A decent configuration for ~60,000 Rs.

tw00bs

Right off the assembly line
Hi all!

After some research, I have tentatively decided on a list, but I thought it would be wise to ask before I spend. I know there are a lot of other threads discussing configs at similar prices, and I've been through them, but my situation is (slightly) different...

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
I'm NOT a gamer, first off...but I would still like to play the latest games on weekends and what not. As of now, I'm into games like Shadow of Mordor, Batman: Arkham Knight and quite a bit of Civ V.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
60k, as I've said...I would be very grateful if I can manage with less, without a performance compromise. Extension of the budget is a strict no-no.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:
Maybe, It's my first rig, so I'll probably try to overclock the GPU...not at the moment though...so any extra fans, etc. don't need to be included.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
Windows 10.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
around 1 TB + a boot SSD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
No. I have a 1080p 24" touchscreen.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
I have a CD-Drive.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
In a month or so.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
no, and no. First time build.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
I live in Bangalore. And this is the caveat...I will be travelling to the US for a few weeks, so I can buy components there (not something big like the cabinet though!). It would also help me if you could advice on what components I should not buy abroad and where I should tread carefully.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Yes. I have already thought about this, and ended up with a i5 4590 + GTX 960 (priced ~12k in the US), but what I would like to know is if I could fit in an i7 4770 (~19k) into this budget. I know that the processor is overkill, and wont improve gaming performance, etc., but I don't see myself playing a lot of games a few years down the line, and I could always work with medium settings if the need arose. Why I want an i7 is because this P.C. will conceivably be used for a *long* time without an upgrade (~6-7 years), and I want it to be able to comfortably run programs and a few low end games at that time. (As a result, I am hell bent on full Dx12 support (and ditched the r9 280x)...but you're the experts...tell me if I'm wrong!)

Also, visual bling, like a cabinet with a transparent side & LEDs and a good quality (preferably backlit) keyboard would sweeten the deal no end.

Once again, I can buy some of my components from the US.

thanks!

edit: spelling :p

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 60k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i5 444011,500
MotherboardAsus B85M-G5,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz3,200
Graphics CardZotac GTX 960 2GB DDR515,500
Power SupplySeasonic S12II 5204,800
CabinetCorsair SPEC-03
Internal StorageWD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD3,500
SSDSamsung 850 EVO 250GB8,000
Optical DriveAsus DRW 24B3ST DVD R/W1,000
KeyboardCooler Master Devastator Gaming Bundle2,300
Mouseincluded in combo0
Total59,600

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Instead of the monitor in above suggested config, get a Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB SSD. If you decide to skip that, you can get GTX 970 by increasing the budget slightly by 2-3k.

bssunilreddy, please DON'T repost the config again.

Edit: Remove the DVD drive if you want to. It doesn't matter a lot these days.

Last edited:
OP
T

tw00bs

Budget - 60k (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i5 444011,500
MotherboardAsus B85M-G5,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz3,200
Graphics CardZotac GTX 960 2GB DDR515,500
Power SupplySeasonic S12II 5204,800
CabinetCorsair SPEC-013,500
Internal StorageWD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Optical DriveAsus DRW 24B3ST DVD R/W
Keyboard
Cooler Master Devastator Gaming Bundle2,300
Mouseincluded in combo0
Total58,800

Thanks! but I don't really need a monitor...also, I can get anything you suggest from from the US, and as I am travelling there personally, I will not be required to pay import duties... that's why I was hoping I could fit in an i7...

Instead of the monitor in above suggested config, get a Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB SSD. If you decide to skip that, you can get GTX 970 by increasing the budget slightly by 2-3k.

bssunilreddy, please DON'T repost the config again.

Edit: Remove the DVD drive if you want to. It doesn't matter a lot these days.

Thanks!
Yes...I will need an SSD...again, I'm not a really hardcore gamer, so I was wondering, would the gtx-950 (which seems to offer a comparable performance to the gtx-960 would be a good option. Again, I would much like it if I can fit in an i7.

Edit: To reiterate: I can get components from the US (I am travelling there), so I think I can do a bit better...also I'll require advice on what components to buy from there. Further, I have a CD-Drive and a monitor, and will not need those.

Cheers!

Last edited:

rajesh00

Journeyman
Thanks! but I don't really need a monitor...also, I can get anything you suggest from from the US, and as I am travelling there personally, I will not be required to pay import duties... that's why I was hoping I could fit in an i7...

Thanks!
Yes...I will need an SSD...again, I'm not a really hardcore gamer, so I was wondering, would the gtx-950 (which seems to offer a comparable performance to the gtx-960 would be a good option. Again, I would much like it if I can fit in an i7.

Edit: To reiterate: I can get components from the US (I am travelling there), so I think I can do a bit better...also I'll require advice on what components to buy from there. Further, I have a CD-Drive and a monitor, and will not need those.

Cheers!

Go with the GTX 970.It will cost you around 22-23k in US $..

Get ATX motherboard like msi PC mate.

corsair spec 1 comes with 1 fan only.You need to buy atleast 1 fan for RARE side.

Mouse in CM bundle is not that great as gaming mouse.

For overclocking you need K processor.For overall,you can exceed your budget. Better stick with i5 4440/4570 and get good GPU like GTX 970.

Rest above mentioned.

OP
T

tw00bs

Go with the GTX 970.It will cost you around 22-23k in US $..

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid I haven't explained my situation well enough, so lemme try to do that:

1. I am not a hardcore gamer (*gasp*).
2. I only play occasionally, and can easily make do with medium to high settings at 35-40 fps (1080p).
3. I will be using this rig for only 3 years, after which it will be re purposed, and will basically not be used to play the latest games. What it should be able to do, however, is run tasks like Photoshop and some Mathematica without keeling over.

Thus (correct me if I'm wrong), I feel the GTX 970 is way overkill. Also, that is why I would like to run an i7-4770 or a comparable Xeon.

Get ATX motherboard like msi PC mate.

Okay, I'll take a look.

Mouse in CM bundle is not that great as gaming mouse.

Hmm...interesting...I have a game controller though (logitech), so I suppose It'll be alright.

For overclocking you need K processor.For overall,you can exceed your budget. Better stick with i5 4440/4570 and get good GPU

Ah...again, my mistake. I will not be overclocking the processor, as I'm under the impression that it's riskier. I was planning on overclocking the GPU if I can't play some game at high...at a future point in time. Will I need extra fans for that as well (n00b here!). Again, if you think I should overclock the processor, I'm up to trying, but I must warn you that it'll be my first time (shouldn't the first time ideally be on a friend's PC?).

Finally, I would also appreciate some advice on buying from abroad. For example, I saw on the EVGA website that they offer International Warranty...any fine print I should look out for? Are SSDs cheaper there (I've found no evidence)? Should I get my processor there? etc..

Again, thanks!

Top Bottom