additional RAM for asus X512FA laptop

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
4 GB DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM Onboard memory, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion, total up to 12 GB SDRAM...this is the info on my laptop
We know but what we wanted was details of ram timings like CL17/18/19 etc. If you want to take chance anyway then here are 2 options:

Make sure to select seller as TPS Technologies or A1Price A1 Products

*www.amazon.in/Micron-Basic-Crucial-2400MHZ-SODIMM/dp/B07PM6MWJD/

*www.amazon.in/Crucial-DDR4-Laptop-Memory-2400MHZ/dp/B01N79H5HV/

*www.amazon.in/Micron-Basic-Crucial-2400MHZ-SODIMM/dp/B07PM6MWJD/

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
will adding a RAM without using a authorized service centre void this lappie warantee...
Depends on whether there is a separate sub panel in base cover just for accessing empty ram slot & whether you are skilled enough to open it, add ram & close it without breaking anything.

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
4 GB DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM Onboard memory, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion, up to 12 GB...my laptop specs...this means i can add only 8 GB RAM additionally??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
4 GB DDR4 2400MHz SDRAM Onboard memory, 1 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion, up to 12 GB...my laptop specs...this means i can add only 8 GB RAM additionally??
If you get a single 16 GB stick, then that will work too.

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan

Attachments

• ram-speccy.png
    ram-speccy.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    355.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    292.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    204.2 KB · Views: 115

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
CPUZ shows nothing in the RAM/memory page..i dont know why
Firstly, NEVER run a program from inside the archive file. Extract it, press shift+right click on the extracted exe and click "Run as Administrator". Then in CPU-Z open memory & SPD tabs. If SPD tab is empty, change the selected slot from the drop down on left side. Take screenshots of everything and post here.

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
cant upload here...size files too big..but all both slots in spd empty..no input...similarily in memory only 4GB seen nothing else...any other software to try

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
16 gb stick will be double sided ram. May not work. 8gb are single sided, so it will work for sure.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk
yes, that is true. Earlier laptops used to have problems with dual-rank modules.

But I don't think these issues have been present since later DDR3L-based laptops.

Are you sure, it may be laptop bios limitation or may be the ram will work but the system won't see more than 12gb total ram?
I don't think addressing the memory will be a problem. I have used 2*16GB DDR4 on an i7-7700K- Edit: i7-7700HQ based laptop and it worked without any problem. DIMMs were dual-rank and laptop supported dual-channel.

However, if both the soldered DIMM and the slot are interfaced to the same memory channel, then having three ranks (16GB will be dual-rank, soldered will be one rank) on one channel might be problematic (mostly due to the quality of laptop PCB).

If they are interfaced to different channels, then it is still dual-channel but without interleaving (utility software will not report dual-channel operation). No interleaving means the soldered DIMM and the slot DIMM have separate physical address spaces i.e. practically it's single-channel. You will see "dual-channel"-like benefits only when software(s) have been allocated pages from both DIMMs and are being accessed equally. Some memory controllers might interleave the amount equal to the smaller DIMM across channels, but these details are obscure.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think addressing the memory will be a problem. I have used 2*16GB DDR4 on an i7-7700K-based laptop and it worked without any problem. DIMMs were dual-rank and laptop supported dual-channel.

However, if both the soldered DIMM and the slot are interfaced to the same memory channel, then having three ranks (16GB will be dual-rank, soldered will be one rank) on one channel might be problematic (mostly due to the quality of laptop PCB).

If they are interfaced to different channels, then it is still dual-channel but without interleaving (utility software will not report dual-channel operation). No interleaving means the soldered DIMM and the slot DIMM have separate physical address spaces i.e. practically it's single-channel. You will see "dual-channel"-like benefits only when software(s) have been allocated pages from both DIMMs and are being accessed equally. Some memory controllers might interleave the amount equal to the smaller DIMM across channels, but these details are obscure.
Good info. :) Most laptops won't have this detailed info though so going by comments on amazon I think single channel ram is safer bet for older laptops(say 4th/5th gen or older). Your i7 7700k laptop was surely a rare & high-end model so I think it would have supported many things which lower end laptops might not have at that time.

OP
A

andy_65_in

Padawan
Have you right clicked & selected "run as admin" option when launching cpu-z?

Try this tool to see if it can show memory details:
*www.hwinfo.com/download/
see this,tell mw ehich is the best 8 GB RAM to buy

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    191.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Top Bottom