About Longhorn (Beta)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

curvenger

Broken In
Well this new baby is not that bad, but the problem is that its too slow ... even though Microsoft doesnt release the System requirements, atleast 512MB of RAM, and 1 Ghz of processor will be needed, I use 384(256+128) Mb of RAM and still very slow, and there are too many services running in background which ordinary user might not need, and the search system is not that good, but the picture view style is nice! And I was surprised to see that the explorer itself uses 58 Mb of RAM!!! that was too much .. and theres also a some problem with the sidebar... when u run some program and minimize in tray, and then then terminate the programs but the trace is still in the side bar ...and i hope microsoft will deal with this .. well u can say more about this new baby!

Satan_Rulez

Broken In
But that is why its still in its Beta stage with the drawbacks.
These matters would be solved when the retail version is out.

MIn req could be 256MB ram n some GHZ cpu.
Dont think it would be 512MB ram.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I think its basically with the File system WINFS used in longhorn thats still in developmental stage...if u disable Winfs and choose NTFS you can have longhorn as fast as WinXP .....hmmmm Almost....Beta beta

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Beta, it's still beta ;). That's why there are so many faults in it right now.

JAK

What the Heck !
Kl@w-24 said:
Beta, it's still beta ;). That's why there are so many faults in it right now.

lol...if u knew M$ well u'd know that their final versions also behave as beta's....lol.... :wink:

prankzter

Journeyman
HA...all u norton luvers...try running longhorn with norton antivirus 2004/2005...lets see what performance can the system notch up!!!

OP
C

curvenger

Broken In
Jak ur right theres not much diff in their final and beta version!! heheh but dont think i copied ur avatar .. i didnt know that ur using it before . but am not changing it .. heheh n you sound very kewl the way u write M$

OP
C

curvenger

Broken In
Satan_Rulez am saying the Beta version not the full version :) yeah u r rite 256Mb Ram will be the min req. for the full version but try running the beta with 256 MB and ull see what I mean!!!!

allajunaki

Journeyman
Sorry to dissapoint u guys LongHorn is still in "ALPHA" stage...
Beta stage is when u debug a software....
LongHorn is still in Alpha stage, That is, its still havent implemented all the intended features...
Having tested Longhorn myself i cann tell u guys that final version will be quite comfy with 256MB ram....
Well right now LongHorn requires 512MB Ram as there is a memory leak in Explorer which makes LongHorn occupy 150MB of RAM.....

--curvenger what build are u using? Im using build 4074 Released in May 2004

WinFS is still not implemented in the Alpha release (@least i didnt get an option to install WinFS). Moreover the current Desktop will be scrapped as the new Desktop will use "Avlon" presentation engine, which as far as i know willl be similar to Apple's "Quartz Extreme" of their MacOS X...
Also Longhorn will be out with DirectX 10, LongHorn alpha Still uses DX 9.0b.

allajunaki

Journeyman
Sorry to dissapoint u guys LongHorn is still in "ALPHA" stage...
Beta stage is when u debug a software....
LongHorn is still in Alpha stage, That is, its still havent implemented all the intended features...
Having tested Longhorn myself i cann tell u guys that final version will be quite comfy with 256MB ram....
Well right now LongHorn requires 512MB Ram as there is a memory leak in Explorer which makes LongHorn occupy 150MB of RAM.....

--curvenger what build are u using? Im using build 4074 Released in May 2004

WinFS is still not implemented in the Alpha release (@least i didnt get an option to install WinFS). Moreover the current Desktop will be scrapped as the new Desktop will use "Avlon" presentation engine, which as far as i know willl be similar to Apple's "Quartz Extreme" of their MacOS X...
Also Longhorn will be out with DirectX 10, LongHorn alpha Still uses DX 9.0b.

jassalmithu

Right off the assembly line
yeah as said above longhorn is still in ALPHA stage and many features are needed to improve or to add, and to get a speed increase upgrade to v7074 and try geeting it''s guide which will xplain u to switch off services and the unwanted visual effects, i have run LH 4015 for 1month very decently on a 700MHz Cyrix machine with just 192 MB RAM

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Hmmmm..
Just as i thought..its still in its alpha stage.
Maaaaan
The alpha explorer consumes 150 MB ram.
Thats quite a major flaw.
N curvenger
From where did you get ur Longhorn Beta? as you say it is.
You dont look like a beta tester to me.
Can you provide me access to the beta or to your source.?
I ld be very gratefull to u if you do that.
N sorry Raaboo.
I can almost see you lickin your lips so i wont
discuss this here anymore.
N allajunaki
R you a beta tester?
Who do u work for?
What ve you suggested to microsort in ur report?
Please enlighten me cos im very curious.
I love just love searchin for flaws in betas.
Very intresting n you also get to learn many things.
Had quite fun with the windows 'whistler' version.
So gang i Am waiting very eagerly for ur inputs.
BBye...

allajunaki

Journeyman
Well Dude i dont work for Microsoft, Hell i dont work for anyone...
Though I like to work on some Game Engine Development, and become next Carmack

Im still doin my TyBsc.Comp Sci.
I just utilized a flaw in my ISP to give some decent bandwidth with which I downlaoded LongHorn 4074 via Torrents.. Its not publicly available.. But if u search enough u will get it... ;)

OP
C

curvenger

Broken In
allajunaki am using 4051 release and yes 4075 will be much better and the memory leak in the explorer will also be less ..

Satan_Rulez

Broken In
allajunaki said:
Well Dude i dont work for Microsoft, Hell i dont work for anyone...
Though I like to work on some Game Engine Development, and become next Carmack

Im still doin my TyBsc.Comp Sci.
I just utilized a flaw in my ISP to give some decent bandwidth with which I downlaoded LongHorn 4074 via Torrents.. Its not publicly available.. But if u search enough u will get it... ;)

Can ya give more details bout the flaw.
Sounds intresting.

Status
Not open for further replies.