1. Hi Guest
    We are running a survey about laptop service in India, and we'd love your inputs. Please help us improve the quality of laptop servicing, and if you've had any bad experiences, now is the time to be heard.
    Take the survey

Access wifi on desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vivek.virgo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. vivek.virgo

vivek.virgo Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. Desmond David

Desmond David Destroy Erase Improve

Tethering is only good if you have no other choice. A dedicated wifi adapter will definitely be much more helpful.

vivek.virgo likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    vivek.virgo

vivek.virgo Member

I am using tethering only temporarily to see if i can get 4g speed on my desktop.
    I just wanted to know if the wifi adapter I mentioned in my first post will be enough to get decent speeds. I am bit sceptical since it is priced less compared to other adapters atleast on flipkart.

4. Desmond David

If it supports 802.11n you will get the speed you want since 802.11n has a band of 5 GHz and max bandwidth of 600 megabits per second.

Of course, your wifi router or access point must also be capable of creating a 802.11n network though most adapters are backwards compatible with 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g as well.

5. cute.bandar

cute.bandar Active Member

I don't think that would be the case.. Usb tethering should be faster than wifi hotspot or atleast comparable to. Gentle Note : OP is not using a dedicated router, but a hotspot..

OP: Short answer yes, that wifi adapter should get decent speeds , it maybe better to get one with an antenna , like this Terabyte Wireless WiFi Connnector 802.11n/g/b Dongle WiFi Network LAN Card long range USB Adapter - Terabyte : Flipkart.com .
    I had a similar looking one. They work well.Although I destroyed mine by opening it, so can't really comment on quality.

6. billubakra

billubakra Well-Known Member

Get the one by Tp-Link and you will surely get decent 4g speeds.

7. Desmond David

That may be the case but you have to keep your phone around all the time so that's kind of not very convenient IMO.

8. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator

99% of wifi n devices in India are single band 2.4GHz,cheapest 5Ghz wifi adapter I have seen starts at ~Rs.900.In fact nowadays it will be hard to even find "dual band n" devices & instead you will get 5GHz ac wifi devices but then even many mobiles too don't have 5GHz/ac wifi support.

9. Desmond David

Oh well.
    The wifi adapter I currently use is one from 2014 and it supports a, b and g so I thought new ones will also be backwards compatible.

10. whitestar_999

They are but as I said,most ac-n devices also support 2.4GHz which is also the band used by ac-g so no issues.Even ac wifi devices also have both bands(2.4GHz & 5GHz) so they too are backward compatible.Only issue is that if you connect a wifi-g device to a wifi-n network then all devices will drop down to 54mbps of wifi-g standard even if they are not wifi-g devices but are wifi-n devices.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    cute.bandar likes this.
  11. cute.bandar

cute.bandar Active Member

@whitestar_999 that's good info. I mistakenly used to think that ac/n wifi means 5Ghz
    Edit: ok so I was very confusion. Reason is I assumed ac wifi is same as n wifi. They are different.
    AC means 5GHz, its latest . N wifi are generally 2.4Ghz, but can also support 5Ghz , depending on device.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  12. whitestar_999

AC wifi does mean 5GHz but it also supports 2.4GHz. Normal N devices are 2.4GHz but some N wifi devices supports both 2.4GHz & 5GHz(they are usually called dual band N devices but I think nowadays they are completely replaced by AC devices).

P.S.edited my previous post for better clarity.