN.
That has to be refundable security deposit.
When you will return the GPON device to them, they will refund the deposit.
Most fiber operators do that.Not sure about your particular one.
They said nothing about refundable deposit.

quicky008

Technomancer

in which city do you reside?At our place there's still no sign of bsnl fiber and their standard adsl service is degrading day by day.I am thinking of giving up my bsnl connection.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in which city do you reside?At our place there's still no sign of bsnl fiber and their standard adsl service is degrading day by day.I am thinking of giving up my bsnl connection.
Keep it as an incoming only "SULABH" plan connection, comes handy in giving as an address proof where you don't want to give your voter id/driving license.

quicky008

Technomancer
bsnl's employees are totally corrupt......few weeks ago there was a storm and our tel. cable got severed-i complained at the local tel. office but the manager said he wont be able to send someone to fix the cable as all of their employees are on strike.

Then a few days later a man came to my house claiming that he was from the telephone office-he said he could fix the problem,but it would cost me a whopping rs 1500!!! But he said that he would repair the cable so well that i would never run into any issues with it again.

As i had no other choice,i had to shell out Rs 1500 for that job-he restored my connection by joining two ends of the severed cable together(which barely took 10-15 mins).I requested him to replace the faulty cable but he said it wasn't required.

Barely had a week or two passed since then,my telephone connection started acting up again and broadband stopped working! As usual the tel. office manager said due to the ongoing strike,he wont be able to send anyone.Then i contacted that fellow -he said he could repair it,but this time it would cost me Rs 1000!!!

I refused to pay that amount and as of this date neither my landline nor is my broadband working-thus i am seriously considering getting rid of bsnl as i cant keep paying 700-800 per month for such a lousy service.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I've had experience very similar with govt services. SBI, BSNL, it was all the same to me.
There is a reason private broadband is doing much better.
These guys act this way because they know there is no competition. The moment competiton erupts, they will be thrown out of the window.

quicky008

Technomancer
I've had experience very similar with govt services. SBI, BSNL, it was all the same to me.
There is a reason private broadband is doing much better.
These guys act this way because they know there is no competition. The moment competiton erupts, they will be thrown out of the window.
Even the pvt cable broadband provider in our area is highly corrupt - he is the sole cable operator in this area and thus has a sort of monopoly on this business-he has eliminated all other players from this field using political and other devious means.

We got rid of our cable tv connection long ago due to frequent service disruption and poor reception quality and switched to dth.

Later when i approached the cable operator for broadband connection he demanded around rs 7000 as installation charges,which was an astronomical sum. My friends living in urban areas got similar connections by paying around rs 2000 only.

He was clearly overcharging as he knew the customers were at his mercy as he was the only cable wallah in this area. At this i had to back off.

So i am stuck in a really difficult situation - neither do i want to continue using bsnl, nor can i switch to cable due to its steep cost.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Even the pvt cable broadband provider in our area is highly corrupt - he is the sole cable operator in this area and thus has a sort of monopoly on this business-he has eliminated all other players from this field using political and other devious means.

We got rid of our cable tv connection long ago due to frequent service disruption and poor reception quality and switched to dth.

Later when i approached the cable operator for broadband connection he demanded around rs 7000 as installation charges,which was an astronomical sum. My friends living in urban areas got similar connections by paying around rs 2000 only.

He was clearly overcharging as he knew the customers were at his mercy as he was the only cable wallah in this area. At this i had to back off.

So i am stuck in a really difficult situation - neither do i want to continue using bsnl, nor can i switch to cable due to its steep cost.
Usually the private services are offering you with this astronomical cost because your area doesnt have connectivity. They have to bring a cable from a far node to your area, thats why the extra cost of fiber. Obviously they are scamming you, the real cost is nowhere near that.

If another person takes a connection after you take with the astronomical cost, it would be somewhat reasonable like 2000.

I had to pay 5000 to get alliance installed in my location because my hands were tied because of WFH. Cannot use Jio 4G for WFH, as I had to frequently present in meetings.

That's expensive.

My ACT connection in Bengaluru had free installation if I opted for 3 month payment plan, along with a router (got Tenda AC1200).

Top Bottom