75k build, need suggestions for monitor, cabinet and PSU

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
The primary task will be playing all the recent games (Dark Souls, Middle Earth, Total War, Sniper Elite, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein); watching videos and programming (just emacs/SciTE, nothing fancy).

What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
Upto 75k. Please also read the answer to last question!

Planning to overclock?
Ans:
No

Which Operating System are you p
lanning to use?
Ans:
debian and Windows 7

How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
See the answer to the question about reusing old components.

Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
I have a SyncMaster 19" LCD monitor, but I'm planning to get a 22"+ screen as primary. I'd really prefer screens which can support resolutions like 1920x1200 (16:10 ratio) and they should not be glossy.

Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:

• 120 GB SSD
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Speakers
  • I have a 500 VA UPS and will be purchasing another 1 kVA. The smaller one is for monitor and external HDDs and the bigger one for the system. Do mention whether 1 kVA will be enough.

When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
By the end of this month (October 2014)

Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
Self

Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
Currently living in Kharagpur. Yes, I can buy them online if needed.

Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
After a little bit of reading other threads, I've zeroed in on the following config:
CPUAMD FX 8320 (or 8350)11-12 k
MotherboardASUS M597A LE R2.06 k
CabinetCorsair Carbide or Master Elite 3113-5 k
RAMG.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL5-6 k
Graphics CardATI R9 280x22-25 k
MonitorLG 23EA53V13 k
I require the mother board to have at least 6 USB slots in the back panel. I am unable to decide about the power supply (and cabinet).

I want to get a decent system with a really good graphics card. I plan on getting another system next year (will put this one at home) and will be using the GPU I purchase now in that build.

anaklusmos

Youngling
If you can spare some money, better get the new GTX 970, it seems to make the R9 280x look pale in comparison, and will be more futureproof.
Also, you never mentioned the PSU.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
No point in going with M5A97 if you aren't over clocking.
Go with these -
i5 4570 - 13k
Gigabyte GA B85 D3H - 5.5k
HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k
Zotac GTX 970 Amp! - 30k
AOC I2369VM - 10k
Seasonic S12II 620W - 6k
Deepcool Tesseract/Corsair 300R - 3k/4.5k

Get APC 1100VA ~5k for UPS

Last edited:
OP
hjpotter92

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
i5 4570 - 13k
Gigabyte GA B85 D3H - 5.5k
I wish to stay away from Intel. I've had a really bad experience with the last three Intel machines I had.

No point in going with M5A97 if you aren't over clocking.
OCing is not a strict no for me. I just don't have enough cooling capacity for over clocking. I might do so in future.

HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k
2x4GB or 1x8GB?

Get APC 1100VA ~5k for UPS
I was thinking about ZEB U1000 Plus (it'll save me ~INR 1500 if I buy locally)

Zotac GTX 970 Amp! - 30k
AOC I2369VM - 10k
Seasonic S12II 620W - 6k
Deepcool Tesseract/Corsair 300R - 3k/4.5k
Looks good. I'll definitely get some more idea about these parts :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you never mentioned the PSU.

I do mention it:

I am unable to decide about the power supply (and cabinet).

Thanks for the suggestion about 970

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
I wish to stay away from Intel. I've had a really bad experience with the last three Intel machines I had.

OCing is not a strict no for me. I just don't have enough cooling capacity for over clocking. I might do so in future.

2x4GB or 1x8GB?

I was thinking about ZEB U1000 Plus (it'll save me ~INR 1500 if I buy locally)

Looks good. I'll definitely get some more idea about these parts :)

What problems did you face? And at this process point Intel is better, if it were a 7k processor I'd have suggested AMD but in this range, Intel wins.

Well for light OCing you don't need extra cooling, you can bump up 100-150MHz without any problems. If you wanna OC, go with FX 8320. And you can add cooling later too.

Its up to you. If you plan to add more RAM sticks, then go with 8GB one or else 2x4GB.

Zebronics? Stay away from these companies when it comes to these parts. Get the APC one. You are invest quite some money in this rig, you won't want a bad UPS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom