64 Bit XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicha

High without substance...
i have this doubt what is the performance improvement when i install a 64 bit XP or VISTA on my "AMD 4800+ X2".
will it be different from the current 32 bit XP i have?

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
ofcourse 64 bit OS will work better whn compared to 32 bit.. bt the thng is dat we hardly hav s/w that work on 64-bit platform. So it'll take sm time fr d 64-bit thng to get common and we can hav 64 bit versions of mst f d softwares available....

installing a 32 bit s/w wont do any gud on a 64 bit pc..:)

though i'v noticed increasd processing speeds in windowsXP 64 and VISTA Ultimate 64 on a C2Q

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
if possible you may go through this page :) *www.chotocheeta.com/2007/08/28/windows-server-xp-2003-vista-2008-x64-editions/

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
i have this doubt what is the performance improvement when i install a 64 bit XP or VISTA on my "AMD 4800+ X2".
will it be different from the current 32 bit XP i have?

You don't get performance increase using 64bit OS if you have 1gb ram in ur system, most software are still 32 bit.

To make the use of 64bit speed in real life you would need 64 bit software & over 4gb of ram, so each process can be assigned 2gb(max supported for 32 bit software) each, if the software are 64 bit then this limit will be enhanced further to 4-16gb ram each process.

32 bit softwares can max use 2gb ram of each, so a 64 bit will allow 2gb to each process (software) thus help you to multi task your machine without waiting.

shadow2get

In the zone
Have a look at the following websites for x64-bit Software, Drivers & Support:

*www.start64.com/
*www.extended64.com/
*www.planetamd64.com/
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I am using WINXP64 and it does improve performance but not much can be seen in case of 32-bit applications. I work in MAYA and wanted to use 4GB memory, so switched to 64-bit OS, as more memory does help me in working with maya. BTW, I am using 64-bit version of MAYA.
Till now haven't faced any problem with driver compatiblity, games not running or stuffs like that. In a nutshell, it does improve performance but if you are not going to use more than 2GB RAM then stick with 32-bit OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom